New Version of The Witcher Coming Soon

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Version of The Witcher Coming Soon

CD Projekt Red [http://www.cdprojekt.com/] will soon be releasing version 1.5 of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, which will come packed with more good stuff, less bad stuff and a nice little surprise for fans of the game.

The newest version of the game will include all the bonus material [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/81538] that came with The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - bug fixes, game upgrades, two new adventures, the D'jinii editor - along with five all-new fan-made adventures for Geralt and the gang. Along with those additions, CD Projekt Red is also taking something away: Version 1.5 of the game will be completely DRM-free and will not even require a disc check; gamers will be able to load and play without having the DVD in the drive.

All previous versions of the game will be compatible with the version 1.5 upgrade, including - here's the surprise - The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut, which is apparently on its way to American shores. CD Projekt Red Vice President of Marketing Tom Ohle said he's "not revealing any secrets about that one just yet," but it seems pretty clear that a third release of the hit PC RPG is on the way.

No release date has been set but the update will be available free to owners of The Witcher and The Witcher: Enhanced Edition at www.thewitcher.com [http://www.thewitcher.com].

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Not much left to affix to the end of that title. What're they gonna call 1.6? The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut Premium The box will eventually just be the title and nothing else, no screenshots or features listing.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
well, nice to see someone still cares about the customers. The original release was a bit half-done with the bugs, long loading times etc, but glad to see they didn't just drop the project once it hit the shops. The game had potential, but failed on too many accounts in order to truly bring that potential to fruition. This might just be the needed polish.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I feel proud to be a PC Gamer AND a Polish gamer. And my Witcher (pre-order ;d) might just be taken off shelf again to entertain me once more.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
That's nice, but surely they could give us fixes without resorting to making the fans purchase another copy?
I have the original and I can't play it due to overwhelming bugs, so unless I've missed something *shrugs*.

It's a nice thought but I feel like a little annoyed.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
Wizzie said:
That's nice, but surely they could give us fixes without resorting to making the fans purchase another copy?
I have the original and I can't play it due to overwhelming bugs, so unless I've missed something *shrugs*.

I have the origional too, but you can download the patch that basially turns it into the enhanced edition for free. Hopefully they will do the same for this

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
But that's kind of the point, fans don't have to purchase another copy. The Enhanced Edition, the 1.5 upgrade and the upcoming Director's Cut - which is to say, everything - is available to owners of any version of the game, including the original release, as a free download. It's a huge download, yeah, but you're getting the English translation essentially entirely redone, new adventures, new character voices and models, shitloads of tweaks and bug fixes, the editor... Really, it's the kind of product support I'd love to see from more companies.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
EMFCRACKSHOT said:
Wizzie said:

I have the origional too, but you can download the patch that basially turns it into the enhanced edition for free. Hopefully they will do the same for this
Malygris said:
But that's kind of the point, fans don't have to purchase another copy. The Enhanced Edition, the 1.5 upgrade and the upcoming Director's Cut - which is to say, everything - is available to owners of any version of the game, including the original release, as a free download. It's a huge download, yeah, but you're getting the English translation essentially entirely redone, new adventures, new character voices and models, shitloads of tweaks and bug fixes, the editor... Really, it's the kind of product support I'd love to see from more companies.
Thanks guys, seems I missed this part.
It's definitely something I'm going to look into, I have a £30 game I can't play because of the bugs.
It's looking up though.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Malygris said:
Version 1.5 of the game will be completely DRM-free
They said this about the EE too and then promptly shipped it with starforce on it. I'll DL it first and it works without a crack i might buy it.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
So...

Whens the console version coming out Projekt?
The Console version, aka Rise of the White Wolf, is tabled right now due to technical issues. I don't think we're going to be seeing it.

On the Customer Service side, yes other companies could take some lessons from the CD Projekts and Stardocks of the world. The only problem is the Pirate community needs to stop taking advantage of their good graces ala Demigod.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Jhereg42 said:
TsunamiWombat said:
So...

Whens the console version coming out Projekt?
The Console version, aka Rise of the White Wolf, is tabled right now due to technical issues. I don't think we're going to be seeing it.

On the Customer Service side, yes other companies could take some lessons from the CD Projekts and Stardocks of the world. The only problem is the Pirate community needs to stop taking advantage of their good graces ala Demigod.
Alas then, for this game would pillage and rape my PC.