Fantasy Writer David Eddings Dies At 77

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Fantasy Writer David Eddings Dies At 77

Fantasy novelist David Eddings, best known for the Belgariad and Malloreon series, passed away Tuesday at the age of 77.

Acclaimed fantasy writer David Eddings died in Carson City, Nevada on Tuesday, according to his brother. The author received acclaim and enjoyed immense popularity for his prolific work in the fantasy genre, in which he produced large multi-part series of novels like The Belgariad and The Malloreon, which followed the struggles of an orphaned boy who gets caught up in a prophecy that involves no less than the fate of the world.

Eddings, who co-authored many of his books with his wife Leigh, drew from fantasy mainstays like J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. Perhaps unlike Tolkien, however, Eddings was never high-minded about his own work, according to colleagues.

"His huge worldwide success and fame did not change Dave at all," said Jane Johnson of HarperCollins. "He was unfailingly self-effacing on the subject of his success, once saying: 'I'm never going to be in danger of getting a Nobel Prize for literature, I'm a storyteller, not a prophet. I'm just interested in a good story'."

Indeed, Eddings may have perceived of his work as a stepping stone for readers to more weighty fare. "I am here to teach a generation or two how to read," he said in 1997. "After they've finished with me and I don't challenge them any more, they can move on to somebody important like Homer or Milton."

The readership Eddings leaves behind surely won't be following his advice. They'll stick with him for years to come.

Sources: Nevada Appeal [http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/jun/04/david-eddings-dies]

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
I've never heard of this guy before. Were his books any good?

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Some were a bit hit and miss, but the The Belgariad is definitely worth reading.

I had no idea Eddings was that old, that's a real shame now. :( Condolences to his family.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
This man was an exceptional fantasy author, and the event of his death is a most unfortunate loss for the literary world.

Pawn of Prophecy, Enchanter's End Game, and indeed the entire Belgariad series, were fantastic books, and I suggest anyone who enjoyed Lord of the Rings or other such books to pick them up and give them a go.

ExodusinFlames

Apr 19, 2009
Its a tragic loss for folks who love fantasy. The Belgariad (More specifically Pawn of Prophecy, the first book in the series) is what developed my love for both the written word, and the fantasy genre on the whole.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Eddings. Join the Mrs, and continue laughing at the world.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
It is a lost to the fantasy genre. The Belgariad and Mallorean alone prove how great he was.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
One of my all time favorite fantasy authors. His books were somewhat more accessible than The Lord of the Rings (not knocking LoTR, just mentioning). He also had a flair for humor that seems to slip past most fantasy authors. His series are good and so are his books. The Redemption of Althalus was a great book.

Sad to see him go.

Bibliomancer

Apr 17, 2009
Wow, Eddings and Carradine, a sad day. The Redemption of Althalus is one of my favorite fantasy novels.

LazerFX

Driver
Sep 10, 2008
His books were, as some have said, basically the same plot re-hashed in different settings. However, saying that is somewhat missing the point - the plot may have been pretty much the same, but the characters where were his genius struck, and they were richly realised, excellently written, with a sense of humanity and reality that really sticks with you as you read them.

Still, he was a very enjoyable read, and will be sorely missed. RIP, David - I think it's time to re-read a few of your books in commemoration.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Well there goes my primary writing influence...

Eddings has basically been the primary influence in my writing since I picked up The Belgariad in High School.

His recent work hasn't been as good as his older stuff, but he was still one of my favorite authors and I had really hoped to meet him one day.

But I figured this was coming, his wife died awhile ago and I didn't think he'd be writing again...

He was also in his late 70's...

Still...

I'm quite sad about this...

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Considering I saw this right after I saw the forum about David Carradies death, this makes me very nervous.

"Looks like somebodies picking off masked heroes... no wait... people called David."

I haven't read his books but my friend was a really massive fan. I shall have to give the books a go some time... Sigh. Not as bad as when I discovered Douglas Adams, only to find out later he died a year before.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
NO!!!! The man was a legend and the source of a lot of my inspiration. Damn. Oh well. He still managed to get the Belgariad, Malloreon, Sparhawk Series' and The Redemption of Althulas into my top books series. RIP.
asinann said:
Nimbus said:
I've never heard of this guy before. Were his books any good?
He wrote 1 series 4 times, and always about a blue rock.
Have you actually read all his books? o_O