Amazon Also Selling New Dreamcasts

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Amazon Also Selling New Dreamcasts

Online retailer Amazon has also gotten into the suddenly active market of selling new, in-box Dreamcasts.

Where are all these new Dreamcasts coming from? Somewhere in a magical desert in the middle of California, there must be a warehouse full of brand-new, unsold Dreamcasts that have been sitting and awaiting some lucky fool to stumble upon them and sell them to the highest bidder.

ThinkGeek got a small allotment a few weeks ago, which promptly sold out (and brewed some on sale [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91837-Thinkgeek-Apologizes-After-Selling-Used-Dreamcasts].

The retailer's asking $119.99 for what appear to be new, in-box Dreamcasts. At that price (20 bones more than what ThinkGeek was asking) you can qualify for free shipping and before you know it, you'll be able to live out all those fond memories of 1999 when "It's Thinking" was the coolest tagline around and Tekken Tag Tournament on PS2 had the best graphics EVER.

I imagine Amazon might have a bigger stock of these than ThinkGeek did, considering they're a huge retailer with more cash to blow buying stock of nostalgia items like these, but I'd still act quickly if you want to buy one. Make sure you pick up a copy of Power Stone 2 or Seaman to go with it and you'll see for yourself what the official Amazon product review means when it says: "The Dreamcast system is, in a word, awesome."

What better way to get ready for the oncoming release of the Dreamcast 2 this September?

[Via NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364129]]

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Keane Ng said:
What better way to get ready for the oncoming release of the Dreamcast 2 this September?
Hehehe, that's just asking for trouble. There was at least one person who though Duke Nukem Forever was for real :p

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Nimbus said:
Keane Ng said:
Hehehe, that's just asking for trouble. There was at least one person who though Duke Nukem Forever was for real :p

Believe.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, I'll need to buy one if I want to play Power Stone (the best fighting games ever, imho) again, since my PSP is dead, and the load times were atrocious.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
I wanna go get mine out of the attic now and play Toy Commander all night, damm that game was fun!!

Im really surprised that Sega hasnt sold the rights or something to have Dreamcast games appear on Virtual Console/LIVE Arcade/PSN.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
9.9.09!!!!!

Sonic Adventure 3, Soul Calibur 5, Evolution 3, Powerstone 3... I can't wait for this September.

[edit] And we can't forget about a new Jet Set game and Rez 2. Seaman 2 will be so much better than Milo.

Drakulla

May 19, 2009
The Dreamcast was an awesome system back in the day. The VMU for the controller was sweet for its day. Too bad Sega stopped supporting it.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
The dreamcast, a perfect example of why good marketing is Vital. It was more powerful than the ps1 and n64/gamecube yet never did well due to Sonys unrelenting promotion of the ps2.
Correct me if im wrong there

MrPop

May 14, 2009
Ahh. Shenmue! Really unappreciated but really good. And ChuChu Rocket! :O

*Huddles around the warmth of nostalgia*.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
harhol said:
I think it had more to do with the fact that the PS2 had more than five good games...
The PS2 was actually much worse off during release than the Dreamcast was at the time when it came to good games. It took a good year or two to really get the PS2 really swinging.

The Dreamcast actually didn't do that badly but you have to take into account the massive flops that the Saturn and the whole side peripheral business (Sega CD, 32X, Mega-CD, Multi-Mega) had been. The DC was actually a pretty nice gaming device but the bullshit they'd been throwing around caught up to Sega just the wrong moment. Pissing off chains like Wal-Mart during the Saturn release to a point that they're not selling your consoles in particular was a bad, bad move.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Mine still works but I checked it out and they have a game i have been looking for. Outtrigger.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
harhol said:
johnman said:
The dreamcast, a perfect example of why good marketing is Vital. It was more powerful than the ps1 and n64/gamecube yet never did well due to Sonys unrelenting promotion of the ps2.
Correct me if im wrong there
I think it had more to do with the fact that the PS2 had more than five good games...
Number one disc spinning in the PS2 at launch. The Matrix, the DVD player built into the PS2 is what saved it because it was at the time the cheapest DVD player on the market and help solidify DVDs dominance as the future medium of video as opposed to vcds and other standards vying for dominance at the time.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
joystickjunki3 said:
9.9.09!!!!!

Sonic Adventure 3, Soul Calibur 5, Evolution 3, Powerstone 3... I can't wait for this September.

[edit] And we can't forget about a new Jet Set game and Rez 2. Seaman 2 will be so much better than Milo.

I was the very first person to buy a Dreamcast at the local Ames Department store that I worked at for the summer as my first job to pay for the very first console that I had pre-ordered, I still have the receipt somewhere.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Drakulla said:
The Dreamcast was an awesome system back in the day. The VMU for the controller was sweet for its day. Too bad Sega stopped supporting it.
Battery died too quickly in them though.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Keane Ng said:

Believe.
Yes Master! Whatever you wish, as long as we recieve the awesomeness that is the Duke!

...I really want one of these. Like, a LOT. But is it worth it...

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
I wonder if the new batch will develop Conk Out & Reboot Syndrome?
That resulted in my bellowing unintelligibly at the screen on many an occasion.