Nintendo Halts Super Smash Bros. Brawl User Uploads

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Nintendo Halts Super Smash Bros. Brawl User Uploads

Nintendo [http://www.nintendo.com] has announced that as of the end of June it will no longer be accepting stage designs and other user-created content for Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl allows players to create their own "stages" and then distribute them to friends or upload them to Nintendo through Smash Bros. Dojo [http://www.nintendo.com/games/wifi] says the service will be coming to a halt at the end of this month.

"As of June 30th, 2009, the current service that accepts user-generated snapshots, stage designs, and replay data will no longer be available," it says. "Please note, however, that we will continue to distribute such data after that date."

Infendo [http://www.infendo.com/smash-bros-brawl/super-smash-bros-brawl-user-generated-content-service-ending/] has reported on speculation that SSBB players were uploading hacked stages that "borked the system" but Nintendo has not offered any explanation for why the service is ending, nor whether or not the "current service" might at some point be replaced with a "new service."

via: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/06/05/smash-bros-data-services-being-switched-off/]

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Wow...I'm not even an SSBB player, but this already seems way too early to do this. Hooray for Nintendo once again not understanding the intarwebs.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
I haven't played Brawl in a while, and never did use Nintendo Wi-Fi connection except for a few lag-plagued matches one day, but "BOOOOOOO! WTF Nintendo!"

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Um... I haven't been able to upload/download stages and replays and the like for months, even though I can have matches over WiFi and stuff.

Weird. Guess my Wii is a prophet.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
Not that I care about that game, but I cannot comprehend why Nintendo is either so stubborn or completely incompetent when it comes to online gaming.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Wait, what the hell? Wasn't making your own stages an important part of Brawl? Didn't the fans want it? Why in the name of the Hypnotoad would they take something like that away?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The_Oracle said:
Wait, what the hell? Wasn't making your own stages an important part of Brawl? Didn't the fans want it? Why in the name of the Hypnotoad would they take something like that away?
Because the kind of players that would have made use of it played for a couple of months then went back to playing Melee.

Also people posting hacked maps might have something to do with it...

Skreeee

Jun 5, 2009
Who's the character under Samus in the picture? I don't own Brawl and don't remember seeing that one during the hype.

Cucumber

Dec 9, 2008
Izzil said:
Who's the character under Samus in the picture? I don't own Brawl and don't remember seeing that one during the hype.
It's a charecter from an assist trophy. Don't know the name of it.

Anyways, I still play brawl regulary. But not online! Online + Nintendo = Fail...
Does me still playing brawl make me a social outcast? *whimper*

Beefcakes

Pants Lord of Vodka
Aug 11, 2008
Izzil said:
Shes an assist trophy, like a pokemon style character that helps you for a while (most the time anyway...) them buggers off
I remember playing Brawl online, it was so laggy I never played or uploaded anything after 2 games online.
No loss for me

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Sad to hear that, I never owned a copy myself but when my friends and I got together and....got....well drunk enough to think of playing it we saw some pretty interesting user level designs.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
Cucumber said:
Izzil said:
It's a charecter from an assist trophy. Don't know the name of it.
It's Saki from Sin & Punishment.

And this news sucks, but it isn't a total loss. IGN still has their Smash Bros. site up if you want to upload stages, and there's more than a few sites where you can upload images.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
This is sad news.

Games are not merely products but also services. We all know that legally the developers and publishers find ways to make it clear that they can stop providing a specific service at any time, but offering something and then taking it away is just an anti-consumer approach.

Though this might not be a total loss of content it definitely is a loss of credibility. Post-launch support needs to be taken seriously by whoever promises it.