Miyamoto, Blizzard, Bethesda Get Guinness Records

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Miyamoto, Blizzard, Bethesda Get Guinness Records

Guinness World Records representatives showed up at last week's E3 conference to hand some of the industry's brightest stars their very own Guinness World Records.

Now, many of these aren't brand-new records - The Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition was published back in February - but there is a certain legitimacy that comes with presenting the honorees with physical awards, and what better opportunity to find them all in once place than E3?

Some of the big winners:

[blockquote]*Shigeru Miyamoto - Best Selling Video Game (Wii Sports, 45.7 million copies sold)

*Xbox Live - Most Popular Online Console Gaming Service (20 million subscribers, or 67% of the install base)

*Blizzard - Most Popular MMORPG (World of Warcraft, 11.6 million active subscribers)

*Blizzard - Most Popular RTS (StarCraft, 9.5 million copies sold)

*Bethesda - Fastest-selling Multi Platform RPG (Fallout 3, 4.7 million copies in its first week on shelves)

*Infinity Ward - Most Played Online Video Game (Call of Duty 4, 15 million minutes played daily)

*Red Octane - Best-selling Rhythm Game Series (Guitar Hero, 25 million copies sold)[/blockquote]

Donkey Kong guru Steve Wiebe was given an honorable mention, despite an unsuccessful attempt to win back his Kong Krown from Billy Mitchell.

(Via StarCraft Wire [http://starcraft.incgamers.com/blog/comments/e3-2009-blizzard-accepts-guinness-world-record-awards/?gr_i_ni])

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Good to see that my favorite Strategy game got due notice. Can't say the list is overly surprising, except maybe Wii Sports. All the others I probably could have guessed, or if I couldn't, at the very least wouldn't have been a gasp over hearing the answers.

The statistics on the other hand... geez, 15 million minutes? A day?

3rd rung

Feb 20, 2009
I guess wii sports makes ense just becuase it comes with the systems so its a garentied thing. But cool thing I saw a video of a guy getting the worlds longest note streak in gutar hero 100% dragonforce song that was cool

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Donkey Kong guru Steve Wiebe was given an honorable mention, despite an unsuccessful attempt to win back his Kong Krown from Billy Mitchell.
Oh yeah, I was wondering how that was going to turn out.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
*Blizzard - Most Popular MMORPG (World of Warcraft, 11.6 million active subscribers)
Okay, now if this surprises anyone, they need a slap to the face with a half-brick in a sock (+5 to anyone that gets that reference). Seriously though, that was an obvious one.

*Infinity Ward - Most Played Online Video Game (Call of Duty 4, 15 million minutes played daily)
I'm guessing this one excluded MMOs, which is fair, in my opinion, but I'm honestly a bit surprised. I wonder how much contention it had from TF2 and CS: S, although that second one probably has died out in popularity by this point.

*Shigeru Miyamoto - Best Selling Video Game (Wii Sports, 45.7 million copies sold)
Now, is this one even fair? I mean, it comes with the Wii, so every single person that bought the Wii got a copy. And a lot of people have bought the Wii. Not that I can complain, technically speaking it probably is the best selling video game, but if you think about it, that's just counting every person that owns a Wii.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Since when is miyamoto allowed to personally reap all the glory for not having an actual record at all? Sims shipped over twice that number.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Asehujiko said:
Since when is miyamoto allowed to personally reap all the glory for not having an actual record at all? Sims shipped over twice that number.
The Sims FRANCHISE has shipped over twice that, including Sims 1, Sims 2, and all the expansions. Not any individual game.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Asehujiko said:
Not The Sims. The Sims family. Which means The Sims and all it's bastard offspring.

Pezzer

Feb 15, 2009
xitel said:
Okay, now if this surprises anyone, they need a slap to the face with a half-brick in a sock (+5 to anyone that gets that reference).
Sourcery by Terry Pratchett?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
xitel said:
I'm guessing this one excluded MMOs, which is fair, in my opinion, but I'm honestly a bit surprised. I wonder how much contention it had from TF2 and CS: S, although that second one probably has died out in popularity by this point.
Actually CS:S is still one of the most played online shooter on the PC.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I didn't know a game that comes with a console counts (wii sports), I will put money down that at least 1 million of those games sold have not been played(wii sports only)

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Not [i[]The Sims[/i]. The Sims family. Which means The Sims and all it's bastard offspring.
Your BB code is weak. How'd you even manage to put a do "[]" anyway?

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
bodyklok said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Not [i[]The Sims[/i]. The Sims family. Which means The Sims and all it's bastard offspring.
Your BB code is weak. How'd you even manage to put a do "[]" anyway?
Because I use [ ] not so I hit [ before ].

MrPop

May 14, 2009
No surprises really. All of them you could have guessed if you were asked by someone. I still like reading it though for confirmation.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Singularly Datarific said:
redmarine said:
Blizzard never fails to disappoint me... Rock on!
Except for the 12 year wait for SC2...
The game will be released late 2009. Been stated by Morisomething who's the CEO of Blizzard Entertainment.

snuffler

Jun 4, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
The Sims FRANCHISE has shipped over twice that, including Sims 1, Sims 2, and all the expansions. Not any individual game.
Tetris? Alexey Pajitnov deserves at least some recognition.