Itagaki Drops Hints, Bashes Rivals, Praises Aerosmith

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Itagaki Drops Hints, Bashes Rivals, Praises Aerosmith

Ex-Team Ninja lead dude Tomonobu Itagaki spared no words for his competition in a recent interview. He did, on the other hand, have kind words for Steven Tyler and Aerosmith.

If Hideo Kojima is the prince of crazy when it comes to big shot Japanese game designers, Tomonobu Itagaki has to be king. Kojima's a master of misdirection, cerebral hijinks and overall weirdness, but Itagaki, well, he just seems to say whatever he thinks and whatever he thinks usually has to do with his games, his competitors' games, sexy women and Steven Tyler.

Those were the subjects he touched upon in a recent interview with 1UP [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?pager.offset=2&cId=3174656]. Asked what he thinks of the newest contender to the stylish action game genre crown, Bayonetta, Itagaki had less than kind words to say about the game's creator, Hideki Kamiya: "If I made a similar game as a game I made in the company I quit, people would say, 'What an idiot, can't he make anything else?' Well, that is more or less the opinion I have for, uh, that Bayo-something game."

That would seem like just some straight up smack talk, but maybe Itagaki is trying to say something here. Maybe. Kamiya, formerly of Capcom (where he made Devil May Cry), did work Clover (where he made Okami), which went kaput and is kinda now back in the form of Platinum Games, which is making Bayonetta. This isn't too far from the story of Itagaki, who left Tecmo and Team Ninja to form a new studio, the aptly named Tokyo VIKINGS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91978-Tomonobu-Itagaki-Returns-With-New-Game-New-Team].

So. If Itagaki is bashing Kamiya for ditching a company and then just making a game that's arguably similar to the ones he made for his old employer, is he saying that whatever he's working on right now is something different than what he's done before? One thing is different about the new Itagaki - he's not as enamored with cartoonishly sexed-up ladies in games as he used to be.

"I have to admit I've gotten tired of that," he said. "A lot of people are making [games with women like that] recently. I'll gladly let them take over for me."

So does that mean his next game won't have girls as impossibly proportioned as those in Dead or Alive? "Don't be stupid," he said when asked this. One thing it definitely won't have, however, is Aerosmith. And for this, Itagaki is sorry.

"I have to apologize to my fans, but since I won't be making Dead or Alive games, I won't be using Aerosmith's music anymore," he said. "I want to send the deepest gratitude to Aerosmith and Steven Tyler. The power I needed to make DOA came from Aerosmith and the movie Armageddon."

Honestly, guys, I couldn't even make this stuff up.

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
I call "Rag Doll" by Aerosmith as a potential influence on the DOA girls...or maybe the physics.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
Itagaki has always talked shit about Devil May Cry games, he just can't handle the fact that his piece of shit games don't come anywhere near to holding a candle to DMC, so he throws out insult like a transparent troll. Bayonetta is basically DMC5 so that would explain why he's angry and scared of it.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Wait, DOA had Aerosmith? I thought it had crappy Japanese pop, not genuinely good music.

And Tokyo VIKINGS sounds like the greatest studio name ever.
This is why he isn't making games with girls in them any more; he's going to put on some armor and raid other studios for the girls he needs, just like real vikings.
SODAssault said:
He's got to be the guy that gets drunk at parties and starts hurling insults at everybody present.
He seems more like the guy who will get drunk at parties, then go and start playing the guitar and singing about everyone there, which will end up being a bunch of insults anyways. I actually knew someone like this, but he didn't carry his guitar around when he was drinking, so I only heard him a few times.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
SODAssault said:
He's got to be the guy that gets drunk at parties and starts hurling insults at everybody present.
Are you suggessting that Itagaki has stints where he`s sober ?, i refuse to beleive such lies

Low Frost

Nov 6, 2008
not a zaar said:
Itagaki has always talked shit about Devil May Cry games, he just can't handle the fact that his piece of shit games don't come anywhere near to holding a candle to DMC, so he throws out insult like a transparent troll. Bayonetta is basically DMC5 so that would explain why he's angry and scared of it.
You go ahead with your opinion.
Itagaki always has great interviews. People need to learn from his example.

PoToGo

Mar 26, 2009
Anyone who can manage to get sexual harassment charges in Japan should probably be snuffed.

I just don't understand why anyone would care about this guy. He's like the drunk cousin that won't keep his mouth shut.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Keane Ng said:
If Hideo Kojima is the prince of crazy when it comes to big shot Japanese game designers, Tomonobu Itagaki has to be king. Kojima's a master of misdirection, cerebral hijinks and overall weirdness, but Itagaki, well, he just seems to say whatever he thinks and whatever he thinks usually has to do with his games, his competitors' games, sexy women and Steven Tyler.
Really, you think hes more crazy than this guy...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90557