Atomic Hasn't Given Up On Fallujah

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Atomic Hasn't Given Up On Fallujah

Atomic Games is still shopping around for a publisher for its controversial Six Days In Fallujah, says company president Peter Tamte.

Atomic dropped the game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90759-Six-Days-in-Fallujah-Triggers-Outrage] a mere three weeks after announcing it existed.

However, at the Triangle Game Conference at the end of April, Atomic president Peter Tamte emphasized his company's commitment [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/tgc_2009/6020-TGC-2009-Peter-Tamte-Keynote] to Fallujah and to the soldiers who had come to them asking the company to tell their story "through the medium that played the deepest role in their lives, videogames."

Atomic still wants to finish the game, Tamte told Newsweek [http://www.newsweek.com/id/200861/page/2], though they needed a publisher to help fund the rest of development - not only to complete the development, but to market and distribute. "We have a lot of people who are interested in the project," he says. "But I'll feel better when we sign something and the checks start coming."

He does admit that Konami and Atomic could have marketed the title more smartly, but that the real hangup for Fallujah's critics is their knee-jerk reaction to the word "game" - a word that Tamte feels doesn't quite do justice to what he and his team are trying to do. "We're trying to do something that hasn't been done before, and naturally people use the points of reference they understand," says Tamte. "It's hard for anyone to envision it until it's actually created."

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/06/09/atomic-still-shopping-around-six-days-in-fallujah/])

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
YES.

Thank god, this looks like a good game. I hope they find a publisher soon.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Good for them, with any luck they'll get it released and it'll turn out to be pretty good.

Cpt_Oblivious said:
I wonder which publisher will have the balls to publish this...
I can't see any US based publisher picking it up, they'd be scared of the backlash. What we need is a major publisher with fairly limited links to the US, that's apparently immune to criticism and above all does things exactly how it wants...

Hello Ubisoft!

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Kinda makes me want to start a publishing company just to release games like this. This is one thing Yahtzee conveniently ignores in his reviews: the lack of game innovation isn't just the fault of "stupid consumers" who are happy with playing Halo 12. Developers are limited by what publishers will pick up on.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Thank goodness they haven't given up yet. Good for them. Maybe Take Two will pick them up. They obviously don't care about controversy.

SigmondK

Jul 17, 2008
SilentHunter7 said:
Thank goodness they haven't given up yet. Good for them. Maybe Take Two will pick them up. They obviously don't care about controversy.
That's actually what I was thinking. I really do hope this game gets made from what I've heard they take this terrible event and do it a good deal of justice. I'm just hoping that hypocrisy at large doesn't kill it. After all if it's done right this could be more along the lines of a documentary game and could do a lot for bringing games out of the lime light as being thought of as toys.

At least that's my opinion on the matter.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Thank Christ for that. Not only was I looking forward to this, if they pull it off, then maybe people will view games as more of a mature area of media, and stop assuming that videogames are the cause of the world's numerous woes.

azadiscool

Dec 10, 2008
That is good to hear. I'm interested to see this when it is finished. This and America's Army 3 look like they will be changing up wartime shooters towards more grittiness and realism.

digitalman

Jun 9, 2009
If if they find a developer to release it, great, but I think it would be a poor move.

I have no doubt they talked to Soldiers about what happened. I don't think they listened to them though. Soldiers just don't regenerate health and bunny-hop into battle firing off headshot after headshot. Yet that's exactly what they portray here.

I have no problems with games like Battlefield and Call of Duty and the like, they're damn great. But that's not real war. Real war is not fun. Real war probably doesn't make for a great game (or it makes for a very different sort of game) But from what I've seen and read, this isn't the historical masterpiece they're making it out to be. If they want to deliver a shooter based in Iraq, go for it. But passing off this arcade style gameplay as the authentic experience of the U.S. Marines does them a disservice.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1110

Dec 14, 2008
digitalman said:
If if they find a developer to release it, great, but I think it would be a poor move.

I have no doubt they talked to Soldiers about what happened. I don't think they listened to them though. Soldiers just don't regenerate health and bunny-hop into battle firing off headshot after headshot. Yet that's exactly what they portray here.

I have no problems with games like Battlefield and Call of Duty and the like, they're damn great. But that's not real war. Real war is not fun. Real war probably doesn't make for a great game (or it makes for a very different sort of game) But from what I've seen and read, this isn't the historical masterpiece they're making it out to be. If they want to deliver a shooter based in Iraq, go for it. But passing off this arcade style gameplay as the authentic experience of the U.S. Marines does them a disservice.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1110
I really don't think they'll go with an arcady approach. It seems the only way to portray war in a video game is horroble frustration or having moments in which a comrade dies, so if they really wanted a life like expeirence they could have it be really difficult (i.e. one shot one kill on you) or having scenes of women and children getting killed and possibly by you. But if you took that approach that would create more questions on the morality and respect of the game.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Good, screw Konami. Let a company who can take a little controversy publish the game.

Not that it even deserves any controversy.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Man I'm glad that they are continuing to make this game, if not because I think it will be good then for the troops who want to make.