ESA Thinks iPhone Games Should Be Rated

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
ESA Thinks iPhone Games Should Be Rated

Michael Gallagher of the Entertainment Software Association thinks that the iPhone's App Store needs to implement some kind of ratings system, though how exactly it would work remains somewhat unclear.

There are literally thousands of applications of applications of the iPhone's App Store. A good number of them are harmless novelties (like the numerous fart apps) whereas some of them might be construed as inappropriate for youngsters (iBeer and its variants would probably raise a few eyebrows of concerned parents). Thus far, Apple hasn't implemented any kind of rating system like the ESRB, but the Entertainment Software Association thinks it needs to happen.

"We've been down this road before, the Entertainment Software industry, we know how this goes and it's wise for (Apple) to make steps in that direction so that this is addressed up front and there is an environment that is hospitable to children and families," ESA CEO Michael Gallagher said. "It would be wise to do that, we would welcome the opportunity to work with them, we are reaching out to encourage that."

So does the ESA propose that Apple have every single app that goes through its pipes put to some sort of rating system? Not exactly. "That doesn't mean that every entrepreneur, every software engine that is able to write code and put up an app on the App Store is going to go through this process, it simply says that if a game is rated it needs to pass through and be filtered appropriately by the controls that are on the iPhone," Gallagher said.

I can see how that would work. Parents would naturally start to gravitate toward the rated games while keeping their distance from unrated fare, which would encourage any app maker who wants to hit a family friendly audience to volunteer their game for rating, even if it's harmless, just to give it the label of something that's been authorized as safe.

Not that kids should even have iPhones or iPod Touches. I mean, really. Back in my day we were happy listening to the radio and playing with LEGOs. You didn't need rating systems for those.

[Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5281765/should-apple-iphone-games-be-rated-esa-says-yes]]

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Funny thing is most LEGOs sets actually did have ratings on them for difficulty and approximate ages of what kids would be able to put them together. :)

Could be a good idea for apple though. Implementation I think would be the hard part of a system like this with how many apps come out every day.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
What a suprise: the head of the ESA wants to make more things have age-restrictive ratings.

I never could have seen that one coming. What a shocker.

And the age-based ratings thing only restricts what games can be made commercially: something that I feels violates the right to free speech.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Ugh. Ratings are already pointless. And now making ratings for an entirely digital store?

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Good thing to.

The rating system is the only thing we gamers have to fend off the rabid game protesters. Iphone apps being released without ratings is something they can use against us.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
scotth266 said:
What a suprise: the head of the ESA wants to make more things have age-restrictive ratings.

I never could have seen that one coming. What a shocker.

And the age-based ratings thing only restricts what games can be made commercially: something that I feels violates the right to free speech.
I think you might be confusing the ESA with the ESRB?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I think you might be confusing the ESA with the ESRB?
Nope, I mean the ESA. It makes sense when you think about it. The head of the Entertainment Software Association would obviously want the stuff that he's supposed to lord over (Entertainment Software from the sound of it :D) appear more family-friendly, right? Well, what better way than to force ratings onto the software, especially Apple's apps, which have attracted a strong stinkeye at times for featuring content that can (and has been) controversial?

One needs only remember the shaken baby app and the marijuana dealer app, and the malestroms that erupted from each of them, to see the reason for his concern.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
midpipps said:
Funny thing is most LEGOs sets actually did have ratings on them for difficulty and approximate ages of what kids would be able to put them together.
Oh damn, you're right. That's hilarious.

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Of COURSE the ESA wants ratings, it's the way they enforce their morals and beliefs on others. It's the entire reason groups like the ESRB and MPAA exist, and the ESA has had it's share of meddling in our lives of late.
How else are parents going to explain the poor supervision of their children when they go on rampages...it was all the i-phone apps fault if only it had been rated.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Seems like this potentially could be used as a way to protect game developers from Apple's arbitrary censorship. If something is rated then Apple doesn't have to block it for being offensive since they have a way to give customers fair warning.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
Khell_Sennet said:
reaper_2k9 said:
Khell_Sennet said:
Of COURSE the ESA wants ratings, it's the way they enforce their morals and beliefs on others. It's the entire reason groups like the ESRB and MPAA exist, and the ESA has had it's share of meddling in our lives of late.
How else are parents going to explain the poor supervision of their children when they go on rampages...it was all the i-phone apps fault if only it had been rated.
Mah boy was playin these iPhone games, and he done off and...
[[font color=white]...[/font]] Knocked some girl up
[[font color=white]...[/font]] Had sex with his teacher
[[font color=white]...[/font]] Stole a car
[[font color=white]...[/font]] Joined a gang
[[font color=white]...[/font]] Shot the sheriff (but not the deputy)
[[font color=white]...[/font]] Killed himself
[sup](Check the one that applies)[/sup]
Shhh.
Don't make it so easy!
If too many people see this, Apple will be sued into the ground!

Lonko

Jun 3, 2009
Not that kids should even have iPhones or iPod Touches. I mean, really. Back in my day we were happy listening to the radio and playing with LEGOs. You didn't need rating systems for those.
Ahh, back when the only signs on a box were "WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD! KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF THREE"

shadowcode

Dec 7, 2007
Damn them!

1. Suggest that iPhone games need rating.
2. Have lobbyists convince politicians and hardware platforms.
3. iPhone Game Developers now need to pay a certification/rating fee to ESA
4. Profit!

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
I hope they'll at least have the decency to filter the ratings system in the countries that don't apply to them. I'm getting tired of ESRB pushing it's ratings on the world market.

I find ratings to be redundant anyway. ^^