Nintendo President Welcomes Rivals to "Motion-Control World"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Nintendo President Welcomes Rivals to "Motion-Control World"

Rather than being ruffled by the technological advances recently revealed by Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo [http://www.nintendo.com] President and CEO Satoru Iwata recently welcomed both companies to the "motion-control world."

After years of dismissing the Times Online [http://www.wii.com].

A big part of his upbeat attitude no doubt stems from the fact that Nintendo has a huge lead over its competitors, neither of which will have their new controllers out before 2010, and a massive user base that already takes motion-sensing controls for granted. "To tell the truth, I expected them to come up with stuff like this last year," he said. "So in my mind they're later than expected."

"We are happy that it is now becoming an industry standard," he continued. "However, we still have no idea about when their products will be available, or how much they will cost, or what sort of software they will be used with. So I am not in a position to judge whether they are a threat or not."

And while the technology on display at the Sony and Microsoft E3 press conferences easily outstripped that of the Wii Remote, Iwata warned that Nintendo is very capable of coming up with a few innovations of its own. "They should bear in mind that over the next year Nintendo will not be standing still. We're always at work on something new," he said. "I am actually looking forward to engaging in that sort of competition, because it gives our whole industry the chance to expand the gaming population."

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Well, atleast the new Microsoft and Sony motion peripherals will actually do something this time. Unlike that Wii motion plus bull crap.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
They should bear in mind that over the next year Nintendo will not be standing still.
Really? Because everytime I've looked at my Wii lately, my first thought has been "Snore!"

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
I bet Nintendo are secretly thinking "Get your own game play ideas, honestly!"
I'd rather say they are thinking "God damn it, God damn it, now not only they have better games and less shovelware, now they stole one of the few reasons people have to buy our console!!".

Yeah.

Ventuquies

May 7, 2009
Go Nintendo Go!
I really hope all cool guys thinking Nintendo is just not "Hardcore" enough for them will get hardcore facts about Nintendo's greatness also with the next gen of consoles!
!!KICK THEIR BUTTS MARIO!!

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
bue519 said:
Well, atleast the new Microsoft and Sony motion peripherals will actually do something this time. Unlike that Wii motion plus bull crap.
There, fixed. See, Natal looks good. Sony have a wand. A freaking wand, for God's sake. You wave it around, how is that any better than the Wiimote?

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Let me out! LET ME OUT!

But yeah, the Wiimote has two things it can do well:
Pointing. I'll admit very strong FPS potential there.
Very basic motion control, and by that I mean shaking and nothing more. And even that takes some effort to pull off on the developers part.
Other than that I just want a controller, or better yet since I'm a PC gamer, keyboard and mouse.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Trivun said:
bue519 said:
There, fixed. See, Natal looks good. Sony have a wand. A freaking wand, for God's sake. You wave it around, how is that any better than the Wiimote?
I wasn't talking shit about the Wii mote itself. Just he motion plus control, which I don't feel add anything to the mote that wasn't already there before. Yeah and sony must be stupid for including an actual controller for there games. Natal just looks like a random peripheral and gimmicky as hell. I mean how can you use Natal for the games that 360 owners play the most, shooters. I've tried hands free stuff like this and all it ends up doing is being inaccurate as hell and even harder to control. So good luck actually playing anything on Natal that requires precisions movements. Plus who doesn't want to get up and run around after a 10 hr work day. Its not like I just want to relax and play a few rounds of my favorite shooters online.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Malygris said:
"To tell the truth, I expected them to come up with stuff like this last year," he said. "So in my mind they're later than expected."
Oh, snap! They just got burned!

Seriously, Iwata is taking this in stride. I share his opinion that it's too early to really say much about how this new tech will affect the industry.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Isn't the rival to the "motion controlled world"... erm... well, regular controllers? Wasn't the whole point of making the Wiimote to create a new "rival" way of playing games?

Maybe I'm just crazy...

Deathsong17

Feb 4, 2009
Well considering that Sony invented the Eyetoy, Nintendo are basically welcomeing Sony to the world they created. Strange.

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
What you could logically imply from Iwata's willingness to come out and talk about this is fairly simple - Nintendo is fine with competition in the motion control market but will continue to lead the effort forward.

This is arguably true, but I am hopeful that the insertion of competition in this market will force Nintendo to respond with better use of their motion control for core gamers. While Microsoft seemed to try to take a slice out of the Nintendo casual player pie, Sony's presentation focused in on application towards core gamers.

Either way, Nintendo will have to respond with more than just the "Vitality sensor", because their Motion Plus, while soon to come out, was upstaged by Natal and Sony's project.

Shy_Guy

Apr 13, 2009
bue519 said:
Natal just looks like a random peripheral and gimmicky as hell. I mean how can you use Natal for the games that 360 owners play the most, shooters. I've tried hands free stuff like this and all it ends up doing is being inaccurate as hell and even harder to control. So good luck actually playing anything on Natal that requires precisions movements. Plus who doesn't want to get up and run around after a 10 hr work day. Its not like I just want to relax and play a few rounds of my favorite shooters online.
Wow. People don't listen and are so narrow minded. Natal can be used in conjunction with the 360 controller.

Tenmar said:
Natal could be considered Microsoft's eye toy in it's most basic form. A camera that lets the user be the controller. Sony has done that.
In a sense, yes. However, the Eye Toy is not nearly as advanced as Natal claims to be. Besides, as I said before, Natal can be used with the controller, removing any need for a "wand".

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Shy_Guy said:
bue519 said:
Natal just looks like a random peripheral and gimmicky as hell. I mean how can you use Natal for the games that 360 owners play the most, shooters. I've tried hands free stuff like this and all it ends up doing is being inaccurate as hell and even harder to control. So good luck actually playing anything on Natal that requires precisions movements. Plus who doesn't want to get up and run around after a 10 hr work day. Its not like I just want to relax and play a few rounds of my favorite shooters online.
Wow. People don't listen and are so narrow minded. Natal can be used in conjunction with the 360 controller.

Tenmar said:
Natal could be considered Microsoft's eye toy in it's most basic form. A camera that lets the user be the controller. Sony has done that.
In a sense, yes. However, the Eye Toy is not nearly as advanced as Natal claims to be. Besides, as I said before, Natal can be used with the controller, removing any need for a "wand".
Well, if you can use it with a control then whats the point of Natal at all? Cause it seems from the commercials that their advertising it to be a controller free method of playing games. Besides why are you crying about what Sony is using, who cares if its a wand? I mean for god sakes the Wii mote is a wand and its the best selling console of this generation.