Sims 3 Best-Selling EA PC Launch Ever

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sims 3 Best-Selling EA PC Launch Ever

The Sims 3 has sold 1.4 million copies in its first week on shelves, making it the biggest PC launch in EA's history.

In case you didn't know, The Sims is a pretty big franchise. In fact, one might even call it the biggest franchise - a quick trip over to Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_sims] tells us that The Sims, The Sims 2, and their assorted expansion packs have sold a combined 100 million units worldwide, making it the most successful videogame franchise of all time.

Time to add another million to the list: Despite selling 2.8 million in one day [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92022-Sims-3-Pirated-180-000-Times], it's still a damn respectable launch. In fact, it's the biggest launch for a PC game that publisher EA has ever had.

The scope goes beyond simple retail numbers - the company has reported that there have already been over seven million downloads of user-created content like houses and Sims to populate your neighborhoods with.

Of course, this leads to an interesting question - would there be so much player-created content already if the game hadn't been available for several weeks before its launch? One can only wonder.

"With more than a dozen press awards, strong reviewer scores and positive feedback from The Sims community, we are thrilled with the success of The Sims 3 launch and the early sales indicate that we have another hit on our hands," said Rod Humble, the head honcho at EA Play.

Yeah, Rod. I mean, no one could have ever predicted that The Sims 3 would have been a hit. Totally out of left field, that one. You guys must be channeling freakin' Nostradamus over there.

(Via Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/sims_3_sells_1_4_million_in_first_week.html])

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
The scope goes beyond simple retail numbers - the company has reported that there have already been over seven million downloads of user-created content like houses and Sims to populate your neighborhoods with.

Of course, this leads to an interesting question - would there be so much player-created content already if the game hadn't been available for several weeks before its launch? One can only wonder.
Game requires atleast 3 patches at launch, accounting for 60% of those downloads at least.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Yah, not surprised either. That's why I didn't think it was such a big freaking deal that it was leaked before launch. The beauty of The Sims is that it's so marketable, mainly because it's just playing house (complete with dress-up dolls!), that even people who can't pronounce the word "torrent" want to play it. Oh, and then they sell you all the content you ought to have piece by piece for the next four years.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Wow, that's great! Considering that it was leaked, well, fair play to them!

I bought a copy too. Limited Edition baby! :D

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Yeah, Rod. I mean, no one could have ever predicted that The Sims 3 would have been a hit. Totally out of left field, that one. You guys must be channeling freakin' Nostradamus over there.
Why does everyone use Nostradamus these days when they need to stick in a line about prophets? Why not use someone like the Oracle of Delphi, mix it up a bit? Nostradamus is a bit mainstream :D

But yeah, it's not like we didn't see this one coming. Epic suprise there...

Klydefrog

Apr 1, 2009
Khell_Sennet said:
Meh. I'm holding out for a Super Double-Dong Triple Deluxe edition, as they always release.
when you say Double-Dong... is that a subtle reference to Drawn Together? If so you are awesome.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Even with the huge piracy rate it sold well, knew it!
Ditto [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.113919.2071073].