UFC 2009 "Disconnect Cheat" Patch on the Way

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
UFC 2009 "Disconnect Cheat" Patch on the Way

UFC Undisputed 2009 [http://www.thq.com] is in the works and will be out as soon as possible.

UFC 2009 Undisputed has been surprisingly well received, with reviewers praising its visuals and in-depth gameplay as an outstanding videogame translation of real-life Octagon combat. But the game has been plagued with a low-tech cheat that's driven many players to apoplexy: Any less-than-honorable combatant who's about to lose an online match can simply disconnect, nullifying the results of the fight.

But not for much longer. "There is a patch in development / testing to address the issue of online cheating via disconnecting from multiplayer matches, as well as other fixes," THQ said on the UFC Undisputed blog [http://community.ufcundisputed.com/blog-post/patch-works]. "We can't announce an exact date for the patch yet, but we're working to get it out as soon as possible."

I'm not a huge fan of fighting games but I still see this as very good news. Being caught short by a cheater can be an incredibly frustrating experience and it's unfair to players and game companies alike when an otherwise well-regarded game is brought low by people who would rather be jerks than admit they lost at a game.

via: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/06/11/ufc-disconnect-cheat-patch-in-the-works-thq-confirms/]

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
It's good to see them address this now, than a year from now when they realize that nobody's playing online because of this.

This really should be one of the most basic things to put into any multiplayer experience.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
Flap Jack452 said:
Kane and Lycnh needed this type of patch... badly.
???????? Why i don`t remember that game being notable for the quitters i remember it for the huge amount og backstabing bastards that played the game

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
timmytom1 said:
Flap Jack452 said:
Kane and Lycnh needed this type of patch... badly.
???????? Why i don`t remember that game being notable for the quitters i remember it for the huge amount og backstabing bastards that played the game
If you play against someone a higher rank than you, and you are about to win, 9 times out of 10 the higher ranked guy will quit out so he doesn't lose his fancy character model.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Begs the question, why not make a premature disconnect an auto-win for the remaining player.

QQ-ers preserve their precious rank and proper players rapidly advance, everybody wins.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Why can't developers get it through their heads that all fighting games have this problem - at least UFC will have a fix.

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
Wait, so what happens if you actually get disconnected? Do you then get a loss on your record?