Videogame Helps Kids Fight Cancer

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Videogame Helps Kids Fight Cancer

Virtual Heroes and HopeLab are collaborating on the next version of Re-Mission - a game designed to help children suffering from cancer on their treatment and recovery.

Games can do a lot of things, in case you haven't heard. They reportedly make kids violent. No, wait, they help with hand-eye coordination. No, they just make you sleepy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92318-Study-Says-Gamers-Get-Less-Sleep-Than-Others].

Apparently, they also help you fight cancer.

I'll admit, when I read the press release that announced Virtual Heroes - a Research Triangle, NC-based company that specializes in serious games (no, not grim, gritty games like Gears of War or Metal Gear Solid, but games actually designed to help teach or instruct) - had teamed up with HopeLab, the developers of a game called Re-Mission... I was skeptical. After all, despite what the website [http://re-mission.net/] said about ensuring biological accuracy, the game still has you playing as a sexy nanobot making her way through a human body to blast monstrous cancer cells with lasers. How was that in any way teaching a child suffering from cancer what was going on and how their treatment would help them?

Then I read a bit more, and I think I get it now. Rather than just teaching kids exactly what is going on inside their body, Re-Mission aims to make them feel like they have power over their disease - to quote the site, "A video game designed especially for kids with cancer might give them a feeling of power over their disease as they blast away at the cancer cells." Makes sense, doesn't it?

More importantly, though, the game is designed to make the kids feel like their treatment is working - and gives them a reason to adhere to it. And thus far, it looks like it's... actually effective:

[blockquote]Results showed that a specially designed video game can have positive impact on health behaviors in young people with chronic illness. Specifically, playing Re-Mission improved treatment adherence and produced increases in self-efficacy, and cancer-related knowledge for adolescents and young adults with cancer.[/blockquote]

Huh. I was skeptical, but the more I read, the more I think that sexy nanobots blasting cancer monsters ... isn't as off-the-target as I had first assumed. So there you go.

The next iteration of Re-Mission will be part of a collaboration between HopeLab and Virtual Heroes [http://www.virtualheroes.com/]. Presumably, like the current version, it will be distributed free of charge to young cancer patients.

Who said videogames never do anything good for kids?

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
For once, a report not trying to blame cancer on video games.

Mwhhaahaha, take that NHS!

Panzer_God

Welcome to the League of Piccolo
Apr 29, 2009
Sounds cool, the cynic in me doubts it will help but even if it's only a placebo affect then this game will deserve my worship.

Lima

Jun 18, 2007
This is great I'm anxious to see the stats further down the road!

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
Best part is, this can't go wrong because I doubt there are loaded shotguns left around hospitals!

Well that's great for the little kids, it's always nice to give them some hope and all.

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
I can only say one thing about this!
YES! :D
Now if only I can fight AIDS in a game...hmm....

zeratul123

May 25, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:
It's nice to know games help people as well as destroy my brain.
hahaha lol at that

good to know that about videogames now i have something to say when they say videogames are bad

SprodeMaster

Apr 21, 2009
That Rocket will help finally rid me of my Kidney Stones! Now I'm gonna go laser away all the bad memories of Uncle Ted at Christmas!YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Sarcasm aside, this is a brilliant case of mind over matter and I'm all for it!

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Panzer_God said:
Sounds cool, the cynic in me doubts it will help but even if it's only a placebo affect then this game will deserve my worship.
Pretty much this, although I remain convinced of the mind's ability to regulate the body - people die a lot quicker if they've given up hope, and can pull through if they believe they can. If this helps just one kid keep up the courage to keep on with his chemo and stay positive in a situation I can't even begin to imagine, then it's a success.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Panzer_God said:
Chipperz said:
Pretty much this, although I remain convinced of the mind's ability to regulate the body - people die a lot quicker if they've given up hope, and can pull through if they believe they can. If this helps just one kid keep up the courage to keep on with his chemo and stay positive in a situation I can't even begin to imagine, then it's a success.
This is pretty much it, as it's been shown that people who remain positive about their situation actually respond much better to treatment than people constantly worried that they will die tomorrow, so a videogame that makes children feel better about their situation is probably one of the best things to include in a treatment plan.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Huh.

I'm still convinced that one of these days, someone is going to point out that wireless Xbox 360 controllers cause cancer.