Atlus Launches Neo Steam: The Shattered Continent

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Atlus Launches Neo Steam: The Shattered Continent

Atlus Online, the online gaming community/portal from Shin Megami Tensei developers Atlus, is now officially in the MMOG business with the launch of Neo Steam, a free-to-play steampunk MMOG.

You got your Jack Frost in my free-to-play Korean MMOG! Neo Steam: The Shattered Continent [https://secure.atlusonline.com/home.aspx], the first MMOG on the community/gaming portal from the house of Shin Megami Tensei. Atlus are only publishing the game, which was originally developed in Korea by JoyImpact, but to commemorate the game's launch they're filling it with a few Atlus-tastic treats.

First off Atlus is hosting a handful of contests. You can submit "funniest" or "most epic" screenshots to compete for t-shirts and posters, or pen a national anthem for the game for a shirt, a poster and some in-game items.

Speaking of in-game items, Neo Steam being a free-to-play MMOG, naturally it uses your regular ol' microtransactions model. The Premium Item Shop, previously closed in the game's now-ended open beta, is now open for business, and features a backpack [http://atlusonline.com/images/jackpack.png] featuring company mascot Jack Frost. That thing will run you 10,000 Atlus Crowns, which in turn will run you, uh, at least $14. Who ever said glamour, especially virtual fanboy glamour, was cheap?

If you're in the mood for a free-to-play MMOG that'll likely be full of fellow Atlus fanboys and fangirls, sign up for Atlus Online over here [https://secure.atlusonline.com/home.aspx], and get to wasting that real virtual money.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Damn. Steampunk MMO? Free? I'm sorely tempted.

But I fear I would be swimming in a sea of fans that I just don't understand. (I know next to nothing about Atlus.)

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
Might as well check it out, who needs sun anyway.
Something to enjoy before Star Wars comes out.

Edit: Nevermind... Europe is not allowed to play >_>
can't remember filling in my country...

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
The Shade said:

But I fear I would be swimming in a sea of fans that I just don't understand. (I know next to nothing about Atlus.)
I feel your pain, because I really wanna play this, but with all the fans...

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
Only 3 GB? I might give it a shot. I only know three Atlus series' not even including Shin Megami Tensei, so the fans may be a bit...alien from my point of view.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
hopeneverdies said:
The Shade said:

I feel your pain, because I really wanna play this, but with all the fans...
Oh I doubt that'll really deter your enjoyment of the game. There's sure to be plenty (or at least some) non-Atlus fans there, and anyway, you probably have more in common with Atlus kids than you think, if you're willing to give a Korean MMO a shot.

Eneljie

Jun 10, 2009
you do realize that Shin megami Tensei IMAGINE has been out for months don't you? it isn't the first SMT mmorpg. other than that though, it looks pretty awesome! you can find IMAGINE here btw:
http://megaten.aeriagames.com/

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The Shade said:

You don't have to. The game is very cute and fun, if a bit rough around the edges. Definitely worth checking out.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The Shade said:
Susan Arendt said:
The game is very cute.
Er...cute?

For something that claims to be Steampunk, that's not much of a sales pitch.

o_0
It's both. Not all of the characters are cute, of course, but the little Poms very much are. So are some of the creatures in the world, like the Terrawhale. The steampunk flavor comes in with the weapons and the mounts.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
It's both. Not all of the characters are cute, of course, but the little Poms very much are. So are some of the creatures in the world, like the Terrawhale. The steampunk flavor comes in with the weapons and the mounts.
I guess I was hoping for more of a "Morlock - Eloi" vibe. But, then, that's just me livin' in the past again.

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
WOW. You have to have a premium account to UPGRADE SKILLS?

The graphics are terrible, even maxed out (and I ALWAYS play my games on low settings, so that says a lot), the tutorial, summed up, is "Here's hotkeys you can use, go kill 10 monsters and come back" x5, and then I find out that you have to have a premium account to upgrade skills. Not to mention, the punks spamming the message box with what appears to be global chat speak a language that isn't English. No thanks.

Valiard

Feb 26, 2009
i was in the open beta and it was pretty nice? and what do you mean premium can upgrade skills?
THATS NOT KOSHER....

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Say Anything said:
WOW. You have to have a premium account to UPGRADE SKILLS?

The graphics are terrible, even maxed out (and I ALWAYS play my games on low settings, so that says a lot), the tutorial, summed up, is "Here's hotkeys you can use, go kill 10 monsters and come back" x5, and then I find out that you have to have a premium account to upgrade skills. Not to mention, the punks spamming the message box with what appears to be global chat speak a language that isn't English. No thanks.
I agree, this game is abysmal even by free kolean MMO standards. If you gotta play a Freemium game, play Perfect World or Mabinogi- the graphics are better and the systems are SOMEWHAT more enjoyable. This is just aweful cut and past MMO Dreck, it's hard to navigate, hard to find quest givers, there's like 3 appearances for every race and half of them are gender locked (only female elves in chainmail bikini's for example). This isn't steampunk, it's anime anthrophomorphic ass with some steampunk elements that have only ONE tiny effect on gameplay (you need the titular Neo Steam resource to fire ranged weapons).

Aweful. Aweful. Aweful. Avoid this, send hatemail. Aweful.

And I played Perfect World to level 25, man. But this is just..blarghghb...