Rumor: Natal is Actually Next Xbox

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: Natal is Actually Next Xbox

If Microsoft is treating the launch of Project Natal like the launch of a new console, that's because it actually is the launch of a new console - at least, that's what some speculative rumors are saying.

Ah, yes. It wouldn't be a new technology reveal without the requisite flood of rumors surrounding said new technology. In this case, we're getting a report via 1UP [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174762] about Microsoft's new, much-hyped Project Natal.

Last week, Microsoft strategist Shane Kim said that the software giant was treating the release of Natal like the release of the Xbox 360 itself [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92359-Natal-Launch-Will-be-Like-the-Launch-of-Xbox-360]. Now, some are speculating that Natal will be a new console - the next iteration of the Xbox.

Keep in mind that these are rumors; incredibly unsubstantiated rumors, no less. Take everything here with a big heaping helping of salt.

The new system - which will carry a new name (Xbox Natal?) - will hit next fall, according to 1UP, with a likely unveiling at next year's Game Developers' Conference. Alongside the Natal camera and software, it will also feature some slightly upgraded hardware that will allow it to support more graphically intensive games. While there's absolutely no word on what these rumored upgrades would be, the obvious thing that comes to mind is the potential support of a true HD storage media to compete with Sony's Blu-Ray, the major advantage that the PS3 has over its Microsoft rival.

The rumored leap would by no means signal the start of a new console generation. In other words, it would be less Xbox -> Xbox 360, and more along DS -> DSi, or PSP -> PSP Go.

I have to admit, it's hard to see this rumor as having legs to it, especially the part about genuinely upgraded hardware. Shelling out $100-some-odd for a new handheld is one thing. Slapping down $400 for a new console is another thing entirely, and this would seem to go against Microsoft's wish to have Natal compatible with all current 360s right out of the gate.

What I can see happening is something along the lines of Sony's slim PS1 and PS2: Essentially the same hardware, only repackaged and perhaps retooled a bit to the point where there's essentially no difference other than the size it takes up in your living room (and maybe they'd fix that pesky RRoD while they're at it).

So yeah. I'm going to go ahead and say that I'm unconvinced about this rumor's validity, but hey. I could always be wrong. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=217495])

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
If it was a new console they are hardly going to just lie about it,
I still think its just a really cool new addition to the Xbox.
Now I am suddenly driven to go outside and buy mirrors edge.

Be right back.

Mar 17, 2009
Jesus I hope not, not every game is well suited to this kinda stuff.

Oh, and the paedos are gonna have a field day once that Milo thing ships.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
Wow, a bit slow to pick up on old news now are we?
No worky over weekendy. Kind of a slap for the 360 owners isn't it... How longs that been out? I mean it just feels the PS2 was the headliner for a lot longer then the 360...

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
So (if this is true) they are going to stick on an unnecessary attachment (HD DVD) that most of the people in the world don't give a damn about, and as a result jack up the price of it like Sony did with the PS3.

Why can't they make these damn things optional so those of us who just want to play a frigging game aren't fishing out an extra £100 for an add-on we don't even want.

Although it will no longer affect me because I sincerely doubt I will buy another console once I'm done with my 360's Live subscription.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
This rumor is just a response to some peoples' disappointment that the Natal launch implies no new Xbox system until 2015.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
The infamous SCAMola said:
Jesus I hope not, not every game is well suited to this kinda stuff.

Oh, and the paedos are gonna have a field day once that Milo thing ships.
seconded also who ever hears these rumors is retarded since said natal will work with very 360 out there.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I would laugh so hard if this were true. The console fanboy argument of "You have to buy a new Pc every few years! (not true) would be countered by, "you had to buy a new console to deect motion! my Pc has outlasted the lifespan of the 360 with no hardware changes!"
Unlikely but i would wet myself

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Natal does look cool but half the games on xbox wont work for it. Can you really see yourself using natal to play gears of war?

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
So Microsoft are going to make their current install base completely obsolete in order to better compete with Sony's current install base, which is already catching up with Microsoft? Sounds like a bad idea to me. Good thing it's only a rumor.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
They will probably start packaging 360s with Natal, maybe even release a new version of the console (like the Elite) but I think it will also be sold separately. If you have to buy a whole new console then I think not many people are going to be buying it. Also, Natal is stupid and will be cool for about 5 minutes then you will wonder why you ever wanted it. Sounds familiar somehow.