Anime Review: Welcome to the N.H.K., Part 1

Norman Rafferty

Mar 18, 2009
Anime Review: Welcome to the N.H.K., Part 1

Who knew that dropout shut-in otaku could be so entertaining?

Read Full Article

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I've been meaning to watch Welcome to the N.H.K. for a while now, as I've heard very good things about it. this pretty much solidifies that, nice review.

Though, I hear the manga actually has a very depressing ending compared to the anime.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
This is a bad week for me to be on the escapist now I have at least 2 series to pick up for my collection. This one sounds really good. I Love anime like this with some actual real world grounding.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
It's always sounded like a good series. Even more encouraging to me is that it doesn't seem to rely on overbearing abstract visualisations to convey character's emotions. I'll see it eventually, but I'm not to keen on watching my crap .avi fansubs. Pretty good review, although it seems a bit too willing to divulge what could be important plot points in the anime. Given anime's general love of big revelations,I would be surprised if Hitomori's depression was immediately obvious, or Kaoru's girlfriend's revelation. However, it'd probably be near impossible to refer to 13 episodes of plot and character development through generalisations. I'll find out when I get round to reviewing an anime series myself.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
We watched the first episode of this anime at our uni's anime society, and though it didn't get voted to continue throughout the term, I always meant to go back and watch it. Then I forgot the name, and didn't get a chance to ask anyone at the society. Thanks for reminding me about it :)

P.S. Woo, first post here.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Another stellar review. I'm glad that you guys are reviewing anime that would go most likely go unnoticed by me at least. I really want to check out this series now.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Minor Spoilers, ones so minor they don't deserve a spoiler box. In the Light Novel (it's original Form), the characters (not all of therm), also have drug problems, leading to the darker elements and ending. The Manga downplays it, and the anime lacks the drugs altogether.

Anyway, good series to review, and itself an excellent review, touching upon what makes N.H.K. great.

KingKamor

Jul 8, 2008
I've been meaning to take a look at this, and I think that I will now.

I usually enjoy anime and manga that ties in with true real-life troubles and life situations, such as the realistic portrayal of an anime/manga/video game club in Genshiken. Thanks for the review.

olicon

May 8, 2008
If you haven't, definitely watch it through--to the end.

The middle part can be painfully embarrassing, but that's only because the characters are so true. I was very impressed with how immersed I was, and how the characters never once acted...well..out of character.

And stick around for the final episodes, even if you have to force yourself a bit. You WILL love it. It's the most satisfying and deep ending (in all levels of meaning) I have seen in any anime.

ghostndshell

Jun 18, 2009
this is a brilliant anime very entertaining and well written !
but aint this anime like three years old! and your just reviewing it now?... very strange!! :p

RedPanda

May 28, 2009
...So deep, I am surprised someone had the will to develop an anime that's simular to daily life and also to have alot of flaws of the person is brilliant, I didn't think ppl would go far to give characters such things, I congrat them for being honest of our world.

And I do believe we ALL feel like outcasts, well made

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
I began watching it, and it is a very good, very well-made series, though it was a bit embarrasing to have my dad walk in on the lolita parts of the show...

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
And one of my favorite anime gets a review that does it justice. A great review for a great series. It's definitely worth a watch.

Raptoricus

Jan 13, 2009
Haha! I've just finished watching this a few weeks ago, it's absolutely brilliant! Made me think a lot about how some of my life has gone as well.

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
Both the manga and the anime are brilliant... but I prefer the manga... It's much darker and twisted. Plus, the characters are a lot more vicious toward one another...

If they were sodas, the anime would be Diet Sprite...

The manga would be black tar heroin.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Ligisttomten said:
It's a great anime, highly recommended. You won't be disappointed.
how many episodes are there? Cause I'm not fond of anime shows that do a great job rising you to a climax. Then slamming you into the resolution and they do that all in 14 episodes! But I could careless in a way.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Nicely written, Norman. I'd given the series a pass because I was already reading the manga, but I may just give it a shot now.