Team Fortress 2 Map Source Files Now Available

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Team Fortress 2 Map Source Files Now Available

Got a problem with how Valve designed 2Fort in Team Fortress 2? Now you can alter the map yourself using the source files for TF2 maps recently released on the Source SDK.

"This map sucks." You've said it. I've said it. That one annoying guy on your team says it every time he gets killed, and then still says it once the map rotates to something else.

Few of us are willing to take the time to try to make maps suck less, however. Those with the dedication, interest or just straight up gumption, however, can take a look at the recently released .vmf source files for TF2 maps on the Source software development kit. The maps featured include Lumberyard, Ravine, Badlands, Dustbowl, Granary, Gravelpit, 2Fort, Badwater, Goldrush, and Hydro.

Valve says the release of the source files are meant to serve a double purpose by making it easier for novice map makers to get into the practice since they won't have to start from scratch, while providing some valuable lessons for more experienced designers, who can see in detail how Valve built these levels.

It is a bit intimidating for newcomers, so here's are a few starting ideas courtesy of Valve themselves: "For example, you could start by fine-tuning cover in Goldrush, alter the layout of Granary, or tweak the amount of health and ammo in Gravelpit. Or maybe you just have a ton of ideas on how you think you could improve Hydro or 2Fort."

More "maps and model sources" are due for release in the SDK in the future, Valve says. "We'd love to see what you come up with," they said.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
AWESOME, I've just started messing around with SDK and this is just what I want.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
Nice, I guess... Maybe someone could make a super mega 2fort! More ways to escape, more opportunities for trap setting. I am curious to see how this ends up :D

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
NoMoreSanity said:
Keane Ng said:
Lumberyard, Ravine, Badlands, Dustbowl, Granary, Gravelpit, 2Fort, Badwater, Goldrush, and Hydro.
Dammit, I don't even know half those maps because Valve has not released free updates for 360 yet.
You could have done what I did, when you'd have got a decent price, trade in the 360 version on TOB, and buy it on PC and launch Directx 8.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
Keane Ng said:
Lumberyard, Ravine, Badlands, Dustbowl, Granary, Gravelpit, 2Fort, Badwater, Goldrush, and Hydro.
Dammit, I don't even know half those maps because Valve has not released free updates for 360 yet.
Hahahahaha!!! In you face 360 user!

*insert here why PC is awesome and consoles suck!*

Do you hate me now?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
oliveira8 said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Keane Ng said:

Do you hate me now?
Nope. You're still adorawmable.
You removing my will to live!

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
oliveira8 said:
NoMoreSanity said:
oliveira8 said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Keane Ng said:

Do you hate me now?
Oh, sorry.
I hate you so much...I'm going to put dead kittens in your mail box.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
oliveira8 said:
NoMoreSanity said:
oliveira8 said:
NoMoreSanity said:
oliveira8 said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Keane Ng said:

Do you hate me now?
Oh, sorry.
I hate you so much...I'm going to put dead kittens in your mail box.
Aww, thanks!
And I'm going to put a Camel on your toilet too! So BEWARE!!

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
*interupts the sanity/olivera qutation chain with random comment*

haha I love the image there. good times. And 2fort does suck, at least in most servers.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
first pointless point of order: 64 player hydro with all sections unlocked at once and all points cappable

second point of order: 4-fort

third pointless point of order: double-helix-fort
8)