The Once And Future King ... Of Ratings

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
The Once And Future King ... Of Ratings

The familiar BBFC ratings are to be dropped from UK games, in favor of the Eurocentric PEGI system.

For the last few years, many games in the UK have carried two different ratings, one from the BBFC, and the other a PEGI rating. In all that time, it's been the BBFC rating that has been legally enforceable and the PEGI rating has been purely for information purposes. But all that is about to change as the BBFC ratings are to be dropped in favor of the PEGI ratings.

Creative Industries Minister Siôn Simon said of the change, "The UK already has a robust system of classification for films and DVDs run by the BBFC. The new system of games classification will match those high standards as this important market continues to evolve."

In a statement to the House of Commons, the lower house of the UK Parliament, Lord Carter, Minister for Communications, Technology and Broadcasting said that the PEGI rating system would be a base and that UK specific legislation would we implemented along side it.

"We will implement a new, more robust system of content classification for the videogames industry, building on PEGI system with a strong UK-based statutory layer of regulation, ensuring the protection of children now, and in the future," Lord Carter said in his introductory statement.

With the PEGI system now legally enforceable, very little has changed on paper, but as a UK gamer, I question the wisdom of dumping a well-recognized rating system for its lesser-known cousin. If consumers couldn't figure out what was appropriate for their children when games carried the same rating symbols used on movies and DVDs, I'm not quite sure what a new rating system is really going to achieve.

Of course, I'm 28, so it doesn't really affect me either way.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/pegi-becomes-uk-standard-for-game-ratings_5]

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
God damn it! I literally just posted a thread about this.

I don't think there'll be a difference anyway, considering the BBFC already had the power to ban games, and hardly any were banned under their regime anyway.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
bodyklok said:
So whats the real difference between 'PEGI' and 'BBFC'?
You know, I don't know... I think they are pretty much the same...
Well in that case I don't really care that much, this may represent a change in the way Britain regulates it's video games... But if it still regulates them in pretty much the same way then I'm not worried.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
PEGI...isnt that the one that uses bizarre doodles instead of simple numbers & words to illustrate what age bracket the game is for & what it contains that warrents that rating?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
bodyklok said:
Mechanically, very little. The key difference is that the BBFC is UK only, while PEGI applies across Europe.

From the consumers point of view though, the BBFC symbols were familiar and unambiguous, while PEGI was relegated to the back of the box with the system requirements. I think this is going to be confusing for quite some time.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Brilliant, just bloody brilliant.

Now swarms of mums are going to be coming at till staff armed with 18 games that 'aren't' 18 games because the red 18 logo isn't there anymore. Plus hundreds of staff getting in the shit because no-one's told them that the PEGI rating is suddenly legally binding...

...oh dear.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Brilliant, just bloody brilliant.

Now swarms of mums are going to be coming at till staff armed with 18 games that 'aren't' 18 games because the red 18 logo isn't there anymore. Plus hundreds of staff getting in the shit because no-one's told them that the PEGI rating is suddenly legally binding...

...oh dear.
Firstly, most stores enforce PEGI rating anyway, so there shouldn't be too much trouble. Secondly, the stores will likely be notified of the change in the law and post notices for staff members. Beyond that, it would be the employee's fault if they got in trouble over it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
scnj said:
Firstly, most stores enforce PEGI rating anyway, so there shouldn't be too much trouble. Secondly, the stores will likely be notified of the change in the law and post notices for staff members. Beyond that, it would be the employee's fault if they got in trouble over it.
I've worked in a store where the manager didn't give a crap before. If it wasn't legally binding he didn't care and even if it was he only just took notice.

As long as the managers pass on the information they're sent then yeah, it should be fine. But I can see a few cases off staff getting screwed over with this.

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
Cousin_IT said:
PEGI...isnt that the one that uses bizarre doodles instead of simple numbers & words to illustrate what age bracket the game is for & what it contains that warrents that rating?
I don't think they are all that confusing, but I have grown up to these symbols:
http://assets.vg247.com/uploads/2009/01/pegi1b.jpg
If you want, I could explain what the images mean... ;)

But yeah, on topic: I don't think it'll do much difference, it'll just make game ratings a wee bit more international.
Well, at least in Europe...

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
Does that mean we lose the cool red cricle with 18 in it? It always ade me feel more of a man i bought stuf with the little red circle on it ;-; Well that sucks.
other than that, it wont be any diferent

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
nilcypher said:
bodyklok said:
Mechanically, very little. The key difference is that the BBFC is UK only, while PEGI applies across Europe.

From the consumers point of view though, the BBFC symbols were familiar and unambiguous, while PEGI was relegated to the back of the box with the system requirements. I think this is going to be confusing for quite some time.
i can see why they moved to the PEGI system as it's accepted across Europe and is more uniform than the BBFC one. also i think that being industry regulated is a bit better than government as with government you can get bias depending on who is in power, ie giving violent games a lower rating compared to ones with hints of sexual innuendo

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
GoldenRaz said:
Cousin_IT said:
I don't think they are all that confusing, but I have grown up to these symbols:

But yeah, on topic: I don't think it'll do much difference, it'll just make game ratings a wee bit more international.
I know what they mean :) But the point is if u dont know what they mean (eg. the average parent) then seeing a spider & a clenched fist is hardly gonna instantly make you think "ooo this film is scary & has violet motifs in it." Its needlessly obtuse imo

Tehpengwan

May 6, 2009
Honestly, I don't see how this will confuse most people. The symbols for PEGI clearly state the required age in big bold letters. Of course, that's only if Wikipedia is telling the truth.

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
Cousin_IT said:
GoldenRaz said:
Cousin_IT said:

I know what they mean :) But the point is if u dont know what they mean (eg. the average parent) then seeing a spider & a clenched fist is hardly gonna instantly make you think "ooo this film is scary & has violet motifs in it." Its needlessly obtuse imo
I see your point, words are easier to decipher than pictures, but if you go to PEGI's website then the first thing that you'll see are those symbols along with explanations. And then there's also explanations in most, if not all, game manuals. All my games for the PS3 (most rated 18+ due to violence) had all the symbols along with explanations on the first page in the manuals.
So maybe ten minutes tops of studying the symbols and their meaning shouldn't be that hard, even for the "average parent".