Xbox, Ghosts, Europe And You

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Xbox, Ghosts, Europe And You

Xbox 360 owners in the PAL territories were dealt a nasty blow recently, as it was announced that the new Ghostbusters game would be a PS3 exclusive, but it turns out that they might get to play it after all.

It was a very last-minute affair, the multi-platform release of Ghostbusters stopped being multi-platform [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91603] a mere month before release, much to the disappointment of many gamers, myself included.

The game still came out on other platforms in the USA however, and this fact provides a glimmer of hope for European and Australian gamers. Apparently, the Xbox 360 version of the game isn't region locked, so all you would need to do is head online and import a copy.

Please let me point out though, that the Escapist has not tested this, being based almost exclusively in North America and therefore not having any problem whatsoever, so if it doesn't work, it's not our fault.

Of course, if it does work, someone let me know, ok?

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/16/xbox-360-ghostbusters-not-region-locked-europe-doesnt-need-to/]

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
nilcypher said:
Of course, if it does work, someone let me know, ok?
It does don't worry about that.

Edit - Sites like [URL="http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-00-3-xbox360_compatibility_guide-49-en-84-i.html#list" (title,target)]This[/URL] are a god send.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Although, from early reviews I wouldn't get too many hopes up. I've been hearing it's a forgettable game.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
If I cared enough to buy it in the first place, let alone import it and play it, then you'd be the first to know (except for me). I personally hate Ghostbusters and cannot bare the films let alone a movie tie in that no matter what is going to feel like Luigi's Mansion. That game however, was Ok, mostly for its lack of Bill Murray.

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
Ordered mine, should arrive by Friday...when it was originally meant to come out. I'm not waiting around for another 4 1/2 months to play a game I can get now, for cheaper, from the US, legally...

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Meh. Seems like a forgettable game. Let's hope the 360's aren't region locked so our EU pals can test it out.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Volucer said:
Ordered mine, should arrive by Friday...when it was originally meant to come out. I'm not waiting around for another 4 1/2 months to play a game I can get now, for cheaper, from the US, legally...
i did the same in reverse for the new dexter book, ordered it from the uk cause it's not out till september here

the only issue i see is a PAL/NTSC conflict coming up

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Meh. Seems like a forgettable game. Let's hope the 360's aren't region locked so our EU pals can test it out.
There's actually nothing that requires companies to region lock their games on the 360 but for some reason the companies end up choosing to do so anyway.

Anyhow, as far as being region free goes... yes, Ghostbusters on the 360 is region free.

Onmi said:
Uh no, it wasn't exclusive in europe it was a timed exclusive in europe. god damn making a mountain out of a mole hill
At the moment it might as well be exclusive since no one really knows when it's going to be released and the whole Atari/Namco/Sony release rights business will probably take a while. Better just get it elsewhere.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
I think this is only a timed exclusive, as Play.com list the Wii release as near the end of this year (not sure about 360 release), so you 360 owners may get it at some point without having to import it.

Vide0Gam3r

Mar 22, 2009
I'd like to point out to Megacherv that the version for PS2 and Wii (Maybe another console, like PSP) is a completely different game than it is on PS3, 360, and PC. Wii/PS2 version is cel-shaded and more focused on co-op gameplay, so there's quite a few differences.

Senial

Sep 18, 2008
I doubt I would be able to play this game without the getting the song stuck in my head and slowly driving me insane....