New PEGI Symbols Revealed

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New PEGI Symbols Revealed

Following on from the announcement that PEGI would be handling all videogame ratings in the UK, the new ratings symbols have been revealed to the public.

PEGI apparently doesn't mess about, almost immediately after their 'victory' over the BBFC became relatively public knowledge [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92450-The-Once-And-Future-King-Of-Ratings], they've wasted no time in showing off the new symbols that will grace the front of UK games.

The key difference from the old PEGI symbols? They've been colored in. The 3+ and 7+ ratings have a green background, the 12+ and 16+ have a yellow/amber background and the 18+ rating has a red background.

Along with the new symbols, PEGI will continue to detail exactly why a game has been given a particular rating with eight content descriptors giving consumers all the information they could need on the despicable acts depicted within.

Source: EDGE [http://www.edge-online.com/news/pegi-unveils-new-ratings-symbols]

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
nilcypher said:
giving consumers all the information they could need on the despicable acts depicted within.
Brilliant.

When did this happen? It's the first I'd heard of it. Then again, it doesn't affect me... yet.

bioVOLTAGE

Dec 28, 2008
Wow, it looks alot like the ESRB stuff. Only five ages? Will eight content descriptors be enough?

aperpheldy

Mar 21, 2009
It's about time. I here so many parents say "don;t play games near my child" and now i can hold up the box and say HA it has a 7 rating.

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
Hardly needed IMO, but good for those who are unfamiliar to PEGI's symbols. Seeing as how they also seem to add words to their pictures (the clenced fist picture now has the word "violence" along the bottom) then there shouldn't be any confusion.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
...What was wrong with the old system? EVERYONE knows the film classification symbols we used before...

Also, are Brits going to have their own classification board, or are we forced to accept the American ratings? You know, from people who think we're so stupid we need a colour chart...

Serious_Stalin

Aug 11, 2008
I'm pretty sure PEGI ratings aren't enforced, basically meaning if I sold a kid an 18 PEGI rating and a parent complained there could be no fine.. So I can sell them to anyone?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Serious_Stalin said:
I'm pretty sure PEGI ratings aren't enforced, basically meaning if I sold a kid an 18 PEGI rating and a parent complained there could be no fine.. So I can sell them to anyone?
They weren't, but they are now going to be

Feb 13, 2008
O.K....I can see problems.

First, no "E"?
Second, what makes something a 7 but not a 3?
Thirdly, 16/18? Not a great deal of difference there.
Fourthly, given this won't apply to things like books, how do you translate between the two media.
Fifthly, ...oh I can't be bothered, it's a dumbass idea.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So the 15 rating is gone now?
Seems a bit petty to raise the age because your system doesn't include a 15 symbol, not like it's hard to design, just press that button to the left of number 6.

I love how 'for simplicity' the age old established 12/15/18 rating that everyone knew is being replaced with a 3/7/12/16/18 that not only adds two ages and changes one but makes them all legally enforceable. That's a very european union approach to simplicity.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Eh, either way, I am 16 and don't have any ID... No ID at all... Buying games that are 15 is hard enough...

Player 2

Feb 20, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:

First, no "E"?
We never had an E here, 3 was always the lowest. I guess they assumed that 2 year olds couldn't play video games (sort of like the warnings on board games that say "only suitable for persons over the age of 3 years").

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
Go UK gov! Replace a legally enforceable recognised accepted system with a system with no legal position that parents won't recognise, and kids can convince their parents that that big red 18 is just a guide to difficulty.

Fucking idiots, the BBFC have been doing this sort of thing for nearly 100 years! They have a little experience in the field of censorship and classification.

Feb 13, 2008
jedstopher said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:

First, no "E"?
We never had an E here, 3 was always the lowest. I guess they assumed that 2 year olds couldn't play video games (sort of like the warnings on board games that say "only suitable for persons over the age of 3 years").
Uhm...the UK has had an E for over 30 years.
The "3" rating on board games etc. is due to children under 36 months have a habit of chewing/swallowing any damn thing they can get their hands on (So it usually refers to loose parts).

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
... DAMNIT!

From the looks of things, there is no 15. That means I am going to have to wait another year before I can buy my own Games. (Turning 15 in september)

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Serious_Stalin said:
Well where I work we have to ask ID of anyone asking to buy anything with an 18 certificate (film or game). And apparently agencies send in children or young people to ensure we're doing it.

Barky13

Apr 7, 2009
Damn. The BBFC ratings worked so thick parents could tell if the game is suitable or not. What exactly is the point in having two rating systems anyway? We all know at least some people are going to be confused. Plus the fact that the BBFC were actually fair with their ratings. If PEGI had rated Mass Effect it would probably be an 18.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Chipperz said:
...What was wrong with the old system? EVERYONE knows the film classification symbols we used before...

Also, are Brits going to have their own classification board, or are we forced to accept the American ratings? You know, from people who think we're so stupid we need a colour chart...
We already had the PEGI system, it just had no legal backing as far as I'm aware. It used to be on the back of the box, whereas the BBFC ones were on the front.
So now, instead of having two systems working in tandem, we only have the better of the two.

Good riddance I say! The BBFC never adapted all that well to rating games as well as films, let them concentrate on what they're good at.