LucasArts Not Planning Monkey Island 2 Remake

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
LucasArts Not Planning Monkey Island 2 Remake

LucasArts is bringing back the Monkey Island franchise in style with a remake of the original and a new episodic series, but it's not quite ready to commit to reviving every Monkey Island game.

Monkey Island fans and newcomers should just be happy that LucasArts has decided to bring back as much Monkey Island as they are. Not only are we getting a remake of the first Monkey Island with modern graphics and full voice-over, but Telltale's also making a new episodic series that's starting next month. But no, I'm sure there are some of you out there who want more. Well, you're not getting Monkey Island 2: Special Edition. Yet.

"I think LeChuck's Revenge would be awesome to revisit, but at this time we have no plans for future updates," LucasArts producer Craig Derrick told Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/lucasarts-not-planning-to-update-more-monkey-island-games-136552.phtml]. "It all comes down to whether people like what we've done with the Special Edition and see the potential for future projects. Sales are definitely an important measurement of this, but so is fan and critical reaction to the game."

Derrick wants the Monkey Island revival to not only bring back old fans but get new people interested in the series and point-and-click adventure games as well. If things work out this way, he'll see about doing more. "If both parties show up, enjoy the game and want to see more then I think we'll be on the right path to not only do more updates, but all new adventures," he said.

New adventures will start on July 7 when Telltale's Tales of Monkey Island series begins. The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition is coming out on Xbox Live Arcade and PCs later this summer.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
O i think they'll change their minds when sales go through the rough for the remake and series. Loads of people are gunna want this.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I agree with the above sentiment that as sales for the original's remake rise Lucasarts will give the go ahead on the remake of LeChuck's Revenge. I had forgotten that they original was going to be released on XLBA though for which I am very excited.
By the way Keane, I fucking love your new avatar. That cat bus has caused me tears of happiness in the past.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
They're a bunch of meanies...
Either remake the entire series, or leave an old classic be! Otherwise, you get all these grumbling people new to the series complaining about how they hate the old versions 'cause it lacks shiny graphics.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
MI2 was my favourite, and I'd love to see a remake... especially if they redo the first one well.

I really hope they change their minds.

Also, let Mr. Gilbert make his MI3! I want to know what the "real" continuation of the series would have been.

[edit]
Erana said:
They're a bunch of meanies...
Either remake the entire series, or leave an old classic be! Otherwise, you get all these grumbling people new to the series complaining about how they hate the old versions 'cause it lacks shiny graphics.
Sierra did this a few times, remaking the first in each Quest series, and then never following it up with the rest. Thankfully there are some fan-made remakes about, most notably for King's Quest.

Reg0

Dead Eye
Jun 15, 2009
I personally think it would be awesome to replay these games, such nostalgia ^^

Computer-Noob

Mar 21, 2009
The time is upon us. Lucas Arts has milked the Star Wars cow until its teets fell off, and now they're going to do it with the one series they didnt mess up on.

Well, shit.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Yea, bringing back a franchise from the days when lucasarts was able to produce original and clever content would be too hard when they can just make the star wars cashcow's teets bleed.

They'd only ruin it anyway since video game developers lost the ability to produce dialogue or writing that isn't sarcastic, disconnected poopie. Even the new sam and max games lack the hilarious writing of the original.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Nurb said:
Yea, bringing back a franchise from the days when lucasarts was able to produce original and clever content would be too hard when they can just make the star wars cashcow's teets bleed.

They'd only ruin it anyway since video game developers lost the ability to produce dialogue or writing that isn't sarcastic, disconnected poopie. Even the new sam and max games lack the hilarious writing of the original.

Jesus Christ someone actually made this into a gif?

I bet the game will suck. 3D graphics worked with Sam and Max, but I doubt they will with Monkey Island...

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I don't like the look of the new Guybrush so much but, that said, Telltale knows their stuff and should be able to deliver a good product.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
It sounds like they are not going to remake the sequel because people were rude about their new graphics on the internet. They also don't want to play with us any more and are taking their ball home with them.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
They will change their mind once they realize this: before almost only Star Wars games they made interesting stuff that people haven't forgotten over the last 20 years.

*sigh* I would kill for a Loom remake

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I bet the game will suck. 3D graphics worked with Sam and Max, but I doubt they will with Monkey Island...
It didn't... *cough* *Escape from...* *cough*

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Ranooth said:
O i think they'll change their minds when sales go through the rough for the remake and series. Loads of people are gunna want this.
You say that, but remember, this is Milk Starwa- I mean, LucasArts. They're lead by idiots who think Starwars will last forever.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
I think they took a step backwards in going 3D with this series (weird I know). i enjoyed Escape From Monkey Island, but It looked like ass compared to Curse of Monkey Island. Bill Tiller created the best look for the Monkey Island series and I wish they had stuck with that or improved upon it in a 2D environment.

However, I'll still play the new one because I really enjoyed what Telltale did with the Sam and Max series and it looks quite entertaining.. And the remake looks nice and I'm looking forward to playing it, but what the hell is up with Guybrush's haircut?

-Jon Etheridge
-Creator of Apocalypse Lane