No Mecha-Hitler in Wolfenstein

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
No Mecha-Hitler in Wolfenstein

An id Software representative has confirmed that the upcoming Wolfenstein will not feature mecha-Hitler as an end boss, a move that has been described as "totally lame" by at least one Escapist staff writer.

There are fewer villains more immediately iconic than good ol' Adolf Hitler. Not only was the dude a total megalomaniac and completely evil, but he has the dubious advantage of, y'know, actually being real. Many old-school gamers have fond memories of opening that final door in Wolfenstein 3D and coming face-to-face with not just Hitler ... but Hitler in a mecha combat suit with chaingun hands.

That's some serious final boss material right there. I guess Return to Castle Wolfenstein had a pretty cool end boss too, what with him being a giant immortal German berserker knight, but ... he's no mecha-Hitler. Sadly, id Software confirmed that the robo-Fuhrer would not be making a return appearance in Raven Software's upcoming Wolfenstein, for a very good reason: B.J. Blazkowicz already killed him dead.

"No," id community manager Peter Sokal told Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/id-software-hitler-won-t-be-in-raven-software-s-wolfenstein-136759.phtml], "in this game there will be no Hitler. We love 'Mecha Hitler.' Obviously, he's one of the classic bad guys in videogames. It's so famous in Wolf 3D when you finally killed him off, but this time around - like I said - it takes place after the events of Return to Castle Wolfenstein."

"So, we wanted to expand on that story, make it a lot deeper story arc this time around. For the story we were trying to tell this time, it just didn't really fit to have Hitler and Mecha Hitler in the game."

Okay, you know what? I can buy that. It's totally lame, but I can buy that.

Notice that he didn't say anything about mecha-Goebbels, though. We can still hope.

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/06/19/id-no-hitler-in-wolfenstein/])

snuffler

Jun 4, 2008
Man I remember playing Wolfenstein when I was a kid. That seems so long ago now and I'll play the new one regardless of Mecha-Hitler inclusion or not simply for nostalgic purposes.

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
NO! Mecha Hitler! What ever did you do to deserve such harsg punishment? Oh...right. That.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Special credit must also be given for the complex progression in weaponry that each boss in Wolfenstein 3-D utilized. The first boss had a ton of health and used a mini-gun. The second boss had a ton of health and used TWO mini-guns. But the third? Mecha-Hitler? FOUR mini-guns. And a ton of health.

Good times.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
they say its coz he's already dead. But I suspect its because the new Wolfenstein is serious business & mecha cyborg nazis dont fit the mould for grim & gritty

Mother Yeti

May 31, 2008
The real question here is "Why do we need another Wolfenstein?" Stop preying on gamer nostalgia and give us something original.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
No Robot Hitler?
Where's my save robot hitler protest sign?

And no ps3 right? Seems to be the theme of the day.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
It is indeed totally lame. It's not Wolfenstein without mecha-Hitler.