Apple Rejects Commodore 64 Emulator

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Apple Rejects Commodore 64 Emulator

An officially licensed C64 emulator for the iPhone has been rejected by Apple.

The iPhone app store is proving to be something of a mixed blessing for Apple, as it seems that every few weeks the company finds itself splashed all over the internet having approved some questionable application [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91174], or rejected an application for a nonsensical reason [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91422]. This time it's the turn of the official Commodore 64 iPhone emulator.

If you weren't aware, the C64 was a pretty big deal in the 80's and gamers of a certain age have fond memories of loading games from tapes. The emulator, developed by Manomio in concert with Danish developer Kiloo Aps, would have allowed users to load ROMs and relive their childhood while on the move. Sadly, it doesn't look like it's going to happen, certainly not for the immediate future anyway, due to a clause in the iPhone SDK terms & conditions that states "an Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any means."

While it's got to be annoying to have something that you've worked on for a year rejected, it's not really Apple's fault that Manomio and Kiloo Aps didn't read the terms & conditions properly. On the other hand, some commenters have pointed out there are already applications available for the iPhone that can execute code, just like an emulator.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/20/commodore64-iphone-app-finished-denied-by-apple/]

The Political Gamer

Oct 12, 2008
Its games within a game. Apple wants to make money off every game not give people an unlimited pass to a large amount of games that they can't really screen for problems. They don't want this app over taking all the others because of that.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
What! They DARE reject the C64!?! DOWN WITH THE UNBELIEVERS! Also:

The Political Gamer said:
Its games within a game.
This is probably the real issue. They want to sell people each and every title instead of giving them a pass at all the C64 content out there.

It seems a bit bogus that they have also approved apps that clearly violate the rule this one has, unless you consider the above.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Dear Apple,

fix your policy, either follow it one way all of the time or there's no point in having one.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
The Political Gamer said:
Its games within a game. Apple wants to make money off every game not give people an unlimited pass to a large amount of games that they can't really screen for problems. They don't want this app over taking all the others because of that.
Yup, this is the real reason they didn't approve this app, they want to sell every individual ROM instead of giving people the ability to load their own.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
nilcypher said:
it's not really Apple's fault
I'm not sure how anyone can claim, by any means of reason, that any of Apple's app inconsistencies and stupidities are not Apple's fault. We're talking about a company that locks everything and keeps a strict leash around all their platforms.

It still surprises me that so many people are willing to invest in products that lock up their products and allow very little wiggle room.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
It's probably just as well. If GameTap's C64 forey was of any indication, any decent C64 games aren't up for emulating, perhaps because of the difficulty of converting all those fastload routines.

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
They also don't want people jailbreaking the iPhones that Apple is so gracious as to lease to them. Hope that works for out for them.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
It's Apple, just like any company, they want to make as much money as they can.

But I've seen many apps that do what they were rejected for...so damn it Apple, make up your mind already.

dirk45

Mar 20, 2009
I think a C64 emulator would have been a reason for me to choose the iPhone over other phones. While the reasons may be within their guidelines I don't think that they make friends with these decisions.

spinner89

Jan 14, 2009
dirk45 said:
I think a C64 emulator would have been a reason for me to choose the iPhone over other phones. While the reasons may be within their guidelines I don't think that they make friends with these decisions.
+1 that and put in a decent camera