An Exhaustive Etymology of Videogame Names

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
An Exhaustive Etymology of Videogame Names

What's in a videogame name? Apparently a hell of a lot, if this extensively detailed guide [http://kidicarus222.blogspot.com/2009/06/its-secret-to-everybody.html] to the names of some of gaming's most iconic characters - from Mario and Link to Ryu and Ken - is any indication.

Most gamers have probably heard the age-old story about how staff at Nintendo of America thought that their mustachioed Donkey Kong hero bore more a resemblance to the Italian landlord of their office building, a portly fellow named Mario. The rest is history.

But did you also know that Mario and Luigi could have come from marui and ruiji - Japanese for "round" and "similar," respectively - or that erstwhile imitator Wario shares a similar twist in warui, or "evil"? What about Princess Zelda's relationship to the Greek delta and consequently, the series' famous Triforce emblem?

Ken Masters may well owe his surname to Barbie's male companion. Sega's use of Dr. Robotnik can be traced back to a desire to avoid legal trouble from the estate of John Lennon. Samus Aran's masculine-sounding name is actually the feminine version of the Celtic Séamus. Hell, the famous "Error" in Zelda II could be a mistranslation of a more swashbuckling name [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Errol_Flynn].

Be warned: This exhaustive study is long. I mean, really long. It covers characters from all the Nintendo franchises to Final Fantasy and Castlevania and more. So only click if you've got quite some time to kill.

It really is amazing just how much gets lost in translation.

(Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5297348/a-not-so-brief-history-of-video-game-names])

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
I scrolled through the games I've never played and therefore don't allot much time to.
That saved me a good 10 minutes.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
After reading that for nearly a half hour, I was still nowhere near done, and I have a terrible headache. But at least now I know that Biggs and Wedge are from Star Wars. Yay?

Drunken Cutman

Jun 18, 2009
I've always thought a history of video games would be quite an interesting thing to read. Hope I'm right!

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Thats huuuge!

I got to pacman and then read all of his pacman things. (I have a pacman tattoo, should probally know about pacman.)

I think this is going to be up in my browser for the rest of the night whilst im doing nothing and skimming through. :)

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Holy balls. I struggled through the parts which contained video games I like. Some seem incredibly obvious but the 4 demons of Final Fantasy IV being references to Inferno was a pretty intense theory. Some of it seems a little bullshitty but mostly its pretty cool. I just wish the guy hadn't continually references previous posts and just explained himself on certain parts such as his section on Magus of Chrono Trigger.
Yay, it featured Chrono Cross!