Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars Coming to PSP

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars Coming to PSP

The once DS-exclusive Grand Theft Auto game is making its way to Sony's handheld this autumn with new missions and upgraded graphics.

Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars won over the hearts of critics [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5893-Review-Grand-Theft-Auto-Chinatown-Wars] when it launched earlier this year, but never became quite the sales phenomenon its publisher and some of us thought it would be. Why that happened is up to debate, but Chinatown Wars will be getting a second life of sorts when it arrives on the PSP this fall.

How exactly Rockstar is going to attempt the extremely touch-screen-oriented gameplay to the PSP is still up in the air, but this new version of Chinatown Wars will be sporting some unique features of its own. The graphics will be upscaled for the PSP's widescreen capabilities, and feature "enhanced lighting and animation." Gameplay-wise, Chinatown Wars PSP is getting a set of brand-new story missions.

"Rockstar's work with the GTA series has been an enormous part of the success of PlayStation platform," Sony's Jack Tretton said. "We're excited to welcome the critically acclaimed Chinatown Wars to the outstanding line-up of great games headed to the PSP platform this fall."

Chinatown Wars PSP will be available in retail stores as well as downloadable over PlayStation Network.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Makes perfect sense, the game didn't do well on the DS so they'll try the other handheld.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
For whatever reason, I am laughing my ass off, in my head at least.

GTA: Chinatown Wars was good fun, though after you completed all of the story missions there didn't seem to be any real reason to continue playing, at least for me. I had already bought most of the houses early on and ammased hundereds of drugs and sold them for considerable profit. All of the extras that you get from completing side missions (like 100% save rate in ambulances give you infinite sprint) are kind of useless since you have no real need for them after finishing the game.

Overall though, it was a fun game. When I pick up a PSP Go (I'm most likely leaning towards buying a Go instead of a 3000) I will definately look into this.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Seeing as the Stories games were on DS this isn't much of a surprise.
No they weren't, they were ported to PS2 but never went to the DS or anywhere else.

Jumplion said:
GTA: Chinatown Wars was good fun, though after you completed all of the story missions there didn't seem to be any real reason to continue playing, at least for me. I had already bought most of the houses early on and ammased hundereds of drugs and sold them for considerable profit. All of the extras that you get from completing side missions (like 100% save rate in ambulances give you infinite sprint) are kind of useless since you have no real need for them after finishing the game.

Overall though, it was a fun game.
This is kinda how I felt as well. It was fun but there just wasn't enough to it which was a real shame.

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
A lot of reviewers complained about mixed feelings with the touch screen sections of the game. Like complains about how you have to throw grenades etc. Depending on how they approach the version for the PSP it could equalize those arguments and the games real content may show through for better or worse.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Izerous said:
A lot of reviewers complained about mixed feelings with the touch screen sections of the game. Like complains about how you have to throw grenades etc. Depending on how they approach the version for the PSP it could equalize those arguments and the games real content may show through for better or worse.
Ugh, being a lefty, I hated how you had to throw projectiles. Since there wasn't a switch over option (as far as I know), I had to continually stop moving just so I could throw a damn grade in a general direction but either A)miss completely off the mark B)Not throw the grenade at all or C)Press something else and bring up the stats menu or something.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Jumplion said:
Izerous said:
Ugh, being a lefty, I hated how you had to throw projectiles. Since there wasn't a switch over option (as far as I know), I had to continually stop moving just so I could throw a damn grade in a general direction but either A)miss completely off the mark B)Not throw the grenade at all or C)Press something else and bring up the stats menu or something.
Grenades were iffy even without being one of those sinister weirdos (NOTE: I am joking, I'm cross-dominiant and writing right-handed happens to be one of the few righthand things i do), they seemed to have odd behaviors regarding whether they'd bounce or not, and the throwing method I do agree was something they should've done without the aid of the touchscreen as nice of an idea it may have seemed on paper. Course I guess the alternative is a worms-style power gauge but that'd be fine.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Well, whoever thinks Chinatown wars was a good game and has a PSP will certainly get a kick out of this. I still will keep saving my money.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Well..good for GTA fans I guess, although I shall look past this one. Too many better games coming out that are more worth my money.