Microsoft CEO Apologizes For Misleading "New Xbox" Remarks

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Microsoft CEO Apologizes For Misleading "New Xbox" Remarks

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has said sorry for misleading gamers last week with unclear remarks about a "new Xbox" that turned out to be nothing more than the already-announced Natal.

Steve Ballmer should know better than to be careless with his word choice these days. You'd think that he would know that on the internet, anything you say can be construed as confirmation of anything. But Ballmer didn't just say something vague that people spun into something more - he reportedly announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92521-Microsoft-CEO-Confirms-New-Xbox-360-Next-Year] that there would be a new Xbox next year, when what he really meant by "new Xbox" was probably Project Natal.

"We're not going to be launching a new console any time soon," Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg said after the reports surfaced. "I really believe he was speaking about Project Natal."

For misleading all of us, Steve Ballmer is sorry. "I confused the issue with my poorly chosen words," he told IGN [http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/996/996584p1.html]. "There is no news in my comments. Things are as reported after E3. Sorry."

This is kind of rare occasion, not just because a Microsoft figurehead is directly apologizing to us, but because he is actually declaring something he said not newsworthy. I thought the point was to get us to care about what you say, Microsoft.

In any case, Ballmer's remarks weren't totally useless. They seem to confirm that Natal is coming next year, though I think most had already assumed that. And things still aren't entirely clear about what he was talking about. Obviously, yes, he was talking about Natal, but could he have been referring to a new SKU on some level? Greenberg did, after all, confirm that Microsoft has "looked" at that possibility.

In any case, apology accepted.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
We all make mistakes, as long as he admits he made a mistake then he is ok in my book.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
It was Ballmer anyway. I don't think anyone expected it to be true. He is funny though.

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
I thought he meant that they'd be making a new xbox that had natal built in.

Riding on Thermals

Aug 28, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
A better apology would be to fix everyones re-broken 360s for free again.
I got mine at launch and, predictability, it went to hell. Microsoft replaced it for free.

Then that one died. Microsoft replaced it for free.

The one I have now hasn't so much as overheated. I had two defective boxes that were replaced for free within 2 weeks of my sending it in. I don't know why this is such a big deal. So I've missed about a months worth of potential gaming in 4 years, big deal. I was never charged for their mistake, so why does everyone think this is such a deal breaker? This is what warranties are for.

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
Thats the internet for ye'
sturryz said:
We all make mistakes, as long as he admits he made a mistake then he is ok in my book.
Yeah! He's ok in all our books! Right? Right? Except maybe a few....

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
How is Natal a "new Xbox"? Sounds to me like a useless gimmick in the making. Even if it turns out to be good, to call it a new Xbox is thinking pretty highly of it.