Garou: Mark of the Wolves Hits XBLA Wednesday

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Garou: Mark of the Wolves Hits XBLA Wednesday

'Tis a good week for fans of classic two-dimensional fighting games as SNK Playmore is scheduled to launch Garou: Mark of the Wolves on the Xbox Live Arcade this Wednesday.

Despite its lycanthrophilic title, Garou: Mark of the Wolves actually "marks" the last sequel in SNK's long-running Fatal Fury series.

As Garou isn't exactly a Fatal Fury seqel -- the only returning Fatal Fury character is Terry Bogard -- (nor a sequel to the Real Bout: Fatal Fury [http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/fatalfury/fatalfury6.htm] side stories) SNK had to craft a quality game if Garou were to have any hope of succeeding in the flailing arcade landscape of 1999.

Luckily for gamers, the resulting title rivals Street Fighter III for aesthetic appeal, and is widely regarded as one of the finest fighting games to ever come from SNK.

Less luckily however, was the game's relative obscurity. A decade ago, both the arcades and the 2-D fighting genre were falling apart, and as a result many people simply missed this classic fighter altogether.

Come Wednesday hopefully that can be amended, as purchasing Garou: Mark of the Wolves [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/g/garoumofwxbla/] from the Xbox Live Arcade will only set you back $10.

If $10 seems like a lot for a decade-old fighter, keep in mind that SNK Playmore have also cobbled together a handful of additions for this latest iteration including 720p high-definition graphics, online multiplayer gameplay and support for real-time audio chat.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Should I use that $10 to buy this, or the discounted Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix? Oh wait, neither, I'll be smart and buy Point Lookout for Fallout 3.
Im going to agree with this. Besides i have never heard of this game.
Garou is easily the best Fatal Fury, and pretty much best SNK game ever made. If you like fighting games, you probably wouldn't go wrong with this.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Wow! Great news, I was just about to import the PS2 version from Japan...

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
xmetatr0nx said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Should I use that $10 to buy this, or the discounted Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix? Oh wait, neither, I'll be smart and buy Point Lookout for Fallout 3.
Garou is easily the best Fatal Fury, and pretty much best SNK game ever made. If you like fighting games, you probably wouldn't go wrong with this.
Better than King of Fighters?
Hmmm, that's debateable. I think it beats most of them, but not 99-2003. It's more fluid than those games I'd say, I love KOF (nearly as much as SF) but some of them can feel a bit stiff when it comes to certain moves.

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
xmetatr0nx said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Yep. Oh and did I mention that Point Lookout looks fuckin' sweet?
Fallout 3 DLC hasn't exactly been the smartest buy over the past year.

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
Considering I'd have to buy DLC to raise the level cap and fix the ending, I'm not terribly enthused. But I'd be a little more excited over them had I not heard that all of the DLC would come packaged in the Game of the Year edition that's coming up soon.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Hmmm, that's debateable. I think it beats most of them, but not 99-2003. It's more fluid than those games I'd say, I love KOF (nearly as much as SF) but some of them can feel a bit stiff when it comes to certain moves.
I don't like KOF (or Fatal Fury) that much myself but I still think Garou is one of the best fighters ever made, right up there with Third Strike... if not better. Sure, you only have 14 characters but none of them is godlike and they all have drastically different styles.

So yes, it's SNK's best fighting game by a pretty huge margin.

The thing that does worry me a bit is the netcode. It probably won't be nearly as nice and smooth as the stuff we saw in HDR, though I certainly hope I'm proven wrong there.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I was dissapointed to open this thread and find that this game has nothing to do with Werewolf: The Apocalypse :(

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Hmmm. So many 2D fighters, so little money. What do I choose...

Well, I might give this a shot. Maybe. I'd want to play the previous titles first.