Richard Garriot Marries Couple in Zero-Gravity

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Richard Garriot Marries Couple in Zero-Gravity

Notoriously eccentric game designer Richard Garriot was chosen as the official to preside over the first ever Zero-G wedding.

We're going to play a little game here for a second: Pretend you're a nerd (I know, I know, you're here on The Escapist, it's a bit of a stretch - just humor me and try). As a total sci-fi geek, you and your significant other to whom you are engaged - also a sci-fi geek - decide that the best way to share your mutual sci-fi geekery would be to get married while weightless. Since buying a trip into space is for crazy celebrities like that one dude from 'N Sync (and he didn't get to go anyway,) you decide to do the next best thing and book a flight on one of those crazy Zero-G simulator planes for your wedding party.

Oh, and since you're really a sci-fi geek, you decide to have the weightless wedding (the first ever of its kind) officiated by none other than Lord British himself: Ultima and Tabula Rasa Lead Game Nutcase, Richard Garriot. Well, that is in fact what New York-based couple Erin Finnegan and Noah Fulmor did, as they tied the knot miles above the Gulf of Mexico last Saturday.

Let's consider this for a moment. This is a couple getting married in simulated weightlessness in a ceremony officiated by Richard Garriot. I'm fairly certain that I could never have imagined I would ever find myself writing that sentence, but there it is.

I didn't even know Richard Garriot was licensed to marry people. That's kind of mind-blowing in and of itself.

(Kotaku [http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Couple-married-zero-gravity/ss/events/lf/062109zerogravity/im:/090621/ids_photos_ts/r1343223455.jpg/#photoViewer=/090621/ids_photos_ts/r1343223455.jpg])

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Stop giving him attention for what he did years ago and failed more than others to do again recently.

Theissen

Jan 8, 2008
Psychosocial said:
Out of all of the people they could've tried getting, why Richard Garriot?
Especially considering he has already been to space. Why does he need an inferior version of that?

This wedding also reached the news here in Denmark. They even brought an interview with Garriot in space. His title? Astronaut. WTH?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Abedeus said:
Stop giving him attention for what he did years ago and failed more than others to do again recently.
Dude.

First ever zero-G wedding.

Officiated by Richard Garriot.

That's bizarre enough to be news no matter what he's done lately :p

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
I am just curious as to how much they had to pay him seeing that he is currently unemployed.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well I'm a Lord British fan from waaaay back. I'm sort of irritated over what he did with Ultima (and that he no longer does single player RPGs it seems). Yes, Tabula Rasa was a disaster, but I've had so much fun with his games over the years that I'm willing to give him a lot of leeway for failures.

But then again I'm pretty old, and grew up playing his stuff on the Commodore 64. :)

Generally speaking, people joke all the time that it's not difficult to become a priest or minister, though the question always arises as to "priest or minister of what". Also there are various ways to finagle the laws about being a Captain or whatever. I mean in theory you could get married by the Captain of a garbage scow in a lot of places and have it be legally binding. It happes on cruise ships with some frequency too I believe.

If Richard Garriot owns a boat, he might have been able to set things up that way.

I also believe that there are actually organizations like "The Church Of Elvis" and "The Church Of Ralph" that not only exist but can legally marry people. Given the sarcasm with people listing their religion for census takers years ago, I believe Jedism was also founded (today on Daily Talk we have our special guests to discuss religious issues. Rabbi Issac Goldstein, Catholic Priest Ernesto Benedict III, and Jedi Master Droulin Fanboi).

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Delmar Wynn said:
I am just curious as to how much they had to pay him seeing that he is currently unemployed.
I'm just wondering if they ever brought him down.

I'm hoping they didn't

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Abedeus said:
Dude.

First ever zero-G wedding.

Officiated by Richard Garriot.

That's bizarre enough to be news no matter what he's done lately :p
No, I mean, why didn't they get someone better?

Except that maybe he's just too poor to get a better job...

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
That couple should get a plaque or something. "OFFICIAL MARRIAGE-BY-LORD-BRITISH PLAQUE". And in weightlessness, too? They win.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Lord British is the King and Ruler of Britannia and a powerful, almost invincible Wizard. Therefore fully licensed to marry people in zero gravity.

Yeah.

Spleenbag said:
That couple should get a plaque or something. "OFFICIAL MARRIAGE-BY-LORD-BRITISH PLAQUE".
Just don't let LB get near that plaque.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Getting married in zero-gravity is amazing in-and-of-itself, but getting married by Lord British in zero-gravity...that couple deserves a medal or something. Or a plaque, heh.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Jesus Christ, despite how crazy Richard Garriot is, that's actually pretty cool. The married in space thing, anyway.

I didn't know Garriot was liscened to join people...