Jimmy Page, What's Your Problem?

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Jimmy Page, What's Your Problem?

Why are rock stars so old fashioned when it comes to games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero?

Read Full Article

Lithran

Sep 25, 2008
It does seem stupid. A game will never be a replacement for getting your backside to a place and rocking out to your favourite band, screaming along. Well, until we get to the whole VR thing. Even then, probably won't be the same.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Not all musicians take this old fashioned approach to music video games; actually, I think Jimmy Page is the first musician I've heard take this stance. Still, he is completely and utterly wrong. I'm guessing that he saw a picture of someone playing a color, plastic guitar and thought to himself "parody" rather than "tribute" or "innovation." What the people who think this don't understand is that imitation is the best form of flattery; and in a way, it's kind of an advertisement for the source object.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
You make an excellent point about reaching the next generation. However, I tend to think of music games as the first shock wave in the aftermath of the initial "ogod napster, our monies are gone now!" freak out that happened years earlier. Artists, including legends, are getting pissed off that the music itself isn't what draws people anymore.

Why would you buy a CD that only works in a CD player, when you can get an MP3? Why would you download an MP3 for $.99, when you can download it on Rock Band and play along?

It's all about cash flow, unfortunately. When the sense of propriety goes away from an art form like music, the art loses a bit of its meaning (and hence value). Like how a chef's recipe doesn't taste the same when you make it at home, or how your oil-paint landscape will never look quite as good as the one Bob Ross is showing you how to make. (Note: I'm not trying to say that Rock Band is teaching people music. Just that Rock Band devalues the original art in a way.)

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
good article. my thoughts exactly, except more well thought out and expressed lol.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
shophius said:
Because it's their opinion.
But we don't agree! We're entitled to whine!

Lithran said:
It does seem stupid. A game will never be a replacement for getting your backside to a place and rocking out to your favourite band, screaming along.
I do that while I play Guitar Hero.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
To an extent, I do agree with the rockstars. I mean, really, if you can 100% "Through the Fire and the Flames" on expert then you really need to start learning a real guitar.

Other than that, I agree near fully with you.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
I know a bunch of people who play in a band and also like playing GH/RB. I've asked some of them if the games actually help them in any way, and aside from the furious strumming that comes along with the higher difficulties, there is really notheing to gain. The expriences are nothing alike, and the people who are good at it are also the ones who play games anyways. (It is kind of funny to see a band's lead guitar player fail horribly on easy)

I wonder how many of the musicians that are against GH/RB don't play videogames anyways.

Maet

The Altoid Duke
Jul 31, 2008
The whole argument is ridiculous, and I really don't want to say anymore on the subject than this: Page and the Gallagher brothers feeling threatened by Rock Band has as much weight as Scorsese and Spielberg feeling threatened by YouTube.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Great article, but consider this: These people are part of a rather older generation of music (Nickelback obviously excluded) The way they see it, is that the fact that more people are playing a music game controlled by a plastic guitar and a MIDI drum kit is essentially going to make them lazy to the extent they won't bother to get music lessons, hence the amount of musicians will slowly die out.

I know it sounds like a Chicken Little Sky is Falling scenario, but that's my two cents anyway.

Mar 17, 2009
Nobody ever had any complaints about Led Zepp stealing music, why does he feel entitled to whine about this? Yes Jimmy, we get it! This generation sucks and this used to be all fields. Now stop waving your cane and go back to bed.

skwareballz

May 14, 2009
You do feel a different connection to music through music games, but Jimmy Page is so good at guitar that he probably doesn't have the ability to come down to a mortal's level and realize how we feel while playing a song.

Maybe someone should go to Jimmy Page and get him involved in making a music game that gets more and more complex with a real guitar plugged into it so you do actually learn how to play. Then he will have even more money and be able to buy the rest of castles in england.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Much as I was a huge Zeppelin fan in high school, and still respect Page & crew for all their contributions to rock music (on stage, in the studio, behind the console and the business side of things), this is hardly surprising.

Zep have always been album-oriented: they barely released any singles during their career (most notably, they never released "Stairway to Heaven"), they released one concert film of dubious quality while they were active, and they were notorious about not licensing songs for television, movies or commercials until very recently. So it took them over 30 years to get to that stage--they'll probably all be dead before their estate starts licensing songs for video games.

Coolness

Nov 4, 2008
Fantastic article.

Also I thought it should be said (if it wasn't already) that not all old rockers are against Rock Band / Guitar Hero.

Joe Perry of Aerosmith supports it, if that wasn't obvious with the GH game.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
I wonder if it's just that these musicians are not in touch with what it is these games are and how they operate. A lot of these people are very busy in their own personal world of music and money and being famous, and I get the feeling they really don't play or care for video games to begin with. Even if they're not that old, they get very stereotypically "parental" about games: they think they're a waste of time, ruin your social life, and drain you of energy you could be spending on something they consider more valuable.

Unless they stop disliking games in general, they're going to keep disliking music games. Especially music games, because these step on the boundaries of their own insular worlds. If they regarded games more highly, they'd be hard pressed to find complaints, as the article clearly points out.