Carmack, Hollenshead Explain Why id Was Sold

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Carmack, Hollenshead Explain Why id Was Sold

ZeniMax Media [http://www.idsoftware.com].

id revealed earlier today that it had been Doom [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92641-ZeniMax-Media-Acquires-id-Software] and upcoming stuff, talking about all of that, we were getting a pretty consistent line from all the publishers," he said. "They were willing to continue to fund our working with partner companies for all of these but pretty much every publisher said, 'Well, it would be worth much more to us if you would grow your studio and do more of your own work internally.'"

"Going back to a much earlier time, we were just Activision's [http://www.activision.com] shooter shop. We did the FPSes there. There was no conflict, and that was great," he continued. "But they brought on their own internal studios and there's a very real conflict there between whether they want to put resources behind something they own the IP for and derive all the profit for versus something where they don't own the IP and they might feel like any effort they're putting into it isn't going into their value but somebody else's. That problem has grown over the years as budgets have increased."

Hollenshead said ZeniMax was a "better fit" than either Activision or Electronic Arts [http://www.ea.com], both of which have published id games in the past, and said that while the studio will now be able to focus on internal development its operations will remain largely unchanged. "Things aren't really going to be different in terms of what's going on at id," Hollenshead said. "We're not going to change the kinds of games we make... There will be more, better games from id. So if you're a fan of the company, then it is all upside and all things to look forward to."

The upcoming Doom 4 [http://www.wolfenstein.com/home/agegate?ref=home]. And while terms of the deal were not disclosed, Carmack said the id and Bethesda teams will remain "very much separate."

"There's going to be a lot of communication and cross-pollination. I doubt there's going to be any technology shifts between the two companies, but there's certainly going to be cooperation. And I wouldn't be shocked to see some hints of different things crossing over in different ways," he said. "That's just the kind of stuff when you have lots of people who think everybody is working on cool stuff together."

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Maybe if you had released I don't know...good games in the last years, instead of just making a gaming engine, you could have remain independent? I don't know...just a thought.

HeartAttackBob

Sep 11, 2008
While I do find it vaguely interesting which company owns who, and what they are developing/have developed, one thing that seems to elude me is an overall picture of the business hierarchy. Please correct me if I screw something up or miss something.

ZeniMax (a publisher?) owns Bethesda (a developer).
Now ZeniMax also owns ID Software (also a developer).

ID will still be putting out Wolfenstein with Activision (publisher).
ID will also be putting out Rage with EA (publisher).
But other, future ID games will be put out with ZeniMax.

How does the funding work?
A publisher gives a developer some money to make a game, the publisher reaps the profits, and gives the dev company more money to make another? (roughly?)

If this is the case, why don't Developers own Publishers? Wouldn't it make just as much sense to have, as part of a game development company, a subsidiary that handles the marketing/distribution and such? What is it that publishers do for developers that's so valuable that the publishers can not only own the developer entirely, but can own several of them?

This seems to be approximately equivalent to Barns & Noble owning a bunch of novel authors. So I assume I'm missing something.

Maybe this is clear to someone else, if so I would love some enlightenment.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Kwil said:
So.. wolfenstein with auto-levelling nazis and oblivion with 'monster-in-the-box' closets?

Sounds.. ugh.
The game releases in less than 2 months, it's probably already done. If this was a joke you fumbled it brilliantly.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
For those afraid of Doom becoming dumber, it's already as dumb as it can get. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you, but I'm just saying...

Also, here's what Romero has to say about the topic. [http://twitter.com/theromero/status/2313797026]

HeartAttackBob

Sep 11, 2008
Kwil said:
Some of them do. They're called indy developers.

And the basic answer to your question is, "Marketing isn't cheap, nor is developing relationships with retailers" Publishers have that. It's not like Charlie from Unknown Worlds can go to Walmart's VP Purchasing (Software Division) and say, "Hey, we've got this wicked cool game coming out, think you could give it some shelf-space?"

Their first question would be, "Who the hell are you and why didn't security stop you at the door?"

Publishers have put in the money, time, and social expertise to develop relationships where they can talk to these people.

The equivalence isn't Barnes & Noble owning a bunch of novel authors, it's more like WEA or Island Records owning a bunch of music artists. Which.. is pretty much how it is.
Aah, interesting. So in some sense the publishers are acting as a sort of "quality control" mechanism for retailers like EB/Gamestop/Walmart/etc.
If a publisher hasn't backed it, the big retailers are going to be calling security.
I imagine that's why digital distribution platforms like Steam offer a much larger number of indy games than any brick & mortar store I've ever seen.

Thanks Kwil, that makes a lot more sense.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
I need the next Fallout game to be co-made by id.
it would be to put it lightly, awesome.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Gerazzi said:
I need the next Fallout game to be co-made by id.
it would be to put it lightly, awesome.
Actually, you know, it -would- be awesome. ID, while a little weak on things like plot and such in their games, do atmosphere like nothing else, I mean, just imagine say, what they could have done to the many indoor areas? Or indeed, the night-time environs. F3 could certainly have used a little more spookiness at times.