Updated: flOw Creator Accuses iPhone Game of Copying

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Updated: flOw Creator Accuses iPhone Game of Copying

Aquatica, a game for the iPhone, looks extremely similar to thatgamecompany's flOw, so similar, in fact, that flOw designer Jenova Chen is calling out its developers for using his work without crediting him.

After seeing a video of flOw [http://www.ketara.ca/aqua.html] has somehow made its way to the iPhone. That's because the games look startlingly alike - so much alike that flOw creator Jenova Chen believes it's built from flOw's source code, which he released to the public.

"I released flOw source for people to learn," Chen wrote on his Twitter. "I didn't expect to see it on iPhone without quoting the creator." He later elaborated on his claims, telling 1UP [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174929] that "the image and animation in Aquatica is almost identical to the original web game I created. I felt maybe they are one of the many who asked me for the flOw source code."

Aquatica developer Ketera Software, however, disagrees. "Actually, all the source code is completely, 100% written from scratch," they wrote in YouTube comments. "Please check your facts before you make such baseless accusations."

Ketera continued its counter-argument by saying that many games within a certain "class" use similar ideas and are similar outside of cosmetic differences. This is certainly true for flOw, which found its gameplay emulated in Spore's opening stages. Chen's problem, however, doesn't seem to be with people using his ideas so much as not giving him any credit.

"I thought the creation of Aquatica is a very flattering thing because they mimic the game I created in the university and somewhat realized my dream for a flOw game on the iPhone," he said. "It could be a very sweet thing if they did this as a fan ware and put it out for free. But the fact they didn't mention flOw at all and call it a 'new, unique game completely in a class of its own' is disappointing."

Whatever the case may be here, I doubt a tiny studio like thatgamecompany has the time or resources to pursue legal action, and I doubt they want to. So maybe someone should just email someone else, make nice and we can all get back to ripping each other off. After all, as Roger Meyers Jr. once said [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Violence_Died]: "You take away our right to steal ideas, where are they going to come from?"

UPDATE: Keteria Software has issued a public and personal apology to Chen.

"Aquatica was an iPhone remake/fan version of the famous flOw game originally created by Jenova Chen of the ThatGameCompany fame," the studio wrote. "We deeply apologize for not properly crediting Jenova initially, and have already written him with a personal apology, as well. Our mistakes were caused by naivety, not malice."

The studio also removed the game from the App Store. "We will also make sure nothing like this ever happens in the future," they said.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Wow, what a blatant rip-off.

'Baseless accusations'...that's such sad. Take some pride in your work and actually create your own product next time.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
Wow they couldn't even be bothered to chainge the sprites. I'm all for remakes. Where would we be if programming students couldn't clone pong or tetris? But not crediting the original creator when they ask you to is pretty lame.

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
the games are exactly the same!
Ridiculous, they must think people are extremely stupid. We're getting there, but not yet.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Brotherofwill said:

'Baseless accusations'...that's such sad. Take some pride in your work and actually create your own product next time.
Or at the very least name your "inspiration". Because the odds of this being simply coincidentally similar are flat-out astronomical.

If I were to release and attempt to sell a game featuring a pair of Czechian-descended bricklayer sisters who crawled through airducts to visit different worlds and stomped on enemies that looked like amoebas and cockroaches, I'd probably see a cease-and-desist letter from Nintendo. Ketera Software didn't even make that much of an effort. All Chen wants is an acknowledgement.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
That is exactly the same... like seriously I had two windows open with each game and I couldn't tell the difference.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Even if they created the code from scratch, they certainly took a good, long, menacing look at flOw's design. They didn't even have the courtesy to change the sprites, let alone mention thatgamecompany or flOw at all. And they even had the audacity to claim it's new and unique. Crooks, crooks, I say!

Macar

Jun 16, 2009
The only differences are downgrades- the sound sucks compared to the original and the mouth dosent look as cool- that's it.

Quite a sad mockery really.

Burn the plagerizers!

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
This happens all the time at this level of game creation. How many of these people try to make a living just copying Bejewelled, Diner Dash or whatever they see making money? They move up market to join in on the iPhone gold rush and rip off classier ideas for the Apple victim demographic.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
More Fun To Compute said:
This happens all the time at this level of game creation. How many of these people try to make a living just copying Bejewelled, Diner Dash or whatever they see making money? They move up market to join in on the iPhone gold rush and rip off classier ideas for the Apple victim demographic.
Ripping off people's game designs is a way of life and I'm all for it.

But that's the exact same art as fl0w. If they wanted to make the exact same game and do new assets for it, gravy. But that's just blatant.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
ArcWinter said:
the games are exactly the same!
Ridiculous, they must think people are extremely stupid. We're getting there, but not yet.
I'd more accurately say 95% the same - the UI and some of the sprites look abit different. But yeah, thats not a big enough difference to be even remotely a new game.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
This must be how PopCap feel when they see the zillions of Bejeweled etc clones that are just different enough to avoid legal action

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
I gotta say this.
What... The... Fuck?
This Aquatica is an almost exact copy of flOw. I personally believe that the game be removed or Ketera Software be removed profits pulled, and thatgamecompany go there from now on.
I don't see how they can pull this out of their asses saying "it's completely from scratch."
Bull-fucking-shit.

popdafoo said:
That is exactly the same... like seriously I had two windows open with each game and I couldn't tell the difference.
flOw had higher quality, looked better, and was fucking original!

I'm sorry if I sound overbearing, but people who do this (in my opinion) should be fired.
Thatgamecompany worked hard to get the publicity(ish) and fame that they have today.

Now it's just time to sit back and wait for Ketera Software to clone Flower and try and talk their way out of that.

[small]Calm down...[/small]

You know I wouldn't be so offended if Ketera Software would have just changed the gameplay mechanics, and sprites. All would be (almost) fine if they would have just done that.

man-man

Jan 21, 2008
Everything the same down to the red and blue 'pings' on the sides of the screen to show where the level change swimmers were... maybe they've rewritten flow, maybe they copied it direct, we'll never know. But visually, that's the same damned game with some very minor cosmetic changes in how the body parts (the mouth and wings) look.

Apr 28, 2008
Saying that Aquatica wasn't inspired by flow is like saying that Left 4 Dead wasn't inspired by the Counter Strike Scource zombie mod.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
More Fun To Compute said:
Ripping off people's game designs is a way of life and I'm all for it.

But that's the exact same art as fl0w. If they wanted to make the exact same game and do new assets for it, gravy. But that's just blatant.
You only think that this is wrong and a Diner Dash clone that is almost exactly the same as Diner Dash only with slightly different art is acceptable because you, probably rightly, don't care about Diner Dash or it's creators.

irrelevantnugget

Mar 25, 2008
Brotherofwill said:

I wholeheartedly agree with what you said.

The sad thing is that very likely this rip-off will sell better than flOw.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
Well it's significantly better looking and less complex than flOw.

excuse me for a moment, I need to go get my .22, and find the hq for this developer of "aquatica"