Crackdown 2 Has "New Map," Retains Half of Original Team

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Crackdown 2 Has "New Map," Retains Half of Original Team

Crackdown 2 may have a new developer and an "entirely new map" for its city environment, but we can trust that Pacific City's still in good hands, because the game is retaining half of its original development team.

While Realtime Worlds plugs away at All Points Bulletin and its other "miffed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92625-APB-Dev-Is-Also-Working-On-Another-MMOG]" over.

But if you're afraid that Crackdown 2 won't be Crackdown because it's being handled by a company that's not Realtime Worlds, fear not. "Close to half of our team worked on the original game," Ruffian Games' Billy Thompson, who was a lead designer on Crackdown, told EDGE [http://www.edge-online.com/features/interview-ruffian-games?page=0%2C0]. "We've got core members from every discipline who worked on it, the majority of the design team, and, depending on whom you speak to, some of the best coders and most talented artists."

We'd suspected this since the formation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88293-New-Studio-Forms-To-Make-Crackdown-2] of Ruffian when the studio was revealed to be composed of key Crackdown creators, but it's nice to have confirmation. The same developers, however, does not necessarily mean the same game. While Ruffian's pretty scarce with the specifics, it sounds like Crackdown 2 is shaping up to be a fairly different beast than its predecessor.

"From an environmental point of view, you probably would look at it as being an entirely new map. It's still Pacific City but further on in the timeline," Thompson said. "We've altered a great deal, and think people who enjoyed the first game are going to be really pleased when they enter this one. And we've made sure the gameplay's altered significantly."

How has it altered? While Ruffian says it is adding "variation with the objectives" to avoid the somewhat barebones "find-the-boss, kill-the-boss" structure of the original game, it'll be keeping Crackdown on the other side of the sandbox game spectrum from more story-oriented fare like Grand Theft Auto. "One thing we're not getting caught up in is dialogue-driven cutscenes," Thompson said. "It's not what we do and we've no business going towards that kind of thing."

Good, because if I ever get a call from my annoying cousin while I'm trying to throw a dead body off the top of a skyscraper into the ocean, I swear, I'll turn off the game right then and there.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
But this means the game will only be half good....

Cannot wait for this game hurry up!

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
...I liked the bare-bones "Go for the bosses" gameplay. The entire game was fun for just that reason :(

Shame, but I'll probably still pick it up.

Jan 29, 2009
"One thing we're not getting caught up in is dialogue-driven cutscenes," Thompson said. "It's not what we do and we've no business going towards that kind of thing."
Oh thank God.
I liked how they didn't try to make us characterize with a bunch of squishy, vulnerable things, when you're a cloned super cop.

pwsaindon

Apr 3, 2009
As long as I can still jump 70 miles into the air, Jump with cars, and jump from building to building chasing a friend to boot him off - I'll buy the game and enjoy it a lot.

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
As long as they can make my jump higher than a flea on steroids, it will rock.

No driving please, I hated driving in that game when I could be leaping over buildings and running down the roads like the Road Runner.

And they better have my tattoo-faced character, I named him Tonga.

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
SecretTacoNinja said:
As long as they can make my jump higher than a flea on steroids, it will rock.
Oh, Oh, Oh yeah!
Or jumping higher than a guy on a super-pogo stick.

[sub]Plenty of "2"s out in 2009-- A safe bet in a time of Global Economic Downturn.[/sub]

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I hope that these gameplay changes include a different way of leveling agility. DEATH TO THE AGILITY ORBS!

But other than that, more plot would be cool. They could do a system like inFamous: have really short scenes, and deliver most of the story in-game. Oh, and making driving useful would be cool too, I suppose.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
I disagree about driving being useless. Maybe it was because I immensely enjoyed just hitting the main highway in the Agency Big Rig and running every gang car off the road in a fireball. However I can see how driving sorta becomes less important once you can leap across 3 rooftops in a single jump. On the other hand once it was leveled up all the way the Supercar became the most dangerous item on the road next to the Big Rig having a turbo boost.