Stolen Pixels #77: Go 4 Broke

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #77: Go 4 Broke

How far would Valve go to perfect one of its games? You probably don't want to know.

Read Full Article

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Am I the only one who feels guilt when listening to the developer commentary for Valve games? What they convey is that you are playing a product of supreme extravagance, and that they spared no effort or expense to bring the game into existence. In the commentaries, Valve employees relate aspects of their work, which involves obsessing over slight imperfections in the experience that would escape the notice of the vast majority of players. It's shocking to hear anecdotes about the days and weeks of development time they spend fussing around with minute details.
Same here, I'm always amazed by the little details they put into those commentaries that show that e.v.e.r.y.thing was planned and tested on.

I'm not saying Valve would build, populate, and subsequently bomb a city to rubble in order to make one of their games.
Yes. Yes, they would ;)

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
And I wouldn't be surprised if they developed a Zombie virus and infected some play testers to develop the enemy A.I

Valve just puts that extra bit of effort into their games

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
And I wouldn't be surprised if they developed a Zombie virus and infected some play testers to develop the enemy A.I
They would have, but Umbra Corp beat them to it ;).

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Doug said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Has anyone checked under the Valve building recently?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Doug said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Has anyone checked under the Valve building recently?
Hush, thats where they 'found' the combine *cough-made-a-real-City-17-and-xen-teleporter-cough*

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
The commentary on Portal is brilliant, really gives you an idea on how games are 'actually' made, especially 'Just look up'
Indeed, its always impressive to go over a game again with the commentary turned on to see what they have to say. Valve give you a real insight into their design and development processes, and it does explain why they take so very, very, very long to make anything ;).

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
oop! ouchies, the poor townspeople.

so wait was that the big thump i heard above my new lab two weeks ago.

(yes, I moved the lab. To Canada)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Lord_Ascendant said:

Nah, that was the delivery of explosing barrels, so Valve could gather data on ragdolling for the source engine. With 'volunteers'.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Doug said:
Lord_Ascendant said:

Nah, that was the delivery of explosing barrels, so Valve could gather data on ragdolling for the source engine. With 'volunteers'.
i think they stole some of those barrels from me, i lost a few in transit. wait does 2,000 constitute a "few"

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Lord_Ascendant said:
Doug said:
Lord_Ascendant said:

i think they stole some of those barrels from me, i lost a few in transit. wait does 2,000 constitute a "few"
For Valve, yes.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Ever since the lost coast thing valve started putting in the commentary. I don't remember it in HL-2, just HL-2 lost coast, but people liked the commentary for lost coast since it was just a tech demo, they wanted to do SOMETHING to make it more interesting.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Yeah. It'd be nice if they retroactively added developer commentary to HL2. But they've probably forgotten many of the necessary anecdotes by now.

(There were shockingly large sections of HL2:E2 that were commentary-free. It made me sad. I love the commentary, especially the bits where they reveal how much effort they put into something that you just completely don't notice, because it's so realistic.)