Michael Jackson Breaks the Internet

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008

Inquiries into Michael Jackson's death yesterday flooded news and search sites, causing Twitter to crash, Google to give errors, and severe slowdown across the Internet as a whole.

When the Escapist staff first read reports that the King of Pop had met his untimely demise, you'd better believe we hit the virtual Google streets, performing multiple searches in an attempt to verify TMZ's initial post. [http://www.tmz.com/2009/06/25/michael-jackson-dies-death-dead-cardiac-arrest/] As it turns out, we weren't the only ones.

Once the mass public caught word of the story, Google, AOL, CNN, and other sites reported the Web slowing down to a sickly crawl. The search engine titan, Google, initially believed they were under attack: The sheer number of people querying the star's death caused many of them to receive an error page informing them that "your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application."

Twitter's servers buckled and collapsed under the weight of thousands of people tweeting the breaking news; before the servers died, they noted that nearly 66,500 people had mentioned "Michael Jackson" in their latest tweets. By Thursday afternoon, the number of Twitter posts about the King of Pop had reached 100,000 per hour.

TMZ is credited with being the first to post the news on Michael's death. They've taken a break from their coverage of celebrities' receding hairlines and nipple slips to give us constant breaking news of any and all MJ news, including Flavor Flav's rejected condolences. [http://www.tmz.com/2009/06/26/corey-feldman-michael-jackson-outfit/]

Source: BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8120324.stm]

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Blimey. Thank god I found out while browsing the Escapist at god knows what in the morning.

I guess I missed that slowing. Now to be smug.

Still, breaking the itnernet is an impressive achievement.

findler

Jun 19, 2009
I knew it was gonna be big, but breaking the internet is gonna be a hard one to top by any person.

daviejjd

Apr 1, 2009
not to sound disrespectful to a dead man, but I think he's just a freak who can't really sing

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Yeah, even Sickipedia slowed down to a crawl and the database died.

All those peeps looking for Michael Jackson jokes :L

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
megatron2.0 said:
AmrasCalmacil said:
your totally right
True. Do you reckon he'll be remembered as "The King of Pop, Who also Broke the Internet"?

No disrespect to the man.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
bernthalbob616 said:
megatron2.0 said:
AmrasCalmacil said:
your totally right
True. Do you reckon he'll be remembered as "The King of Pop, Who also Broke the Internet"?

No disrespect to the man.
And, to people who didn't care for his music, as a child abuser and drug addict.

I wouldn't be surprised if drugs stopped his heart, really.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It's called going out with a bang. "Michael Jackson paralyzed Twitter... AFTER he died! It's a sign of the second coming!" (My friend after seeing this article)

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
trademespots said:
... from beyond the grave! *cue Vincent Price*

Bye, Michael. You were one really messed-up dude, but you provided a lot of people a lot of honest joy. RIP.

-- Steve

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Yeah his Wiki page was broken yesterday and the internet was so slow. That's pretty crazy. It's good to know that he's still making the news. He will be missed. Of course right now I'm still in denial and having a hard time believing that Michael Jackson is dead...