Sony: PSP Go Costs More Because of a "Premium"

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Sony: PSP Go Costs More Because of a "Premium"

The PSP Go doesn't cost more for any other reason other than that Sony thinks that new hardware should be priced according to "a certain premium," whatever that means.

When Michael Pachter called the PSP Go a "rip-off," he was being a little bit over the top, but I think we all agreed with what he was basically saying. At $80 more than the current PSP model, the thing isn't exactly cheap. So why the dramatic price difference? When MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/features/499/House-Proud] suggested it might be to protect retail margins (since there won't be retail game sales with the digital-only Go) or to recoup research costs, Sony denied both reasons.

"Those aren't the factors," Andrew House, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, said. "When you introduce a new piece of hardware you have the opportunity to say there is a certain premium that is associated with it, and we took that into account."

Now I don't have a MBA or anything, so forgive me if I'm getting mixed up here, but to me that sounds like there's no reason for making the thing more expensive other than the fact that new stuff is supposed to be more expensive, since they have that "premium" value. I see the business logic there - if something didn't cost more, it wouldn't seem like something newer or better than what's already out there.

"As with all hardware launches you look at the business model, the cost structure, and the necessary level of profitability, and you use that to set the wholesale price," House said. "Much as we do with any other hardware."

When Pachter apologized for his "rip-off" remark, he said that if Sony can "make a profit on the PSP Go, more power to them." I can't say I disagree - Sony should feel free to do whatever they have to in order to get themselves into the land of actually making money, but I can't help but feel that even if they did do their homework and are pricing the machine strategically, that it's still a bit much. I'm not sure gamers will perceive of the "certain premium" associated with the Go as clearly as Sony does.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
And apparantly it's even more of a "Premium" here in Europe. So what, we pay more for shiny things than the rest of the world? Bad form Sony. Is the PSP Go PSP2 or is it just a PSPi?

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Huh. So, basically this is "because we fucking can" model of pricing? Thats nice. No wonder I don't buy Sony stuff anymore...

CustomMagnum

Mar 6, 2009
Well, we can safely say that SONY has completely lost it's mind now. Before it was just suspected, but now? I'd hate to be the one's running that company when this blows up in their faces.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Premium not included, I'm still not even close to being sold on this new PSP.

Good luck with your new digital only distribution console, Sony. So, here I was thnking it wouldn't be possible for any current console to have less shelf space devoted to it than the current PSP...

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Whoa, I can't believe the PR department let this one out. Basically Sony is openly telling everyone what they are thinking in a way which will make customers feel like they are being manipulated. It's just like revealing what you think about a player at the poker table, telling him what his weakness is and how you are able to exploit it.

Another good analogy would be if I was playing poker and told the fish at the table (the weak players) that I want them at the table so they can make the game profitable for me.

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
I used to like the PSP because it's newer models were not as pointless as the DS' latest installments for instance, but after I heard about this mockery of a "PSP" was being released and the price so laughable that I just thought to myself, "Why is Sony trying to drive AWAY their costumers", I doubt many people will buy this regardless of the 16GB drive, I think alot of people will just stick to the ol' memory sticks.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
So basically.

My current PSP was much cheaper, can play PSX and PSP games (albeit because of custom firmware), and it doesn't have an obnoxious name tacked onto it.

I'm not sure I see why I'd buy that.

Especially since my memory card is already 24 gigs.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
A playstation product that's a) overpriced and b) not worth the cost? Well, I guess there's a first time for everything, hm?

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
Wait I have to pay a "premium" for a device thats uglier and doesn't have a UMD drive? Awesome! Sony must read the minds of consumers when designing these devices.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
A new handheld that not only fails to meet my standards, but isn't even worth the price?

Man, it's the DSi all over again.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Now all Sony has to do is have the power up animation be a middle finger parade and the sound effect be someone saying "Beeeeeoooootch".

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Oh good, I'm not the only one that gets the impression that Sony's idea of marketing is to give their entire consumer base a giant middle finger.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Here we go again with the "oooh noooooes it's too expensive!" cries from the gutter.

The current generation of people on this planet annoy me... they always want something for nothing and demand that everything be conveniently priced with them in mind. Nevermind a Business making a profit, oh no, can't have that! Nobody should have to "save their money" or work a little extra time in order to afford what is essentially a luxury item! Everything should be as close to free as free can get!

If you want one, save up and buy it. If you don't want to work for it, don't OWN it.
Just get over the "it's too expensive!" tear-fest already.