Tell Me a Story

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Tell Me a Story

Everybody loves a good story but when you're waving a gun around like a maniac, is it really necessary?

Read Full Article

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
I thought this would be something silly. I was going to tell you a story too.

There once was a little sausage called Baldrick.
Who lived happily ever after.

lostclause

Mar 31, 2009
I agree about Bioshock, a multiplayer just doesn't fit but since I'm still certain that it's not going to be as good as the first I'll give it a miss.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:

I only had a poem.

Hear the words I sing,
War's a horrid thing,
So I sing-sing-sing...
Ding-a-ling-a-ling.

Interesting article though. Not sure if I understood he bit about Half-Life's story camoflauging the lack of story.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I recall Valve stating there were no mirrors in Half-Life because the player is supposed to be Gordon Freeman.

The blockbuster mentality comes from the budgets involved, when you're spending as much as Hollywood does on a blockbuster you better make sure you make money like Hollywood does on a blockbuster or the bottom line won't match up. When somebody cuts the budget to make a cheaper game people decry it as casualization unless it's aimed at a tiny niche that'll have trouble even paying for the reduced development budget.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:

This story ticks all the boxes, not too long and it has a happy ending... Brilliant! *CLAPS* :D

Time Travelling Toaster

The Toast with the 'Tache
Mar 1, 2009
There was once a young man from Goshum... sorry wrong kind of story >.> Seriously though
lostclause said:
I agree about Bioshock, a multiplayer just doesn't fit but since I'm still certain that it's not going to be as good as the first I'll give it a miss.
This a story feels more important to a good game than multiplayer for me. Unless its a MMO game of course.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
You said how Half-Life has managed to cover-up for not having a story at all, and it's not that i disagree with you, but i am more ocnfused on HOW, can you or somene else explain that tidbit a little farther?

lostclause

Mar 31, 2009
Time Travelling Toaster said:
There was once a young man from Goshum... sorry wrong kind of story >.> Seriously though
lostclause said:
This a story feels more important to a good game than multiplayer for me. Unless its a MMO game of course.
Hmm...I'll have to go with 'depends on the genre' with that one. Gameplay is the most important but I'm not sure about story. For something like bioshock or assassin's creed story is vastly more important than multiplayer but for other games (mainly shooters) multiplayer like co-op is fun. But the first bioshock had such a great story that ended very neatly, I don't think there should be a sequel there's no call for it. Sure bioshock was awesome but it was awesome because it was unique (and before people start gabbing on about SS 2, I know).

Marohen

Jun 30, 2009
I have reflected on this troubling matter myself as well after the success of Transformers 2.

Games can be given considerable leeway in regards to story and depth so long as the gameplay is fun and interesting. One could say that story increases the duration in which a game might be remembered, but this too can be disregarded if the gameplay is extremely innovating.

In the end, while an artist dreams to achieve the things reflected upon in this article, businessmen run this ship, who can only short-sightedly produce what the majority desires, and as such it's a pity that the majority desire so little.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Not sure what to think of this article. On one hand I don't care that much about sequels to Bioshock and Max Payne and what they do with them. On the other hand I think that if they are not going to deliver what the writer enjoyed about the original then he has a right to be disappointed no matter what the majority think.

I would be annoyed if some hack took over something I love like the X-Com licence and tried to make it something completely different for his own entertainment! No matter how much he told me that nobody but me liked turn based tactical combat.

Story in games can make the game less fun and just be a self indulgent waste of time and money by the game creator but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. Mostly, I have given up trying to guess what people will respond to the most because it can be depressing.

AkJay said:
You said how Half-Life has managed to cover-up for not having a story at all, and it's not that i disagree with you, but i am more ocnfused on HOW, can you or somene else explain that tidbit a little farther?
This sums up what I think of the story in Half-Life and I'm prepared to weather the enmity of valve game storytelling methodology true believers.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Obtusifolius said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:

Wow, that's really great - you should turn it into a navel...
A navel...is that some sort of organ or weed?

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Wait... how is the hero of Half Life Nameless Faceless and Generic? Gordon Freeman, Brown Hair, Beard, Glasses. Also MIT grad. How many action heroes have Doctorates?

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Simriel said:
Wait... how is the hero of Half Life Nameless Faceless and Generic? Gordon Freeman, Brown Hair, Beard, Glasses. Also MIT grad. How many action heroes have Doctorates?
Except he isn't shown in the game and his qualifications are pretty much irrelevant to anything that happens.

How different is an action hero with a doctorate anyway?

Zwebbie

Jul 1, 2009
You'll have to excuse me for the brutality of commenting like this in my first post. But I figure that someone who wants to be heard badly enough to post articles on sites shouldn't be afraid to hear other people, and *yes*, I am well aware of the hypocrisy.

So, for whom exactly is this article written? The game designers who are happily earning money? The average Joe customer who's happy with his storyless games? Or to likeminded individuals that are likely to visit the Escapist? I fail to see how anyone would change his mind. Plenty of people are happy with the way things are going and those who aren't... well, they're not doing much about it.

Don't get me wrong - I'm as dissatisfied with the state of the games industry as anyone, but I think venting on the Internet is not a solution. It's relieving, sure, but be aware that this isn't some storyteller's manifesto that'll change games even a tiny bit.

Some of the best art was made out of frustration. The Aeneid was written to teach those soft and corrupt Romans to be manly again. The Divine Comedy is one big piece of frustration about 14th century Florence and the papacy. Closer to home, Planescape Torment was created out of frustration with the lousy standard fantasy setting and overused gameplay concepts and World of Goo was made by EA employees who couldn't take working on EA's games anymore. So, and I do know I might be exaggerating here, why aren't you making something better? Yeah, gameplay and graphics will suffer, but World of Goo was made by only two guys and that even went out with the intention to sell, rather than some free indie game over the net that you could make.

Story just isn't going to sell. Maybe some people will have moderate successes with story-based games, but they're never going to be big, so stop trying. You saw it with Max Payne 2 - great story, never did too well. Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, featuring the most characterful characters you'll ever meet in a game killed Troika. Little wonder that the industry is what it is today. For the time being, I'm voicing my opinion with my wallet - no Gears of War coming through my door and the only Fallouts I have are the first two.

-

Secondly, and more fitted to the topic at hand, I very much believe that you can't apply non-interactive storytelling techniques directly in a game. Taken out of context and put next to other media, even Bioshock or Portal are no Hamlet or Oedipus Rex. Games are actually pretty terrible at telling stories. What a lot of them do is cop out and have parts that aren't a game at all to tell the story; cutscenes.

Now what they do do very well is create worlds and immerse you. A character in a game can interact with you - that's powerful. You can wander through imaginitive worlds. That's why Half-life is considered great. Yeah, Gordon Freeman isn't much of a character, but that's by design, since he's you. Barney, Alyx, Dr. Kleiner or even Dog and Lamarr are memorable. What's more, nobody ever tells you you've landed in a dystopia run by dictatorial aliens. You *experience* it. You get one or two lines about Nova Prospekt - that it was a prison, but now it's something much worse - but that's nothing compared to walking around there and seeing the inhuman place.

As another example, Max Payne 2 - I do love that game myself too - which tells its story in multiple ways. Moreso than the cutscenes or graphic novels, though, I think the dreams are absolutely awesome and the best levels in video game history. You don't get to do much real gameplay like the rest of the game, but the environments are simply amazing. The twisted reality, combining the various locations and the Pink Bird mental institute, is very dreamlike in its absurdness and it conveys Max' mind better than any part of its touted graphic novel. That's what video games are powerful at. Its stories aren't told. They aren't shown. They're experienced.

(And in that sense, I dare think that Team Fortress does better storytelling (English language not being helpful here) than many a shooter that does have a plot.)

Edit: I'd also like to mention that STALKER was way more enjoyable before the plot got in the way and explained everything that was ever mysterious and interesting about the game.

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
Obtusifolius said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:

Wow, that's really great - you should turn it into a navel...
I assume you meant novel, but I think if he made a game it could potentially be a best seller... As long as I get to slaughter waves of baddies out to get baldrick.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Whenever I think story in gaming is dead I think of BioWare. Then I feel better.

But yes, the lack of story in popular media is troubling now. However; I think that soon story will come back. The greatness of special effects will wear off soon enough and people will story going to movies because the trailer had cool special effects. Then developers and producers will have a problem: What can we do to get money now? And they will realize that the only thing left to do is make a story to captivate people.

At least... I hope so.