Analyst: Sony Will Take Second by 2015

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Analyst: Sony Will Take Second by 2015

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter predicts that Sony will push Microsoft into third place by 2015.

With the Wii firmly ensconced as the king of this generation, it's the race for second place that is the really interesting one and analyst Michael Prachter predicts that it is a race that Sony will eventually win.

In a company report, he wrote: "We think that the PS3 will capture significant market share, primarily due to Sony's victory in the high definition DVD format war, and will end up in second place by 2015. Although Microsoft's Xbox 360 enjoyed a first mover advantage, we think that its market position will fade to third place due to lack of penetration in Japan."

Of course, it's no mystery that Microsoft are struggling to get a foothold in Japan, a country that is traditionally Nintendo and Sony territory, but Pachter doesn't think that being relegated to third will necessarily hurt Microsoft, thanks to the ubiquity of Xbox Live:

"With over 10 million members (only 1 million of whom are Xbox Live Gold members), the Netflix installed base has an incentive to purchase an Xbox 360 and to join Xbox Live," he continued. "We expect the pace of game and movie downloads to increase exponentially over the next few years, and estimate that Microsoft generates over $100 million in profit annually from downloads."

"Microsoft has positioned the Xbox 360 to be an Internet and Entertainment hub in the living room. With the rollout of Project Natal expected in late 2010, we think that Microsoft will position itself as a centerpiece of the living room. We envision the addition of Internet television, video on demand, and open Internet access over the coming years, once Microsoft has decided how best to monetize its product offering."

Pachter's predictions make a certain amount of sense, but they are exactly that; predictions. Will Sony sort-of-win this round of the console war? We'll have to wait a while to find out.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/06/30/analyst-says-360-will-be-third-place-by-2015-and-thats-ok/]

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Lol I am sorry but by then the next next gen should be out. So Sony plans on not screwing it up next time? Or are they planning by then everyone will already have a 360 and have finally saved enough for a PS3?

I just painted a huge target on my back didn't I?

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
With them risking losing licenses I wouldn't brag about overtaking anything in "the future". Instead I'd focus on the present and stop wanking to pipe dreams.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
squid5580 said:
Lol I am sorry but by then the next next gen should be out. So Sony plans on not screwing it up next time? Or are they planning by then everyone will already have a 360 and have finally saved enough for a PS3?

I just painted a huge target on my back didn't I?
Yes you did. But yeah I agree.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
Too bad the next gen will be out before then. Sony blew it this gen, the PS3 is too expensive, Ubisoft is planning on dropping them, they refuse to cut the price. This gen is a flip from last gen, the PS3 = xbox and xbox360 = PS2.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Eh.....I always figured PS3 would eventually come out victorious.

But I always envisioned it: play the Xbox 360 now and then get the PS3 when it is in the prime of it's life.

Though that doesn't mean I love my Xbox 360 any less, even after two RoDD, Project Natal tells me that Microsoft is going to support the Xbox 360 a lot longer then I had expected. Besides Xbox Live has been good to me and my friends.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Cliff_m85 said:
With them risking losing licenses I wouldn't brag about overtaking anything in "the future". Instead I'd focus on the present and stop wanking to pipe dreams.
Hurry up and wait has been Sony's creed since the PS3 launched.

UltraBlumpkin

Aug 1, 2008
UsefulPlayer 1 said:

But I always envisioned it: play the Xbox 360 now and then get the PS3 when it is in the prime of it's life.

Though that doesn't mean I love my Xbox 360 any less, even after two RoDD, Project Natal tells me that Microsoft is going to support the Xbox 360 a lot longer then I had expected. Besides Xbox Live has been good to me and my friends.

Yeah, the PS3 just isn't in it's prime yet, it's only been out for two years! You all just wait until it gets some good games worth playing more than once, then you'll see. All the xbox fanboys will be crying "we beat you guys the first six years of production!!" But no one will care because the PS3 will reign supreme in second place in 2015!

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
nilcypher said:
In a company report, he wrote: "We think that the PS3 will capture significant market share, primarily due to Sony's victory in the high definition DVD format war..."
I've never met a single person that cared about Bluray, and I doubt I ever will.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
UltraBlumpkin said:
UsefulPlayer 1 said:

Yeah, the PS3 just isn't in it's prime yet, it's only been out for two years! You all just wait until it gets some good games worth playing more than once, then you'll see. All the xbox fanboys will be crying "we beat you guys the first six years of production!!" But no one will care because the PS3 will reign supreme in second place in 2015!
I'm hoping this isn't serious...and it will be 9 years since the ps3 was released by 2015.

sabotstarr

Sep 4, 2008
Ehhh. I doubt that Microsoft wont have a new console by then. I mean 11 + years for a console? Probably not going to happen. But hey i'm 17...What do i know...

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Microsoft will have another console out by 2012 I bet, so I doubt we can predict the PS3 coming out on top before we at least get within 2-3 years to the time we're talking about. Especially since Activision might drop PS3 coverage (even though it's unlikely) and Ubisoft seems to be doing something weird with Splinter Cell: Conviction. I don't think we can really predict about a time this far out.

Of course, the PS3 could have a price cut, and Sony might help 3rd party developers with a better dev kit. Who knows?