Control Robots With Your Thoughts Alone

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Control Robots With Your Thoughts Alone

Say goodbye to joysticks and switchboards and all those boring robot-controlling doodads. Thanks to Honda's Brain Machine Interface, robots can now be controlled with your thoughts alone.

Japan came one step closer to its dream of a robot-filled utopia today when Honda announced [http://world.honda.com/news/2009/c090331Brain-Machine-Interface-Technology/] the successful creation of its Brain Machine Interface, a technology that allows humans to control robots, and potentially all "intelligent" machines, with their thoughts alone.

The BMI, which looks a tad like Dark Helmet's helmet from Spaceballs, tracks two key phenomena in the human thought process: electrical current and blood flow. The BMI uses NIRS [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eeg] keeps track of the changes in the blood current in your brain. Then after some "statistical processing of the complex information from these two types of sensors," you're in business.

In Honda's experiments, the test subject simply imagined moving a robot's body part without any actual physical movement. The BMI then analyzed the data from brain waves and blood flow to figure out what the test subject was thinking about and then transferred the data over to the ASIMO robot, which then performed the imagined action. According to Honda, the accuracy rate was more than 90% during tests.

The possibilities of this aren't just limited to creating a massive robot army that can be remote controlled by people just sitting in a room thinking, though. "This technology will be further developed for the application to human-friendly products in the future by integrating it with intelligent technologies and/or robotic technologies," Honda said.

[Via CrunchGear [http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/03/31/humans-can-now-control-robots-by-thoughts-alone-video/]]

NikNaks

Aug 14, 2008
All these advancements in robotics are really starting to freak me out, although I can see its uses. One thing I think a lot of people are waiting for are true replacement limbs, especially for war veterans returning from Afghanistan (and Iraq to some extent), and this might just be another way around it. Obviously they'd want to do without the massive headgear, though.

Also, in before:

Terminator here we come!

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
I think the whole idea of 'robot armies' is a bit farfetched, truth be told it's chaper for goverments to give guns to soldiers. And unfortunatly they don't particulary give a rats arse if those soldiers are mangled horribly.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
http://www.robotuprising.com/

Read now. Prepare. Unchecked, Honda will kill us all.

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
That's actually pretty cool. Now to get my hands on one of those machines and a couple dozen robots...

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Holy shit I am kind of scared now. It's cool on one side, but something tells me that this is a step in a very wrong direction. The doomsday device cometh.

Snor

Mar 17, 2009
awesome now vertically challenged people don't have to walk anymore... ever!!!

Usagi_dono

Mar 26, 2009
I find the idea very interestng, and the uses can be many (althou, it really does bring your mind to things like terminator :p )

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
I am currently in a neurobiological course, and the prof used to work for the department of defense for the states. There are so many cool robots being developed at the moment that are mind boggling. The use of your mind to control something is neat, but I assume it will still be sluggish, although getting the correct movement 90% of the time, but I think this will be something that gets a lot more refined in 20 years.

Robotics will always be cool, so long as they don't turn on us.

Filtertip

Jan 30, 2009
omg Honda created skynet :p

intresting to see this is being done, its tech like this which can be used for replacment lim control, that is if they don't turn on us :p

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
oliveira8 said:
In a bunch of years the news will be "Control Humans With Your Thoughts Alone".
Haha, damn that's exactly what I was gonna say. XD

Also: in a few years, I'm so going to get my arm surgically replaced with a big frickin' vise and a built-in minigun.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Johnn Johnston said:
How long until... they control us?

Dun dun duuun!
In a bunch of years the news will be "Control Humans With Your Thoughts Alone".
The advertising slogan will ask you : "Are you tired of having to stretch your arms to swoosh that metal whip upon the organic slaves that populate this planet? Now, Control Humans with Your Thoughts Alone!"

Wait, someone write this down. Even after the robotic revolution, there will be a need for marketers.