Uncharted Is Coming to the Big Screen

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Uncharted Is Coming to the Big Screen

Sony has inked a deal with Columbia Pictures to produce a big screen adaptation of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Nathan Drake's ready for his close-up, as Sony has announced that it has penned a deal with Columbia Pictures to give Naughty Dog's Uncharted: Drake's Fortune a big screen adaptation. The film will be produced by Avi Arad, Charles Roven, Ari Arad and Alex Gartner, whose credits include many of the Marvel superhero movies, The Dark Knight, Get Smart and more.

"We have been working with Avi and the folks and Columbia for quite some time and look forward to sharing additional details on the film in the short future," Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells said [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/06/27/nathan-drake-heading-to-hollywood/]. "Obviously we designed the game to be a cinematic experience and we too can't wait to see it on the big screen."

According to IMDB [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0308672/news#ni0853423], the screenplay will be written by Kyle Ward. That name might be sound familiar to you: Ward is quickly becoming the go-to guy for game-to-movie adaptations in Hollywood, having written the Kane & Lynch script as well as the recently announced Hitman sequel. No word on how the movie will treat its source material, but you can probably rest assured series hero Nathan Drake will be in there somewhere.

Which of course sets in motion the fanboy favorite tradition of playing casting director for the movie adaptation of your favorite game. Who should play Nathan Drake? Firefly's Nathan Fillion [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0277213/] seems like a natural fit (and they have the same name too), but that probably makes too much sense to actually happen. Instead, my money will be on Mark Wahlberg, just because I like Mark Wahlberg. If not him, how about, uh, Tyrese? Yeah. Tyrese. That'll do.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
It's all been done before. I wish people would stop doing this. If your going to create a video game movie choose something that hasn't been done before. I'm sure Uncharted is a great game, but it's basically Indiana Jones.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I agree with the other sentiments, why does Uncharted need to be made into a film? What does it gain through the transition?

I suppose I should be pleased that more "adventure" movies will be making their way to the screen, but I have a bad feeling that Uncharted will, of course, be a piece of crap... you know... being a videogame movie and all.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
This movie would be an adaptation of a game which is a homage to a movie.

We have truly entered Bizzaroworld. On the plus side, I can actually see this being made.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
Even if it is just like Indiana Jones, if it's a good movie then that shouldn't matter. Although I've never played the game so I could be wrong.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Hm... sounds interesting. I fucking love Uncharted, so it could kick ass. As long as the director knows what to do.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
It's a movie based on a video game. Therefore, we must believe it "teh suxzorz!" before we even know what it's going to do!

....though part of me thinks that Uncharted is damn near perfect for this (much better than Shadow of the Fucking Colosus being a movie!) because it's practically is a summer blockbuster movie, filled with explosions, treasure, sexual inuendo ("Is that a knife or are you just happy to see me?" "Can't it be both?"), and a sarcastic-yet-lovable hero we can all root for!

Starring Chuck Norris as Nathan Drake, Chuck Norris and Sully, Chuck Norris as Elana, and Chuck Norris as the notorious bad guy!

....Directed by Chuck Norris!

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Psychosocial said:
Ho-ho-ho-hold your horses.

Isn't the story just some guy running around looking for treasures, encountering bad guys and shooting some people?

Indiana Jones has already done that, y'know, and National Treasure has already copied Indiana Jones, too..

But I could be wrong about the story, so please, correct me if I'm wrong.
You should probably you know... play ANY of the games you rip on, that way you wouldn't just come off like a 360 fanboy all the time.

SomeBritishDude said:
It's all been done before. I wish people would stop doing this. If your going to create a video game movie choose something that hasn't been done before. I'm sure Uncharted is a great game, but it's basically Indiana Jones.
Yes, but I loved the original indiana jones movies. I'd love to see them returned to their former greatness in the form of a new franchise, with new characters, and no nazis.