Anime Review: Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple

KValentine

Mar 4, 2009

It's The Karate Kid, if The Karate Kid were a generic action anime.

Read Full Article

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Another great review. But, I missing having these reviews come out on a daily basis.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Great review your explanation really reminds me of "Fighting Spirit" which was not a bad anime was just a little repetitive. These are the kinds of anime that are fun to have playing in the background while doing homework or something along those lines.

bue519 said:
Another great review. But, I missing having these reviews come out on a daily basis.
I agree although my wallet thanks the escapist for not every day.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
bue519 said:
murphy7801 said:
wow more bland anime great when the good stuff never gets mentioned.
Have you read the other reviews?
Im not criticizing the quality of the reviews just alot anime seems stuck in the dragon ball z bleach naruto escalating battles where some comes along who is more powerful and you have to up the power.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
murphy7801 said:
bue519 said:
murphy7801 said:
Im not criticizing the quality of the reviews just alot anime seems stuck in the dragon ball z bleach naruto escalating battles where some comes along who is more powerful and you have to up the power.
But that seems true with almost every form of entertainment. There are crappy games, movies, and books. Although I do think that anime has somewhat limited library in comparison to other forms of entertainment, which makes the crappy stuff stink that much more.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
bue519 said:
murphy7801 said:
bue519 said:
murphy7801 said:
But that seems true with almost every form of entertainment. There are crappy games, movies, and books. Although I do think that anime has somewhat limited library in comparison to other forms of entertainment, which makes the crappy stuff stink that much more.
Yes but I find there is some really creative anime but people seem to flock to what I would call more adolescent aimed show 10-16 yet there alot older if look outside Jp.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
The manga is better, by virtue of it not being finished yet (street gangs are the least of your worries). Great review. Kenichi is typical shonen fair though, so if it surpasses your expectations, it clearly did something out of the ordinary.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
KValentine said:

Read Full Article
How would you say it stacks up against shows like Hajime No Ippo, which seems right up the same alley? I haven't seen Kenichi, but I felt Hajime No Ippo did a good job of balancing its quirky humor, fairly well animated fights and a realistic story as to why he would be constantly going up against stronger opponents, it's a boxing tournament.

Matey

Jun 25, 2008
the show has its issues. but i actually really enjoyed it in the end. its not fantastic or anything. but its pretty enjoyable if you can ignore the fan service.
it gets a lot better in the second season as well. the leaders of the gang are much more interesting foes. siegfried alone makes the show worth watching.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Didn't know there was a black market in beach balls, though girls smuggling them makes sense.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Yeah, that's basically "Histories Strongest Disciple Kenichi." Oh, and I still call it be the more direct translation title, because, well, I've been calling it that since 12th grade (I'm technically going into my third year in college.)

An excellent review, covering the major problem with the series (the whole not actually showing large parts of the fights), but, well... eh, it was something to watch in between subbing of Busou Renkin.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
I haven't seen this, but I wonder if Miu's figure stands up to the stereotypical women of One Piece. Those women are easily the farthest from the actual human form than I have ever seen.

In any case, another great review, seems like they keep giving you average anime's to review though, well whatever, just keep up the good reviews.

KValentine

Mar 4, 2009
Slycne said:
KValentine said:

Read Full Article
How would you say it stacks up against shows like Hajime No Ippo, which seems right up the same alley? I haven't seen Kenichi, but I felt Hajime No Ippo did a good job of balancing its quirky humor, fairly well animated fights and a realistic story as to why he would be constantly going up against stronger opponents, it's a boxing tournament.
I only saw a couple episodes of Hajime no Ippo during college a few years ago. I remember being more interested in HnI after getting drawn into his story and was curious how they could make boxing interesting. Too bad the guy showing me that series got expelled before I could catch more and I forgot about the series until now.

supertoaster2

Jul 21, 2009
I have read the review and I must say I am surprised. I have seen all the series that was subbed, and say it is a great series. I am also current with the Manga.

I think what puzzles me is the reviewer has not really done his homework as the martial moves in the anime are genuine move in the particular martial arts.
The actual author in the Manga has discussed with various martial artist about their art and put it into the Manga.

They are subtle, so the non-martial artist won't worry too much about it, but they are there to be seen. I also found it interesting how the author mixed some mythology and history subtly into the anime. Again, it isn't in your face, but it is there if you are interested.

I think most people who don't appreciate this series, don't see that there is more depth than you first give credit to the series. But, I suppose you see what you can see.

This is where the reviewer has let themselves down very badly.

I think the character is astounding. I have seen Ramma 1/2. I can say I found these characters better, and more humorous.

The whole arc of the two series comes together nicely, and the sub-plots are amusing.

How would I describe the series as GREAT!!!

It is under-rated that those that only use one eye to view someting.

GREAT!!!!
BRILLANT!!!
GREAT!!!!!

foxthemysterious

Aug 24, 2009
i agree with you completely. this is a great anime.like the reviewer said it may be a similar anime, but there are a thousand love books written, yet they still sell. this world is getting bigger and bigger with so many ideas- they are most likely to repeat in several things...

but like how you stated that each technique that is explained is a real move! the writer did a great job explaining history, philosophies, and when the best time to use the moves are.

personally when i watched it i was surprised because a lot of action anime don't get into much detail of realistic moves.

but atleast Miu isn't an ignorant and dumb "physique" girl like a lot of anime. and kenichi isn't to stupid.

i think the reviewer would have given it a better rating if it wasn't so close to the timeline of the popular naruto and bleach series. it may look like this one is a copy cat, but if it would have came out later, it would be more popular.

i think its an outstanding series and hopes it gets completely dubbed and doesn't run on[and become dismissed] like inuyasha.