Kojima Talks Castlevania Involvement

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Kojima Talks Castlevania Involvement

Can we expect to sit through 20-minute cutscenes in between whipping vampires in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow? In a recent interview Hideo Kojima explained his level of involvement in the new 3D Castlevania reboot.

The revelation that Lords of Shadow, the new God-of-War-esque Castlevania game, didn't look horrible at all was fantastic news for series fans already, but knowing that esteemed designer Hideo Kojima would be adding his unique touch to development was the icing on the cake.

How much influence does Kojima have in the creation of Lords of Shadow, however? Are we going to start seeing codec conversations and political commentary in our Castlevania? Probably not. "Kojima Productions is playing more of a support role," Kojima told Famitsu. "This has become a big project, one with the idea that we needed to make a Castlevania which had that same kind of feverish Western support, and that's why Kojima Productions came in to help."

Kojima himself doesn't seem to have any direct input in development, but is sort of sitting back and sharing nuggets of wisdom to push the project in the right direction, having developer Mercury Steam "fix things based on my objective viewpoint" when he sees fit. So far he's done things like suggest the main character's face look more "heroic."

And apparently the man is satisfied with what he's seen so far. "I think it's safe to look forward to this title both as a Castlevania game and as an action game," he said, saying that "it's got great gameplay and great action, and the graphics are good even to Japanese eyes."

[Via 1UP [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175024]]

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
I never thought of Hideo Kojima as a sticker, something you could just stamp on a product as a useless advertisement ploy, but I can't shake the feeling that this is quickly becoming a recipe for disaster.

We all know that Kojima's best results yield from him giving undivided attention towards his games during the development process. In this game's case, he sounds more like a school teacher editing an essay.

This game is vitally important to the Castlevania franchise, and so far, it doesn't look like it has any depth or unique gameplay; I pray, for the love of all that is good and holy, that they don't fuck up.

If Mercury Steam really wants Hideo Kojima to have a role in this game, they NEED to utilize his full potential.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
I never thought of Hideo Kojima as a sticker, something you could just stamp on a product as a useless advertisement ploy, but I can't shake the feeling that this is quickly becoming a recipe for disaster.

We all know that Kojima's best results yield from him giving undivided attention towards his games during the development process. In this game's case, he sounds more like a school teacher editing an essay.

This game is vitally important to the Castlevania franchise, and so far, it doesn't look like it has any depth or unique gameplay; I pray, for the love of all that is good and holy, that they don't fuck up.

If Mercury Steam really wants Hideo Kojima to have a role in this game, they NEED to utilize his full potential.
I don't think the Castlevania franchise is in that much trouble, at least from what I've seen.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
randommaster said:
I don't think the Castlevania franchise is in that much trouble, at least from what I've seen.
Oh, the 2D games have been great. It's the 3D Castlevania games that are in trouble :)

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
oliveira8 said:
No Kojima! Zone of Enders 3! Go back to work on it!
Only if the fanbase demands it, as he siad on the Metal Gear Integral podcast.
Well..it worked once, it will work again.

To the deaththreat mobile!

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I was surprised back when I first saw the trailer for this game. The main character didn't look like a woman. If that is really Kojima's doing, then I can respect that.

All I can say is that it looks pretty awesome so far, I hope it turns out well, and that hopefully Kojima will produce Zone of the Enders 3 sometime soon.

Seriously, I needz meh Jehuty.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
That duck... It's hypnotic.
Did anyone else notice that Kojima and the duck have EXACTLY THE SAME EXPRESSION?

Because if you didn't, for your own sake, don't notice it. This picture is now my god. And my god wants slaves and dried corn...

@topic, I was bothered that newer Castlevania was starting to lose gameplay focus, getting bogged down in cutscenes and other designer conceits. Since Kojima is God of Designer Conceit, I can't imagine this is going to help matters.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
randommaster said:
Oh, the 2D games have been great. It's the 3D Castlevania games that are in trouble :)
Oh, well, yeah. Wasn't there only one? And didn't it suck more than ******* when the ***** are ******* in ******* for ******* lizards?

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
randommaster said:
HardRockSamurai said:
randommaster said:
Oh, well, yeah. Wasn't there only one? And didn't it suck more than ******* when the ***** are ******* in ******* for ******* lizards?
Actually, there are five 3D Castlevania games. To be fair, some of them were considered to be pretty good, but that doesn't stop me from being concerned about this new game.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
randommaster said:
HardRockSamurai said:
randommaster said:
Actually, there are five 3D Castlevania games. To be fair, some of them were considered to be pretty good, but that doesn't stop me from being concerned about this new game.
I might be confusing it with another franchise, then, or I may just have missed them. What systems were they for?

Lissa-QUON

Jun 22, 2009
randommaster said:
HardRockSamurai said:
randommaster said:
There have been four I think, 2 for the Nintendo 64, and two for the PS2.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
randommaster said:
HardRockSamurai said:
randommaster said:
HardRockSamurai said:
randommaster said:
I might be confusing it with another franchise, then, or I may just have missed them. What systems were they for?
There were two really crappy ones on the N64. Another two were basically Devil May Cry clones, but they still got a mostly positive reception; they were for the PS2.

And lastly, there was a recent Castlevania FIGHTING GAME on the Wii; needless to say, that one sucked ass.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
randommaster said:
HardRockSamurai said:
randommaster said:
HardRockSamurai said:
randommaster said:
There were two really crappy ones on the N64. Another two were basically Devil May Cry clones, but they still got a mostly positive reception; they were for the PS2.

And lastly, there was a recent Castlevania FIGHTING GAME on the Wii; needless to say, that one sucked ass.
Why is it needless to say that? It could have sucjed elbows, or something.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
randommaster said:
HardRockSamurai said:
randommaster said:
HardRockSamurai said:
randommaster said:

CastleVania 64 was awesome. Never played the second one though. And I'm planning to buy CastleVania Wii when it hits £10 or less. And Lament of Innocence on PS2 was decent, it was more exploration based than Devil May Cry.

milomalo

Mar 29, 2008
Keane Ng... you just love that picture dont you... its the 3rd time i see it here on the escapist... thats how i want people to remember me... as someone who sat in a duck XD