Blizzard Trademarks Trio of Cataclysms

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Blizzard Trademarks Trio of Cataclysms

PC behemoth Blizzard seems to be rather taken with the word "Cataclysm," having filed no less than three trademarks concerning the name. Cue wild speculation from the masses.

I suspect it may actually be someone's job to scour new postings in the world of trademarks purely for the sake of discovering new videogame-related listings. Hawk-eyed watchers discovered that last Friday, PC titan Blizzard filed a trio of trademarks, all involving the word "Cataclysm," though with enough variety between them that it's hard to nail anything down with certainty.

So, we'll wildly speculate.

The first listing mentions delivering computer games via some sort of online network, leading some to guess that Cataclysm will be the revamped Battle.net 2.0:

[blockquote]Entertainment services, namely, providing on-line computer games; providing computer games that may be accessed via a global computer network; and providing on-line information in the field of computer gaming entertainment[/blockquote]

Listing number two seems to clarify that it's referring to a game - or at the very least, game-related peripherals. Still, nothing that explicitly negates the idea of a Battle.net relaunch:

[blockquote]Computer game software and related instruction manuals and guides sold together as a unit; downloadable computer game software; interactive multimedia computer game program; mousepads[/blockquote]

...and then we come to the third (and final) trademark claim. This one is a bit of a doozy, and suggests a marketing full-court press on a scale that really wouldn't fit a new digital distribution platform:

[blockquote]Comic books, computer game strategy guides, trading cards, coloring books, adhesive stickers, rub-on transfers, notebooks, stationery-type portfolios, posters, greeting cards, calendars, instructional leaflets in the field of computer games, computer game instruction manuals, catalogs in the field of computer games, advertisement boards of paper or cardboard, photographs, art prints[/blockquote]

Now, it's no secret that Blizzard has been working on an unannounced next-gen MMO confirmed to be a brand-new IP, leading some to speculate that Cataclysm would be the name of this new title. Sounds vaguely post-apocalyptic, eh?

However, wowcataclysm.com [http://www.wow.com/2009/07/01/blizzard-files-trademark-for-cataclysm/] expired on June 26th - the same day that the claims were filed - and is now held by GoDaddy, the same site that handles all of Blizzard's domains.

So, might Cataclysm be the next expansion pack for the behemoth MMOG? It would fit with the lore, perhaps sending players to deal with one of the few forces on Azeroth more powerful than the Lich King - the Naga Queen Azshara, lurking in the depths of the Maelstrom. On the other hand, wasn't The Burning Crusade originally trademarked as World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade? Why drop the WoW name?

And more importantly, if it is the new WoW expansion, how the hell are we going to refer to it without a handy acronym like TBC or WotLK?

I suppose we'll find out more at next month's BlizzCon...

(Kotaku [http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/blizzard_entertainment_trademarks_cataclysm/])

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
I think it would be fine to just say "have you playd C yet?" There would be absolutely no confusion at all!

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Hmm, Blizzard those sneaky bastards... Hopefully it'll break another sale record. :p

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
im confused, have they just trademarked every possible use of the word Cataclysm?

RedPandaMan

I bought this to skip ads.
Oct 23, 2008
Hmm, hopefully this is going to be their new IP. However, knowing Blizzard and their ways, it will probably be the new expansion, which is good, but I want the IP more. Well, guess it's back to WoW for me if it is the expansion. And I'm making the acronym now: C3.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Every time I see that baby Murloc in the Terran Marine getup, I just sort of have a miniature gigglefit. Especially when I imagine the baby Murloc sounds [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jWo7Yjq-Tw] coming out of it.

On-topic... I really, REALLY cannot see Blizzard already getting started on an entirely new project when it's already working on WoW, SC and Diablo. Then again, I said that back just before the unveiling of Diablo 3, so don't go putting bets down based on my recommendations.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Cousin_IT said:
im confused, have they just trademarked every possible use of the word Cataclysm?
It's pretty common practice to have multiple trademarks for the same product, with some being specific and the others kept very board. The board ones will rarely hold up in court, but the simple hassle and court costs keep all but your largest competitors from going after it.

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
wowcataclysm.com isn't available anymore (apparently someone from Australia owns it now), and I don't see how its expiration has anything to do with anything. GoDaddy doesn't hold unpurchased/expired domain names... just domain names purchased through them. The WoW thing is obviously just an unrelated coincidence. If it had been purchased on the same day and registered to Blizzard, that would be something...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The Rogue Wolf said:
Every time I see that baby Murloc in the Terran Marine getup, I just sort of have a miniature gigglefit. Especially when I imagine the baby Murloc sounds [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jWo7Yjq-Tw] coming out of it.

On-topic... I really, REALLY cannot see Blizzard already getting started on an entirely new project when it's already working on WoW, SC and Diablo. Then again, I said that back just before the unveiling of Diablo 3, so don't go putting bets down based on my recommendations.
They've actually been working on one unannounced project *definitely* for a while now, and I believe there's a fifth something in the works, though far less is known about that one.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
I concur. Thanks to that image, the actual article has been rendered completely unreadable to my eyes. Ok, not quite, but it took a herculean effort to tear my eyes away from the pic! This could truly be Blizzards magnum opus, to use a certain term...:)

velcthulhu

Feb 14, 2009
Man, I can't wait to get my "instructional leaflet in the field of computer games: Cataclysm edition".

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
Maybe Blizzard just decided to screw with everyone and every month or two they will just get a bunch of random copyrights. This month it's Cataclysm, next month they will do Catastrophe, the month after that it will World of Warcraft: Magical Pony Adventures.

Every month they will get tons of confused and angry people drumming up press and site traffic trying to figure out what the fuck is going on.

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
Limos said:
Maybe Blizzard just decided to screw with everyone and every month or two they will just get a bunch of random copyrights. This month it's Cataclysm, next month they will do Catastrophe, the month after that it will World of Warcraft: Magical Pony Adventures.

Every month they will get tons of confused and angry people drumming up press and site traffic trying to figure out what the fuck is going on.
Hmm. Who said there wasn't an easy explanation for everything?

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
I think if they do Azshara I might actually go back to WoW once she's in, just because I was always a fan of her story. Plus she's a squid, and that's just cool.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
it could be a completely new game all together...

blizz said there werent doing an more expansions on the scale of wotlk/BC for wow anyway