Miyamoto: New Zelda Won't be "Radically Different"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Miyamoto: New Zelda Won't be "Radically Different"

Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto has claimed - in a surprising development sure to shock millions - that the new Legend of Zelda teased at E3 won't deviate too sharply from the series' roots.

It's hard to say much about the new Legend of Zelda that was barely mentioned last month at E3 - the only information we have thus far is, well, a piece of artwork [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92234-Your-First-Look-at-the-New-Zelda] featuring iconic green-clad hero Link and some ... statue-girl-thing. That's it. There's no name, no information, no release date: We know it'll be developed for the Wii from the ground up (unlike GameCube port Twilight Princess), but otherwise nada.

Perhaps, though, we know more than we think, just by playing previous entries in the Zelda series. In the latest issue of Nintendo Power, guru Shigeru Miyamoto quoteth: "I don't think it's going to be that radically different [from other games in the series]." Given that Nintendo is so well-known from deviating from their tried and true formulas that have raked in cash hand over fist, I can only imagine how shocked everyone will be at this breaking development.

So, let's take a stab at it: Link will be living a peaceful rural life when bad things happen in the kingdom of Hyrule. He will initially have to gather three of (magical item here) from various temples, and will then obtain the legendary evil-smiting Master Sword. Afterwards, Link will have a minor confrontation with the apparent villain of the game, who may or may not be a flunky for the real evil.

He will have to collect six or seven more (other magical item here), at which point he will proceed to the final confrontation with erstwhile villain Ganon(dorf) in order to rescue Princess Zelda and save Hyrule. There will be three golden triangles involved. He will get arrows, a boomerang, a grappling hook, and bombs. Whatever item you find in a given dungeon will be crucially important to defeating that dungeon's boss.

What do you guys think? I hope these ideas don't seem too radical, of course. It's not like they've done them before, right?

(Videogamer [http://www.aeropause.com/2009/07/read-a-long-with-nintendo-power-244-august-2009/])

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
You forgot to mention that during his rural life he will be doing meaningless missions for the villagers for about half an hour.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
You know, I suspect this development would upset me...if I hadn't enjoyed every other Zelda game I've played.

So, shocking development aside, I'm looking forward to this one.

Aug 13, 2008
iamq said:
You forgot to mention that during his rural life he will be doing meaningless missions for the villagers for about half an hour.
congrats, you can watch yahtzee

anyway, meh, i was hoping for a big change but as long as it's not waggle tastic ill be fine

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Blimey.
I almost got my hopes up then.

I'll still probably get it, because I'm a horrible Nintendo-whore and I hate myself.

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
The girl in the artwork looks a lot like the Great Fairy Queen from the Wind Waker to me. Anyone else see it?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
You also forgot to mention that just before the first dungeon you will receive an item that will be A) Mentioned in the game's subtitle and B) essential to the rest of the game.

Nostalgia

Mar 8, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Given that Nintendo is so well-known from deviating from their tried and true formulas that have raked in cash hand over fist, I can only imagine how shocked everyone will be at this breaking development.
Sarcasm?
Minus all their new puzzle-like games, new IPs, and casual games R&D throws out at times, things like Mario and Zelda have hardly seen any game-breaking changes.
When I played TP, I wasn't thinking, "OH! What have they done with my Zelda franchise?!"
It still felt like Zelda with a new overall theme and little changes. (twilight realm as opposed to the sea, Termina as opposed to Hyrule, wolf instead of masks, boat instead of horse, etc)

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
karkashan said:
The girl in the artwork looks a lot like the Great Fairy Queen from the Wind Waker to me. Anyone else see it?
The girl looks like his sword that's conveniently missing from his hand. I think this was discussed elsewhere.

As far as not deviating from what has been done before, I hope they offer Wii Classic Controller support instead of forcing players to use the waggle motions. I found Twilight Princess to be a bit annoying that way.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
The new Zelda will be the same as all the other Zeldas?! (except 2)

Well color me surprised and call my a monkey's uncle. I'm so flabbergastedly bamboozled, so blustered and famoozled... and just outright horrified at this completely unexpected development.

Thank God for the Escapist, or I would've had no way of knowing they were releasing the same game but shinier as always. Bravo kind sir... bra... vo...

PS. I'm passing on this just as I passed on twilight princess... and wind waker... and majoras... and ocarina... and various handheld versions... I'll just stick to A Link to the Past where the ideas were somewhat fresh... thanks

master m99

Jan 19, 2009
karkashan said:
oh ya i was trying to place who it was thanks =)

Vriggchan

Jun 18, 2009
I might buy a wii if this game is any good

edit: after rereading the thread i came up with more ideas and decided to post them in an edit rather than a new post. I love the Zelda cames not because they are predictable but because every new one is a different world. I mean this in the sense of link to the past compared to ocarina of time. they are the same game, except the enviroment is completely different. Each game has its own little changes but overall the games have always been the same. So its a good thing that zelda is not a total change remember majoras mask?

rickheg

Jun 17, 2009
karkashan said:
Yes. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw her too. She also vaguely resembles the Twilight Queen, I think, but I doubt there will be any connection, considering how rarely Nintendo series sequel themselves.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
I'll pick it up because if it follows the same fundamental formula, it is a great fundamental gaming formula and would still have some differences like story and gameplay additions. I'm fine with the variations as long as they're given enough time, really.

Also I'd actually have a new Wii game to play.

TriggerUnhappy

Mar 4, 2009
This was the biggest surprise I've had all day, harharhar. /sarcasm

Oh I love being clever and funny. Really though, did anyone expect this game to be radically different from the other Zelda's?

maxusy3k

May 17, 2008
Damn, Mr. Funk. Michael Pachter is probably fearing for his job security right about now with predictions like those!

Zelda is pretty much the 'if it ain't broke' formula ad infinitum. Usually, though, the little extra tweaks here and there are what make the game. Fingers crossed it'll continue to be innovatively-not-that-innovative once again.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
AmrasCalmacil said:
Blimey.
I almost got my hopes up then.

I'll still probably get it, because I'm a horrible Nintendo-whore and I hate myself.
That and even if you think it's horribly unoriginal and derivative, it's still better and more original than most games being released.