Why World of Warcraft Has No Aerial Combat

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Why World of Warcraft Has No Aerial Combat

Why can't you go on bombing runs in Gnome-engineered flying death machines? Because Blizzard just doesn't think WoW aerial combat's good enough, that's why.

People lucky enough to get into the Wrath of the Lich King beta last year were treated to a number of things that didn't make it into the final product, the most thrilling of which was the aerial combat that took place in the Wintergrasp PVP zone. Here you could take to the skies in a Gnome-crafted bomber and drop explosives on your foes below, while anti-aircraft machines tried to shot you down to the ground. It really put the "war" in World of Warcraft, quite literally.

So why didn't aerial combat end up in the final release? Because it just wasn't good enough, according to Blizzard's Tom Chilton. "If you look at a lot of games that have done flight simulation, there is a lot of care that goes into giving you that sensation of flying by having the world tilt and stuff like that so it feels a little less mechanical, feels a little bit more alive or more natural," Chilton said on last night's Blizzcast [http://eu.blizzard.com/blizzcast/archive/episode8.xml]. Nobody's asking Blizz to produce a Microsoft Flight Simulator level of verisimilitude here, but apparently there are standards to be kept over at Blizz, and apparently aerial combat didn't make the cut.

Chilton, however, does want to see dogfights and bomb runs in WoW eventually, and says that it's on Blizzard's to do list. The WoW team, he says, has plenty up their sleeve. "So one of the things that we have kind of tasked ourselves with doing is figuring out how to polish that, how to improve on our vehicle physics, there's still a lot of vehicle physics tech that we want to get in that didn't make it into the first pass of Lich King," he said.

Planes are all well and good, but how about some mounted air combat? I'm flying on my drake, you're flying on your griffon, and we clash swords in mid-flight. You know it would be epic.

[Via IncGamers [http://www.incgamers.com/Games/737/News/WoWNoAerialCombatForNow/15782]]

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Planes are all well and good, but how about some mounted air combat? I'm flying on my drake, you're flying on your griffon, and we clash swords in mid-flight. You know it would be epic.
We all know that the druids are the real winners here :D

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Well, thats quite decent in my opinion. Instead of jumping in with something they felt was sub parr, they have removed it, and are taking time to correct it and perfect it. I wish more companies did things like this. Admiral things.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
Rezfon said:
Keane Ng said:
Druids are so OP when it comes to mounts, they get them free, a couple levels early and its an instant cast.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
DamienHell said:
Rezfon said:
Keane Ng said:
Druids are so OP when it comes to mounts, they get them free, a couple levels early and its an instant cast.
You can take my Shadowmeld+Swift Flight Form when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
What about naval battles? Not that I would even consider playing WoW again if they did include naval battles. Heh heh...Oh God. Me seriously considering if I would ever play WoW again made me feel sick. I guess that's a no.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
DamienHell said:
Rezfon said:
Keane Ng said:
Screw druids. Scruids.

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
DamienHell said:
Rezfon said:
Keane Ng said:
Flight form is not free, it is 8g (but thats almost free :D), which saves you 1k g on the first flying riding skill. We still need to buy the epic riding if we want to get epic flight form. Also with Wrath, gold isn't any problem what so ever for any class, you can even get a free 60% mount in K3 (storm peaks) for use there.

Flight form is one of the very few comforts us druids have, it also gives us the slight glimmer of hope that there is a possibility that blizzard might still love us after all they have done to us :D

EDIT: the main point of my original point is that druids win because we can't be dismounted :p

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
SW:G already played with this and decided not to, I'm pretty sure. They occasionally run things with the starship models in the main environment and I've heard the game can be glitched into letting one snap into the atmosphere of a planet one is flying near. It doesn't load right, but there's most of the right planet below and so on.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
But....Well, considering the combat mechanic of WoW, wouldn't it just be, "Click on opponent, do a barrel roll for effect," sort of thing?

Usagi_dono

Mar 26, 2009
I still remember a guildmate who chased after a mage with his flightform, used moonfire and fell to his death and asking why he couldnt go back to flightform...