Elmo Thinks Games Are Good For Kids

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Not everyone thinks games are out to get children: A report from the minds behind Sesame Street details the many positive effects gaming can have on kids.

If you're here reading The Escapist, you're likely more than aware that videogames are the most relevant media form of modern generations: Children are just as likely to come home and fire up their Xbox as they are to plop down in the couch to watch some TV - if not more so. Yet as popular and important as games are in the life of today's youth, adults seem to not really understand them, and frequently buy into all the hype and uproar over the more controversial titles.

The Joan Ganz Clooney Center at Sesame Workshop - aka some of the minds behind iconic childrens' TV show Sesame Street - thinks that this needs to change. Videogames can be a force for good, says a recently-released report [http://www.joanganzcooneycenter.org/pdf/Game_Changer_FINAL.pdf], but very little is being done to examine exactly how games can have positive effects on youth. "Despite their reputation as promoters of violence and mayhem, digital games have in fact been shown to help children gain content and vital foundational and 21st century skills," the report claims.

Active games like Dance Dance Revolution have been adopted in physical education programs, and with the unveiling of Project Natal and the PS3's motion control, all three consoles have been moving toward supporting games that encourage motion beyond sitting sedentary on a couch. But games can help childrens' physical well-being beyond encouraging exercise, says the report, pointing to games like the cancer-fighting Re-Mission [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92356-Videogame-Helps-Kids-Fight-Cancer].

The full report is pretty lengthy, but it's a fairly interesting read if you've got time. It's actually very refreshing to see no less an authority on kids' development than Sesame Street talk about how the medium can be a force for good, rather than a force to teach children how to run over prostitutes with a Ferrari. Of course, it makes sense when you think about it: Sesame Street was one of the programs that initially showed how television could be used to educate children back when the ol' boob tube was the target of its own moral panic. Grover, Elmo, and Big Bird are no stranger to this sort of argument, that's for sure.

Perhaps most importantly, the report urges parents and caretakers to play games with their children in order to provide the proper context. It's unlikely that we'll see Bert and Ernie playing Gears of War co-op together anytime soon, or indeed any videogame presence on the show itself (One opponent teabagged... two opponents teabagged, ah-ah-ah!) but it's the thought that counts, right?

This post has been brought to you by the letters P, W, and N.

(CVG [http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2009/07/grover-elmo-give-video-games-the-thumbs-up.html])

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Who is that girl doll in the pic, I don't remember her from my youth.

But yeah games can be a good influence or a bad influence. Really it depends mostly on the mindset of the person playing it.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
the thing about the kids playing video games all the time is the fault of the parents. honestly they should limit the amount of game time kids have and force them to go outside and be kids and run around

then again parents should learn to let their kids actually do that without watching them like hawks and stopping them if they might scratch their knees a bit or covering them in sanitizer every time they touch some dirt or sand

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I remember playing the Sesame Street games for the NES wayyyy back in my youth. Good times.

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
It's actually very refreshing to see no less an authority on kids' development than Sesame Street talk about how the medium can be a force for good, rather than a force to teach children how to run over prostitutes with a Ferrari. Of course, it makes sense when you think about it: Sesame Street was one of the programs that initially showed how television could be used to educate children back when the ol' boob tube was the target of its own moral panic. Grover, Elmo, and Big Bird are no stranger to this sort of argument, that's for sure.
Good point.

CantFaketheFunk said:
ROFL!

Ka_huna

Jun 23, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
It's unlikely that we'll see Bert and Ernie playing Gears of War co-op together anytime soon
awww :(
I can just imagine Bert getting frustrated with Ernie not reviving him when he gets downed.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Ka_huna said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
It's unlikely that we'll see Bert and Ernie playing Gears of War co-op together anytime soon
awww :(
I can just imagine Ernie getting frustrated with Bert not reviving him when he gets downed.
I can see it now:

Bert: Revive me, Ernie, I need to get back into the game!
Ernie: Sorry, Bert, I've got to get rid of this Hunter!
Bert: REVIVE ME ALREADY YOU SON OF A BISCUIT
Ernie: Hey, that's not the kind of language you should be using!
Bert: *RAGE QUIT*

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:

(One opponent teabagged... two opponents teabagged, ah-ah-ah!) but it's the thought that counts, right?

So much win you just made my day. I'd give you cookies, but I eated them all.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
CoverYourHead said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

(One opponent teabagged... two opponents teabagged, ah-ah-ah!) but it's the thought that counts, right?

Agreed, couldn't have ended the article any better. I would like to offer up pie if the author is ever in my neck of the woods.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
I'm severely disappointed not to see a Sesame Street game propaganda clip. It's good to see game's potential in regards to aiding child development acknowledged though.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
:)

Well it also opens the door for them to again try Seseme Street video games, which to my knowlege have mostly failed horribly.

Honestly though now that the RL panic is over, I would like to see a "Grand Theft Elmo" minigame made somewhere. You know where you have to obtain an Elmo at any cost during a certain infamous holiday season... heavily armed shoppers all hitting the streets and stores at the same time after the hawt new toy at any cost. Blood flows like rivers...

Just imagine the multiplayer possibilities as one player manages to chainsaw through a mob and actually grab a Tickle Me Elmo from a pile of dismembered parts, only to run for the Wal*Mart speed pass and be turned to hamburger by other players using highly cusomized automaic weapons as they let fly on each other from the Aisles... finally a grandmother avatar limps up victorious to grab the package, multiple gunshot wounds, a missing eye, and extreme blood loss. Heroically she makes it to her car as phase two begins with the other players spawned with their own hightly customized holiday deathmobiles to enter into a last ditch effort to prevent her from making it home to wrap it....

Sure, running over Prostitutes wouldn't work, but you could have plenty of backround characters. Grenades hitting baby carriages as parents shop for teletubbies and get stuck in the crossfire (removing any child doomed to be reared on Teletubbies from the gene pool is not an atrocity but an act of humanitarianism!). The abillity to gun down those annoying Salvation Army beg-a-thon bellringers (I can almost hear the wet meaty thump of one of them hitting the safety glass of a mall entrance as I type this). While they haven't been around in reality for a while, just imagine plowing through groups of Christmas carolers with giant wheel spurs!

Indeed, I think Elmo is onto something here, and with an idea like that he definatly should get his own game.

Everyone contact your favorite game developer! Grand Theft Auto must be made into a mini-game for the AAA title of your choice. It doesn't matter which AAA titles as long as we one day get the ultimate "Reality Christmas Shopping Simulator". :)

>>>----Therumancer--->

>>>----Therumancer--->

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Anyone else want to see Elmo hold a big speech all about this, or is that just me and my weirdness.

Anyway, it's good to hear from people who have actually worked with kids before about this, instead of just more and more lawyers and politicians with limited knowledge on the subject.

CanadianWolverine said:
CoverYourHead said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

Agreed, couldn't have ended the article any better. I would like to offer up pie if the author is ever in my neck of the woods.
Possibly the greatest comments the news room has ever had in an OP. Well done, Mr Funk. Do you want some cake?

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
I agree with most of this article. I'm a dad and I play videogames with my daughter at least once a week, and she probably fires up her DS a few times a week. We're always playing Mario or Kirby, sometimes even Rock Band together.

I can't imagine my kids not liking videogames, and me not playing them with them (redundant sentence, I know).

ActualOvaltine

Jul 1, 2009
coxafloppin said:
Well said elmo, you sexy sexy beast.
In the words of Elmo.. "TICKLE ME! TICKLE ME!"

And yes, Elmo has gained some brownie points for this. Not that he needed anymore but still.

Skreeee

Jun 5, 2009
Elmo is always right, and you can't deny that because he knows where you live.

He'll do horrible...things...

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Since Sesame street was essentially my child and from my experience in psychology lessons it was also a lot of peoples (in both research and in my class) the next generation should be much more excepting of video games and not so quick to rush to generalisations every time someone blames something violent on manhunt/GTA