Twitter Comes to World of Warcraft

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Twitter Comes to World of Warcraft

Your dreams of being able to see what Ashton Kutcher is doing minute-by-minute while raiding Ulduar at the same time have finally come true thanks to TweetCraft, a Twitter client for World of Warcraft.

Two of the most ubiquitous, compulsively addictive and loved/hated forces in modern internet-life have finally come together with the advent of TweetCraft [http://tweetcraft.codeplex.com/], an add-on for World of Warcraft that makes letting everyone you know and even more people you don't know exactly how you're wasting your life right now easier than ever before.

Decked out to look like any other window in the WoW interface, TweetCraft lets you read and update your Twitter profile without alt-tabbing out of WoW. It does neat things like letting you upload in-game screenshots straight to Twitter via popular service TwitPic, sends out automatic updates when you get an Achievement or enter an instance, and more. You can tweak TweetCraft so it only sends updates when it's convenient for you, which might help some of your non-WoW enthusiast Twitter followers from de-following you after the 300th "I'm in Ulduar now" update.

The add-on was created by a staff of four, including two Microsoft employees, so you know this isn't some amateur stuff. The TweetCraft trailer certainly isn't - it's a bit more dramatic and polished than you'd expect for something as trivial as Twitter in World of Warcraft.

Oh okay, sorry if I stepped on any toes here, I know this kind of stuff is far from trivial for some of you guys. Because sometimes spamming guild chat with Achievement Unlocked notifications isn't enough. Sometimes you need to tell the entire world.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
This seems to be the only productive use for me to use twitter.

Yet, I still deny it -.-

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Two things lots of nerds love that I don't have finally been combined. At least this makes Twitter more accessible, I suppose, and no publicity is bad publicity.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
And people don't listen when I say WoW is getting WAY TOO CASUAL. This is worse than people playing Peggle in-game.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
UUUURRRRGGHHHH, this disgusts me to the point of... well, infinity really.
Twitter and FaceBook are the works of Pure Evil, I tell you!

ErGo

Feb 25, 2009
Whats the big deal ... gee you people like to overreact a lot.

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
I love that anything related to WoW is instantly filled with fire and brimstone and epic music. I dont think twitter deserves this badassery

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I for one support this even though I hate WoW with a passion.

/flamebait.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I love you, I was starting to get back into wow and now you have roundhouse kicked me away <3

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Don't like WoW, love Twitter. What a dreadful conflict.

Oh wait. I can still use Twitter outside of WoW.

This strikes me as being rather pointless unless you're absolutely attached to your Twitter. I can wait an hour or two to check in on mine: I don't need it breaking into my game time.

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Excuse me, waiter?
There appears to be a blog in my game.
I am now waiting for the LiveJournal add on, for maximum effect. "Omg wiped again, QQ, why can't they ever learn :( :( Three times now!! *headdesk*
mood: disheartened
music: Borean Tundra (Exclusive Track) - World Of Warcraft - Wrath Of The Lich King Soundtrack

Must say though the trailer/ad looks well put together, but still, it is disturbing. Shouldn't people be spending in game time, I don't know - playing the game? I suppose it does have a practical use as guilds set up guildtwitters to keep people posted as they raid.

No, wait, this is just still a bad idea.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Lord Thodin said:
I love that anything related to WoW is instantly filled with fire and brimstone and epic music. I dont think twitter deserves this badassery
Yeah, Twitter is probably one of the last things you think of when "epic" comes to mind.

WoW seems to just be taking more and more addicting things and cramming them into the game. Any day now, you can expect Blizzard to give you crystal meth as a reward for playing.

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
scotth266 said:
Don't like WoW, love Twitter. What a dreadful conflict.

Oh wait. I can still use Twitter outside of WoW.

This strikes me as being rather pointless unless you're absolutely attached to your Twitter. I can wait an hour or two to check in on mine: I don't need it breaking into my game time.
Your missing a very important point to the equation. They don't leave ever leave WoW, except on Tuesday mornings :)