Revived EGM Will Be More Than a Magazine

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Revived EGM Will Be More Than a Magazine

When Electronic Gaming Monthly comes back from the realms of the print media dead, it'll be more than a magazine - it'll be a full-on multimedia experience.

Electronic Gaming Monthly may have reanimation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88486-EGM-Laid-to-Rest-1UP-Sold-to-Hearst] courtesy of original owner Steve Harris, it'll be much more than it used to be. "First and foremost, we're planning to incorporate digital content within the magazine," Harris said. "This includes professionally-produced video, audio and other types of content."

This would be Harris' solution to the problem that words on paper just aren't good enough anymore. That's one problem facing magazines these days - another is the fact that nobody wants to carry around magazines when they have devices like iPhones or Kindles. That's not an issue for EGM, though, as Harris sees it.

"We benefit not only from the technology but from the consumer's willingness to use it," Harris said. "The new Electronic Gaming Monthly will let you take your magazine and its content from print to computer to wireless devices -- even to your television -- as well as enable subscribers and single-copy purchasers to enhance that experience every step of the way."

Guess the new EGM will be more than reading during toilet time. You can play games when you're in your living room, on the subway, or on the john. Why shouldn't the same be true for your game magazines?

[Via BitMob [http://www.bitmob.com/index.php/component/content/article/1/1663-big-hints-at-egms-future]]

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
More than a magaziiiiiiineeeeeeeeee

Yeah, I'm sorry. It just popped into my head, there. I just want them to stop sending Maxim to my house, already. I'll read whatever version of EGM you want me to, I promise!

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Will it be more than meets eye though? That's the real question.

On a more serious note, I wonder if this is going to be similar to Sony's Qore offering.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Waitwaitwait.

They stopped the magazine, and have now decided to bring it back in a whole new form? Why didn't they offer their subscribers to the previous magazine a subscribtion to this, even if it were only a pipe dream?

Now I'm stuck with a useless subscription to Maxim. Thanks guys. Why don't you just throw my subscription in the garbage instead...

I guess that I'll keep tabs on this because EGM was pretty neat, but I'm irked to say the least.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
Ok just mail me all your maxims!

Also if they went under for financial reasons how can they afford this now?

I burned them already.

But to answer your question: air travel companies can go bankrupt periodically. Finance is a bizzare are crafty beast, to be sure.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Keane Ng said:
original owner Steve Harris
Just to check. We're not talking about the Iron Maiden bassist are we?

On topic: I've never heard of EGM but I'll go investigate.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
scotth266 said:
Waitwaitwait.

They stopped the magazine, and have now decided to bring it back in a whole new form? Why didn't they offer their subscribers to the previous magazine a subscribtion to this, even if it were only a pipe dream?

Now I'm stuck with a useless subscription to Maxim. Thanks guys. Why don't you just throw my subscription in the garbage instead...

I guess that I'll keep tabs on this because EGM was pretty neat, but I'm irked to say the least.
EGM went under, and now it's been revived as a wholly separate business venture by a new group of people (who are ironically an old group) - so the people sending you and me Maxim don't have anything to do with this. You'll need to get a new subscription, though it sounds like payment options will be pretty various. Anyway, I'm not complaining about getting Maxim for free. Though that magazine isn't nearly as good as it was back when I was a teenager...

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Keane Ng said:
EGM went under, and now it's been revived as a wholly separate business venture by a new group of people (who are ironically an old group) - so the people sending you and me Maxim don't have anything to do with this. You'll need to get a new subscription, though it sounds like payment options will be pretty various. Anyway, I'm not complaining about getting Maxim for free. Though that magazine isn't nearly as good as it was back when I was a teenager...
Thanks for clearing that up.

Maxim is boring/irritating to me. I get more excited over an issue of TIME arriving at my doorstep... but maybe it's just me.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
Excellent. Glad to see those boys coming back. i hope they have some of the same staff like Shoe. I was a big reader for years but I eventually did not renew my subscription because I could get news faster online with 1up, IGN, and of course The Escapist.

It will be interesting to see what they do. :)

-Jon Etheridge
-Creator of Apocalypse Lane

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
ZOMBIE EGM

Bigger, faster and slightly more water resistant than the original EGM.
Being able to stack with hundreds of other forms of media, this truly is a magazine for the next generation of gamers.

knightguy123

May 20, 2009
scotth266 said:
Waitwaitwait.

at least you got that i didnt get anything

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
scotth266 said:
Keane Ng said:
Thanks for clearing that up.

Maxim is boring/irritating to me. I get more excited over an issue of TIME arriving at my doorstep... but maybe it's just me.
Um.. I got MAXIM too. Okay its a magazine full of hot girls with their clothes on. I CAN GET [b/]VIDEOS[/b] OF GIRLS WITHOUT ANY CLOTHES ON FUCKING EACH OTHER FOR FREE. Who could honestly be dense enough to buy that?

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I will gladly accept all Maxims you have to throw away. I will sell them to sexually frustrated 14 year olds for a profit! Brilliant plan.