Review: Saints Row 2

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Thank you, my GTA fanboy friends get angry when I say I like both. Actually I only have 5 more gamerscore in GTA 4 than Saints row 2.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
HOLY SH!T MY REVIEW HAS BEEN POSTED!!!!!!!

Ghostwise said:
Probably my favorite game on the 360 right now. While a decent review I'm a little shocked that there is no mention of the multiplayer modes or the magnificent co-op option. My brother and I are having an absolute blast playing together over xbox live. No mention of the 2 DLCs either. :( I should also point out that I didn't have to do a single activity to progress the story after about 15 regular story missions/strongholds. Considering there are over 50 all together that isn't that big of a deal. :) I love this game though. It's a riot!
I actually wrote this review before the DLC was released and the multiplayer wasn't really all that important to mention. It's pretty generic if you ask me (i've only played a few matches).

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I wonder about those screenshots. The review made a point (two points, actually) of describing the graphics as pleasantly colorful rather than "Dystopia Brown", but those screencaps look pretty sepiatoned to me.

HeartAttackBob

Sep 11, 2008
This review (and others) criticize the mini-games as annoying and repetitive. Personally I found <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/stolen-pixels/5846-Stolen-Pixels-72-Idle-Hands target=self>most of them to be quite amusing, and you only need to do a handful of them to unlock new storyline missions. I didn't go out of my way to play mini games and I never encountered a time when I didn't have enough reputation to play a new story mission.
Also, the mini-games unlock funny or awesome extras, like a pair of fully automatic pistols with unlimited ammo. I ended up finishing Far more than was necessary to complete the entire storyline.

Playing as a woman in Saint's Row 2 makes the already silly cutscenes absolutely hilarious, and I highly recommend it. There is nothing in GTA half as funny as having my buff female avatar with a sultry Latina voice and black top hat declare that "this place needs some stripper poles and bitches".

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Steve the Pocket said:
I wonder about those screenshots. The review made a point (two points, actually) of describing the graphics as pleasantly colorful rather than "Dystopia Brown", but those screencaps look pretty sepiatoned to me.
I wondered that as well...I wonder who picked them...

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
HeartAttackBob said:
Also, the mini-games unlock funny or awesome extras, like a pair of fully automatic pistols with unlimited ammo. I ended up finishing Far more than was necessary to complete the entire storyline.

Playing as a woman in Saint's Row 2 makes the already silly cutscenes absolutely hilarious, and I highly recommend it. There is nothing in GTA half as funny as having my buff female avatar with a sultry Latina voice and black top hat declare that "this place needs some stripper poles and bitches".
Having unlimited ammunition made the game WAY too easy...and playing as a woman is very funny, especially if you make her obese and elderly... (no offense to any real women)

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
I really enjoyed this game just as much as I enjoyed GTA4. Yeah, they are both different, but that's a good thing. I like GTA but I think they dropped the ball with losing some of the customizeable elements they had in San Andreas with the cars, clothes, property. Saints Row 2 fills that gap nicely.

-Jon Etheridge
-Creator of Apocalypse Lane

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Anyone with a PC version to tell me if it's worth it, or are the problems as serious as I've heard?

Grand_Poohbah

Nov 29, 2008
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Thank you, my GTA fanboy friends get angry when I say I like both. Actually I only have 5 more gamerscore in GTA 4 than Saints row 2.
I don't understand why some people care if you like a certain game.

BTW fricken sweet avatar!

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Grand_Poohbah said:
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
I don't understand why some people care if you like a certain game.

BTW fricken sweet avatar!
Thank you I new Totodile was a good change of pace.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I loved this game; when I got it LAST YEAR.

Personally I found most of the minigames to be very engaging and rewarding: besides respec' you often get additions to your arsenal, vehicles, and other powerups for completing them.

This game was my answer for the GTA4 Blues. Don't get me wrong, GTA 4 was a much more slick and sophisticated but it didn't really have much beyond the story missions and what they did have only rewarded you with achievement trophies. I'm not saying I was expecting a next gen san andreas but I thought we'd at least get a next gen gta3. Even the dlc only added more missions and superfluous crap; not the stuff that was missing.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
I was not impressed. The car controls were horrible and it was impossible to speed up and turn the camera at the same time resulting in crashing into a lot of things the player can't see. The graphics and city was generic and bland. The protagonist is such an asshole, I felt more sympathy for most of the enemies. (S)he spends more time trying to hurt the enemies than gaining power. For instance the protagonists will blow up enemy drug labs instead of take them over. The activities relied mostly on shock value. For instance, the activity were you shoot sewage all over the town might seem fun until you realize it's just a very very slow paced rail shooter. Enemies had a nasty habit of respawning in cars that run into you and kill you without warning. The AI is so bad that I had to dress my guys up like ninjas to tell the difference between the two guys shooting at me. I hated any level where I had to use allies.

May 7, 2008
i think each game has what the other one wants...i won't list else i'll get fan boys after me.but i enjoyed both and game creators have to take changelling steps and rock star did and it didnt work for some people.if they made the same old thing we wouldnt have met the new characters now or giggle when we say ''titties'' in that accent.as for saints row 2 great! you made a fun random but still had a story game with...interesting side missions. ((monster truck thing was pretty bad ass)).

i'll stop now...

Lordkeppington

Jun 19, 2009
I enjoyed Saints row 2 slightly more than GTA IV as Theres alot more and i like how on Saints row you get a parachute as its one of the most useful things to have when falling out of a helecopter that I can't seem to fly very well.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
I definitely loved the bits that I could play of the game, but my frame rate (PC version) is so bad in some areas (mostly driving) that it seems impossible to complete the missions that require you to chase someone down within a certain time limit.

I do have a borderline min-spec'd machine, though (circa 6 years old). I've uninstalled it for the moment, but I'm definitely going to give it another go when I get around to upgrading my hardware.

But I can definitely say that the activities and diversions are usually a lot more fun than the missions. Which is why I've been losing interest in GTA -- it focuses on the missions (which are still less fun) and is leaving the diversions to flounder.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I dunno why everyone bashes GTAIV...

I personally enjoyed the game and the multiplayer was great...

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but I don't see how GTAIV really dropped the ball...

TheVaultDweller

Jun 26, 2009
GTA IV and SR II were both great games, in a different sense of "Great" for each.

GTA IV was a grittier, darker, more serious game where some things (Such as the shooting system, driving system, etc) that tried to revolutionize the game series up until itself, which I think it did pretty well.

SR II did what it did best - A completely un-serious game (With one or two real serious moments throughout the whole game) that played like more of a game to laugh at and just screw around in.

I personally like SR II a tiny bit more, but that doesn't mean GTA IV was turrible.