New Mechwarrior Game Rumored

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Mechwarrior Game Rumored

Reports are surfacing that Vancouver-based Piranha Games [http://www.piranha-games.com/index.html] is working on a new Mechwarrior game and unlike most rumors, this one is accompanied by a video.

It was 20 years ago that the original Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MechWarrior_(video_game)].

When Microsoft Smith & Tinker [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/76892-FASA-Studio-Shuts-Down], saying he wanted to "surprise and delight old fans, while welcoming new fans to these fantastic worlds."

That moment of surprise and delight may be rapidly approaching: Voodoo Extreme has posted a nine-second teaser [http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/48872/Dear-Sir-Youve-Parked-Your-Mech-On-My-Lawn] along with a message saying, "Perhaps a Piranha will post a proper trailer later in the week?" A link to the original Smith & Tinker announcement regarding the FASA rights is also included.

You don't get to see much in nine seconds, true, but this sure looks like a new Mechwarrior game. For one thing, those flags on the left side of the screen as the video opens are blurry but don't try to tell me that's not the this one [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federated_Suns]?

Stay tuned.

via: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/rumor-control/909119209/26948661/piranha-arming-new-mechwarrior.html]

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
Woot! While I preffer Armored Core to Mech Warrior, Mech Warrior 2 was the first Mecha game I actually owned. A sequel to that would be fantastic.

KaZZaP

Aug 7, 2008
If a new MechWarrior game gets announced the same year as Golden Sun DS I will be totally convinced that I am dead and have gone to heaven.

Laura.

May 30, 2009
I hope this comes out before that Crysis battletech mod someone is supposed to be making...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I apologise for this in advance, but.

OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!

If this is true it's the best (gaming) news all year. I really really hope it goes towards a more MW2/3 style of play rather than 4/Assault's arcadey gubbins, but even then it would be awesome.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
LimaBravo said:
truly encompass proper hardcore heat dissipation, scavenging, hit locations & armour boxes.
Yes please, what he said. I would also like to see a ridiculous number of mechs, throw the whole cannon in. Recent titles have been whittled down to include all but a few perennial favorites.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
FUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESF
UCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFU
CKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYESFUCKYES

That's the best news I've heard all year. *jumps out of chair*

Edit: If the keep the salvage system for the campaign the same as it was in Mech three, that'd be amazing. Plus
proper hardcore heat dissiptation, scavenging, hit locations & armour boxes.
Would restore my faith in humanity.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I use to love Mechwarrior in every form. Would love a new game, though I'm hesitant on how well it will be. At least it has FASA's main man on it.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
All I can say to that is: Hell ****ing Yes! There is indeed a god! I am a big fan of not just the games, but the entire battletech universe. It started for me with Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, and the rest was history.
Slycne said:
LimaBravo said:
truly encompass proper hardcore heat dissipation, scavenging, hit locations & armour boxes.
Yes please, what he said. I would also like to see a ridiculous number of mechs, throw the whole cannon in. Recent titles have been whittled down to include all but a few perennial favorites.
This, and I would love to see the conquest concept they tried in Mechassault 2 done right, with all the inner sphere and the clans. That would be so awesome.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Laura. said:
I hope this comes out before that Crysis battletech mod someone is supposed to be making...
I have to ask this, why?

Being a Crysis mod will limit Living Legends (that's it's name and it looks amazing) audience. But even then there's nothing wrong with having two mech games to play with.

Worst case scenario is you get to play one while waiting for the other, to me that's good thought.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I still play the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack from time to time, and I remember when the board game was called Battledroids... so yeah, I'm a bit pumped by the idea that we'll be returning to the Inner Sphere soon.

-- Steve

PS: I miss Marauders.

Laura.

May 30, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Laura. said:
I have to ask this, why?

Being a Crysis mod will limit Living Legends (that's it's name and it looks amazing) audience. But even then there's nothing wrong with having two mech games to play with.

Worst case scenario is you get to play one while waiting for the other, to me that's good thought.
What I meant to say is that these kind of total conversion mods always take forever, and I don't want to wait that long for this rumored new Mechwarrior game.
I know modding is time consuming and can take very long and I'm not complaining (since I do nothing to help!), I was just saying "I wish this comes out in 2010" :p

GordonFawx

Mar 19, 2008
Excuse me while I SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

GodIhopetheydon'tbolloxthisuplikeMicroshaftdid.

And it sure as hell better come out for PC.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Slycne said:
LimaBravo said:
EVE Online meets MW. I will loose my freaking mind.

ZeeClone

Jan 14, 2009
Double plus awesome.

I loved the orignal mechwarriors.

/me goes to dig out kitfox schematics...