Jack Thompson Facing Federal Court Disbarment

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Jack Thompson Facing Federal Court Disbarment

Former attorney Jack Thompson has been ordered to explain why his disbarment in Florida shouldn't also apply to the federal courts.

Thompson was disbarred [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86463-Jack-Thompson-Disbarred-UPDATED] by the Florida Supreme Court in September 2008, the result of his antics and bad behavior in and out of the courtroom which Judge Dava Tunis described as "cumulative misconduct" for which he not only showed no remorse but refused to even acknowledge as inappropriate. Since then, Thompson has apparently taken the position that the disbarment only applies to Florida's state court system and has been describing himself in emails as a "once and future attorney" who is still admitted to practice law in U.S. District Court system.

But the "I'm still a lawyer" loophole may be closing soon. Judge Federico Moreno, chief justice of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, has issued an order directing Thompson to submit a filing explaining why he shouldn't be subject to the "identical discipline" in federal court.

Thompson and Moreno have encountered one another previously: Moreno sent two U.S. Marshals [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/06/16/breaking-us-marshals-pay-jack-thompson-quota-visitquot] to interview Thompson after he wrote a letter to the judge comparing himself to prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, saying, "I guess my 'mistake' was not killing 3000 people to make my point." For his part, Thompson claimed Moreno improperly placed him on a "terrorist watch list" after Thompson sent him a letter alleging judicial misconduct by U.S. District Court judges.

Is it possible that Thompson could be given a lifetime disbarment by the Florida Supreme Court and yet somehow avoid a similar fate with the federal courts? The order requires him to include all documents related to his state disbarment, so the U.S. District Court will have a clear look at what exactly drove the Florida court to take such strong action against him. Thompson has 30 days to comply with the order.

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/07/07/us-district-court-judge-gives-jack-thompson-30-days-explain-why-he-shouldn039t-also-be-di]

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
Jack Thompson is the kind of person that you in no way feel sorry for. When bad things happen to him, it makes me smile. Not because he's against video games, I have some friends who don't like video games. But because of the way he went about protesting video games i.e. Slander and other such illegal conduct.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
GOODGODTAKETHATPICTUREDOWN!

It's scary O_O'

It's about time this closed-minded madman got what was coming to him.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Psychosocial said:
See? His life is ruined.

Don't.
Fuck.
With.
Videogames.

It's simple, isn't it? :D
no its more of dont be a dumbass in what you do

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Well, it wasn't his motives that pissed me off. More the way he put them across.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Ah, good ol' Jacko... the giant sack of crazy that never runs out.

Here's to the Feds giving him the same that he got from Florida.

-- Steve

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
It's been a long time coming, but hopefully now I can say,

"And YOU...ARE...OUTTA HEEEEEEERE!!!"

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Psychosocial said:
It's simple, isn't it? :D
It's more of a "Don't go round attacking everyone you work with/for/against ever, eventually they will attack back,"

Between his efforts against gay people, judges, other lawyers, rappers and lately videogames he managed to alienate pretty much everyone who could have stepped in to help him.
I don't think his targetting games specifically had much to do with his eventual disbarrment, it was just what he was targetting when all the people he had attacked previously decided they had had enough.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I dunno about this, it really just paves the way for another asshole to pick up the pieces where Thompson failed.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Why does he remind me of the Al Gore impersonation from South Park?

"There is a new threat facing America today. And its called vidjamagames. It doesn't care what you are, or what you've done. It just wants you dead. I'm super cereal! (serious for the non south park watching demographic.)

We must all fight against vidjamagames, so when the dust settles, everyone will say, "Jack Thompson, you're super awesome!"

ZeeClone

Jan 14, 2009
Ah Jackie, the real life troll. When is the great moderator going to bring down the banhammer on you and revoke your breathing privileges?

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
im pretty sure that if you are disbarred by the florida supreme court and then ignore them there are ramifications in all of the other states

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
NoMoreSanity said:
DamienHell said:
Jack Thompson is the kind of person that you in no way feel sorry for. When bad things happen to him, it makes me smile. Not because he's against video games, I have some friends who don't like video games. But because of the way he went about protesting video games i.e. Slander and other such illegal conduct.
Oh no, I'll be sad if he's gone simply from the enjoyment of watching him froth. To even begin listing the idiotic things he's done would take a while, but suffice to say he's a humorous man.
No cause thats the best part, if he does lose his lawyer powers everywhere he'll just make an idiot out of himself HARDER! It'll be awesome.