Sony Has No Plans for a "New PlayStation Experience"

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Sony Has No Plans for a "New PlayStation Experience"

Sony has no plans to completely revamp the PS3 interface like Microsoft did last year with their New Xbox Experience.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That's the philosophy Sony is taking in regards to their PS3 XrossMediaBar interface. They have no plans to institute some wide-scale revision of the way their interface looks or functions like Microsoft did when it updated the Xbox 360's firmware with the New Xbox Experience.

"What we find is that people really like our current interface," Sony director of network operations David Lempel said. "We did redesign the PlayStation Store last April to make some improvements, make it faster, make it better, and we're always listening to consumers. But right now the XMB is an Emmy Award-winning interface and people like it."

Since when did the Emmys give out awards to videogame console interfaces? Well, I'm not complaining. XMB's elegant, easy to use and looks pretty damn slick, so I'm happy with it. Nevertheless, Sony is still looking to make some changes to the system. "We'll still do some research behind the scenes and see what can we do to make things better, or how can we make it so consumers find content faster, but right now we're pretty happy with it," Lumpel said. "No plans right now to do anything like what the competitor has done."

So if you were afraid that XMB and PlayStation Home would collide into some virtual world game interface amalgam, rest easy. The PS3 interface is here to stay.

[Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=219023]]

Hot'n'steamy

May 14, 2009
GodsOneMistake said:
ehh its alright, I think it's kind of bland though, a change would be nice
there are so many themes that can radically alter the interface if you want to look around for something different.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Then again, people really liked the old 360 interface, but they still changed it.

It's not too important anyway, like you said, if it ain't broke...

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
GodsOneMistake said:
ehh its alright, I think it's kind of bland though, a change would be nice
If you think it's bland I'd be more than happy to make you a custom PS3 theme.

On Topic: Good, I like the XMB as it is. Easy to use, easy to create custom themes.

IntoxicatedKnight

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah, I like the XMB. The only thing I want different is a new update that lets me change my online name; not that I want to right now, just there in case. Other than that good idea by Sony.

Ka_huna

Jun 23, 2009
I love the XMB, it's so easy to use. I'm happy they're going to keep it the way it is :)

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Tenmar said:
Guess people would rather explore options horizontally instead of vertically.
Actually the article said that users like the system the way it is now, which is vertical... so I guess they'd rather it be vertical...

Unless that was a jab at the PS3 having less users than.... ohhh I see what you did there! Nice work, yes more people play games on the Xbox, well played sir. Well. Played.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Emmy? Really?

Anyway, I really like how it is. I have Anime Sniper Girls right now, and I love it.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
ChromeAlchemist said:
Then again, people really liked the old 360 interface, but they still changed it.

It's not too important anyway, like you said, if it ain't broke...
The old Xbox interface was pretty terrible.

The PS3 one isn't too bad, but it's not great when there's a lot of options in a menu, more categorisation and submenus would make navigating it somewhat more comfortable.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Tenmar said:
Guess people would rather explore options horizontally instead of vertically.
Horizontal display of content makes more sense on a system that's designed for a widescreen display.